Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for hard copy instruction for Army NG Officer paths.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for hard copy instruction for Army NG Officer paths.

Every branch of the military preaches doing things "by the book". However, after many talks with several recruiters in 3 states, as well as other personnel, officer and enlisted over the past 18 months, NOT ONE PERSON can tell me what instruction is used for someone to apply for a commission in the Army National Guard. PLEASE, somebody, show it to me. The best I have come up with through my own research is Army Regulation 135-100, but nobody has seemed to be able to confirm this.
    For example, the Navy uses the OPNAVINST 1420.1(series). Within this is everything a person needs to know on how to get started with their package. (HINT: this is what Navy recruiters use to assist recruits with the process, regardless of whether they are applying for the Naval Academy, LDO/CWO, STA-21, Direct OCS... whatever) Over the past year and a half people have made it seem like I am speaking an unheard language when I simply ask what guidance the NG uses to have people apply. Folks, I am not that smart and it actually scares me to find so many people, especially recruiters (who should be using it) and officers (who obviously went through it) that have no clue. I can NOT be the first person to ask this question...PLEASE, I respectfully request someone be the first to give me an legitimate answer.
    I may already be correct with the AR 135-100, but a genuine confirmation would be excellent. Thank you.
    Last edited by Droner; March 7th, 2014, 02:18 AM.

Originally posted by Droner View Post
    Every branch of the military preaches doing things "by the book". However, after many talks with several recruiters in 3 states, as well as other personnel, officer and enlisted over the past 18 months, NOT ONE PERSON can tell me what instruction is used for someone to apply for a commission in the Army National Guard. PLEASE, somebody, show it to me. The best I have come up with through my own research is Army Regulation 135-100, but nobody has seemed to be able to confirm this.
    For example, the Navy uses the OPNAVINST 1420.1(series). Within this is everything a person needs to know on how to get started with their package. (HINT: this is what Navy recruiters use to assist recruits with the process, regardless of whether they are applying for the Naval Academy, LDO/CWO, STA-21, Direct OCS... whatever) Over the past year and a half people have made it seem like I am speaking an unheard language when I simply ask what guidance the NG uses to have people apply. Folks, I am not that smart and it actually scares me to find so many people, especially recruiters (who should be using it) and officers (who obviously went through it) that have no clue. I can NOT be the first person to ask this question...PLEASE, I respectfully request someone be the first to give me an legitimate answer.
    I may already be correct with the AR 135-100, but a genuine confirmation would be excellent. Thank you.
    You are probably getting those looks because it is not your responsibility to build your packet. It is your recruiters.

Comment

I am asking these questions because my recruiter has "talked" like he was eager to help, but his actions have been less than motivational. A few days ago we arranged to meet this morning. I called him 45 minutes prior to verify the meeting place (because it was going to be at a middle ground between my home & his office) and he informed me..."Oh, I am not in town today, sorry." One question...why not call me to cancel as soon as you know you will be out of town? Why wait for me to call you? Obviously these are questions for him, not this forum, but I am starting phone calls to other recruiters in the state. Maybe someone else is struggling with their April quotas and will give me some more courtesy.

Comment

Good idea about making phone calls. Yes, the recruiter initiates the packet process and ensures you are meeting it prior to submission.

Here are some links and POCs that you can call for further info.

http://www.txarng.com/ocs

http://dmna.ny.gov/arng/ocs/?id=ocs2

http://dmna.ny.gov/arng/ocs/OCS_Checklist.htm

The NY Guard info pertains to already enlisted members but you can get an idea of what you may need to provide.
        Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; March 7th, 2014, 02:32 PM.

Comment

You might be looking for NGR 600-100.

Having this regulation might not help you as much as you think it might, because uninterpreted information is not the same as knowledge (and knowledge is not the same as wisdom).

Comment

Thank you for the replies. At least that OCS checklist has reference publications listed within the documents to let you know what makes that particulate document legal. I also understand there is little replacement for wisdom, which is exactly why I am doing this. Once I went from being a leading technician and supervisor into a quality assurance position, it opened my eyes even more to the complacency of people saying "I don't know why we do this, it is just how I was taught, and the way we have always done it." Perhaps that is no big deal with some paperwork drills, but mistakes from that kind of training can kill a person, or at least kill a career. "Trust, but verify"

Comment

Droner, NG OCS is not like other branches/components. You don't need the packet to be approved to be accepted into OCS as long as you meet the minimum requirements. If you do the traditional route, your packet is built as you go along.

Comment

Working...
              X