X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct Comission

I am hoping to get some information as I am thoroughly confused by what I am reading with respect to AR publications and SGT Star. I an currently serving in the Navy Reserve as an enlisted Master at Arms E4. I am mobilizing to HOA this May. Upon return I will be 41. I am seeking to do a conditional release and transfer to the Army. I'm very interested in becoming an officer as I think it is a better fit for me than the enlisted side. However time is against me. I thought direct Commission would be a viable alternative to OCS as per my age. I would be seeking basic branch non specialty preferably as an intel officer or combat arms MP etc. I will have three years military experience in maritime security-expeditionary warfare, a BA degree in criminal justice, and a graduate certificate in Terrorism studies. Understanding I have to complete Army BCT first - My questions with respect to becoming an officer are as follows: 1) Am I eligible for a direct commission by age whether it be AR or ANG? If not what is the best avenue to proceed to becoming an officer considering my age? 2) if I am eligible for DC - is it probable that I could get selected? Or does my limited background fail to make the radar for direct commission? From what I am reading it seems this program is more for senior enlisted with substantial military backgrounds. 3) If I submit a package for direct commission how long would that process take to be selected? I have read that I would be eligible to apply while deployed so I would want to time it accordingly. 4) My home state is NJ but for the Navy I drill in CT. I would be able to drill/serve in NJ, PA, NY,CT, RI, DE. From what I read on the posts states have different OCS requirements - do any of these states accommodate my situation any better ? Please advise - V/R

You would not qualify for DC for the NG and you missed the cutoff for USAR FY14 DC board. You could still look at warrant officer options.

Comment

• Njtiger888
      Njtiger888 commented
      Editing a comment
      When is the FY 2015 DC board?

Have you googled HRC USARC DC? That's how I found the board date.

Comment

You have up to 46 to become a Warrant but your Army equivalent MOS is MP (31B) and they do not have an explicit WO MOS. The only option is to then attempt to go CID and enter as an enlisted; become an NCO and after 3 to 4 years apply for the CID Warrant Officer MOS (311A); granted that you have above par NCOERS (fitness reports).
      Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; March 24th, 2014, 04:24 PM.

Comment

what about direct commission? am I eligible for that? ..is there an age waiver past 42?

Comment

• SF Hunter
          SF Hunter commented
          Editing a comment
          The Army National Guard (ARNG) utilizes direct commissioning only for specialty officer branches, ie JAG, Chaplain and AMEDD. Direct Commission is not an actual "option" you can choose. Its a recommendation by a current officer within that specific branch for applicants with either exception leadership traits, skills or very specific educational requirements; hence the specialty branches.

The Army Reserve (USAR) may consider direct commission for basic officer branches, which is why RedLeg mentioned the HRC DC board. So, its recommended that you contact a regular Army recruiter to determine your options with the Reserves.

Best of luck.
          Last edited by SF Hunter; March 25th, 2014, 11:42 AM.

• Polo08816
          Polo08816 commented
          Editing a comment
          The Army National Guard (ARNG) utilizes direct commissioning only for specialty officer branches, ie JAG, Chaplain and AMEDD. Direct Commission is not an actual "option" you can choose. Its a recommendation by a current officer within that specific branch for applicants with either exception leadership traits, skills or very specific educational requirements; hence the specialty branches.
          There's the ARNG way.... and then there's the NJ ARNG way. (sarcasm).

There was a FA officer serving in one of the S-shops of my former BN who was a DC. He was previously an E-6 with a FA MOS and then magically DC'd into a basic branch.

so after jumping through hoops of fire i have finally being approved to go before the board to become a chaplain candidate - i noticed my packet said direct commission to O2E (im prior service) is this correct or a typo on my OSM side? i usually hear CC's only come in as O1

thank you and any opinters on prepping for the board would be awesome....again, thanks

Comment

Greetings Leaders!
          I am putting together a 70B direct commission packet, but need a medical waiver. No one in the R&R command seems to know how or where to start with that. Can anyone here offer the proper course of action? Is it as simple as a memo to the Proponent (AMEDD)? Or is there more to it? Appreciate any and all guidance! --cheers

Comment

I'd recommend you work through an AMMED recruiter as they have specific requirements. OP was talking about direct commissioning into a basic branch which have very different rules.

Comment

Working...
            X