X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information about OCS

So, I am confused about how to get a commission in the National Guard. Just as some background, I am an E-6 in the Navy Reserves with 12 years in (5 in AC). I am 35 years old and have a Masters Degree. I am looking at the National Guard to help pay off my student loans. I have spoken with my recruiter and he stated that I would need to go to BCT. So, do all OCS candidates go through BCT? Would there be other OCS candidates in my company?

I was always under the impression that OCS was BCT for Officers and that going to BCT and then OCS would be redundant. If anyone could provide some clarification on that, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have read about State OCS, Federal OCS, and Accelerated OCS. What are the advantages and disadvantages of these?

Sorry if these questions are a tad pedantic, but I have been exposed to the Navy side of this process, and the Army side seems a bit foreign. I just want to be as prepared as possible and know what I am getting into.

R/
    Spiker

The movie Officer and a Gentlemen and Marine Corps PLC/OCS is much different than the Army's. If a person enlists into the Army (talking about active now) and wants to go OCS or WOCS (flight warrant), their path is is BCT and then OCS/WOCS. And that is because there are some elements that are given in enlisted basic (basic rifle, grenade training), that is not given at the officer-producing program. An enlisted Soldier already serving and applies for OCS, upon selection; just goes straight to that program.

In your case, which has been discussed many times over; Navy transferring to the Army/NG has to go through their basic training program now. WTC (Warriors transition course) was closed for prior service enlistees based on factors on amount of trainees, funding and what not.

Again, the link

http://www.armytimes.com/article/201...nd-basic-again

• Prior-service personnel from the Air Force, Navy and Coast Guard entering the active Army or reserve components must attend BCT, regardless of the length of their break in service, if they have not attended Army or Marine Corps basic training, or special operations training for the Air Force or Navy, or Air Force security police.

Comment

Chief hit the biggest question in your post, so I'll answer some of the others.

At BCT, yes, there could be other OCS candidates (MOS 09S) in your platoon/company, but it's not guaranteed or anything. When I went through BCT, I was the only 09S in my platoon, but there were 5 or 6 total in the company.

Comment

Chief, Nelson, Thank you for responding. I do appreciate it. Any insight into the up and down sides to the various types of OCS available? I believe I read in other posts that Accelerated OCS is intended for soldiers with combat experience. Is there any truth to that? For the other two options, do you get any input into which you get to go to?

Comment

• SF Hunter
          SF Hunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Unless I am mistaken, I believe you are past the maximum age requirement to attend Federal OCS. Reserve component officer candidates must be able to complete Federal OCS/commission by age 34.

What state are you in? Every state runs its OCS program differently.

Comment

Mind if I hop in this discussion? Sounds similar to my situation. I am currently in the guard and am considering 0CS.

I am 36 years old. As I understand it (please correct me if I am wrong.) traditional OCS age limit for commissioning is 42. I am not interested in traditional. I would prefer accelerated federal OCS. I cannot find a straight answer regarding the age limits and requirements for Army National Guard soldiers attending accelerated OCS. Can anyone set me straight on this?

Comment

Neither of you are going to get a solid answer here about which version of OCS you'll attend. Each state can dictate their own criteria for accelerated OCS.

Comment

Thanks RedLeg, from all of the googling and forum searching I've done, I was beginning to wonder if the internet was an appropriate place for this question to be answered. By chance, you wouldn't know where I might find a directory of state Officer Strength Managers? I'm having about the same luck tracking that info down as I've had with this question.

Comment

Working...
              X