X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Clearance/Background Check

A while back, I began the enlistment process of joining as an officer. I met with a recruiter and an officer recruiter to make sure I was okay for joining. During that process I admitted to smoking pot a few times many years ago (I was never caught or charged with anything). After clearing with the officer, I decided to not continue with the enlistment process at the time.

More recently, I began the process again. The recruiter and officer recruiter were different this time (though they knew the old ones). This time I said I'd never smoked pot. The new recruiter didn't pull up my old file, he just created a new one.

At MEPS, I stuck to my story that I've never smoked pot, even when they went on and on about how lying during enlistment is a felony punishable by huge fines, imprisonment, etc.

The main reasons I changed my story is because I've read that: 1) unless there's a paper trail for it, MEPS only knows what I tell them and that waivers are hard to come by and, 2) I didn't know if I'd need one.

I understand that all officers need security clearances. As part of obtaining one, I understand that they'll do an extensive background check.

I have a few concerns that I'd like some advice on:
    1) What's the likelihood the Army would come across my old recruiter's file? If it did, what would that mean for me?
    2) When is the background check conducted?
    3) If one of my references claimed I smoked pot, what would that mean for me? (I don't think any of them even know about it)
    4) What would happen if I came clean with my pot use? Would I be discharged?

I'm normally an honest person, so this hasn't sat well with me. Again the main reason I wasn't was because I was afraid of getting DQ'd.

Originally posted by Smithers1012 View Post
    The main reasons I changed my story is because I've read that: 1) unless there's a paper trail for it, MEPS only knows what I tell them and that waivers are hard to come by and, 2) I didn't know if I'd need one.

No, the main reason you changed your story is because you lack integrity. You don't belong in the ranks of commissioned officers.

Comment

Working...
    X