X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State OCS in New York

Hey everyone, a little update on me is that i enlisted a few days ago as a 68w-medic. I ship out on 20140902 to ft sill then im headed to FTSAMH. I will definitely look into getting a sooner ship date though. I'm excited about this opportunity and i plan on being the best medic i can be.

Anyway, when i get back, i am going straight to school.I read that you can attend OCS one weekend a month for 18 months if you have 60 credits and you can be commissioned at 90. How competitive is this program here in the state of NY? Any information or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Every state offers a State OCS program but it can be very challenging in that, as you mentioned, takes 18 months to complete. You should understand the amount of commitment it will take, not only during a drill weekend but much time invested not during drills. Also, in NY, State OCS is conducted in Camp Smith, which is upstate and can be a bit far to travel depending on where you live.

I'm in no way trying to discourage you, you should just realize it's no cakewalk. The cycle typically starts in the Spring and consists of two, two-week AT's.

Best of luck!!

Comment

What do you mean when you say "time invested not during drills"?

I understand its location and the length of training. How competitive is it to get in? Would an associates degree in criminal justice or liberal arts with a 3.2 gpa and a year in the national guard as a 68w suffice? I merely used that as an example? I just want to know if it is super competitive or as long as you meet the requirement, you'll get in since you are already a NG soldier?

Also, is it true that all officers require a top secret clearance? If i can not secure a top secret or a secret clearance right now then should i kiss state ocs goodbye in a year or two? Any help is greatly appreciated..thanks!

Comment

• Peter Griffin
        Peter Griffin commented
        Editing a comment
        You only need secret clearance for OCS. Throughout the program, you will be in leadership positions and this will require you to spend some time in between drills organizing, planning etc.. You should also be studying a little bit here and there depending on what you have on the schedule.
    Working...
    X