Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long Range Surveillance (LRS) Platoon Leader Questions?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Range Surveillance (LRS) Platoon Leader Questions?

Greetings forum members,

I’m currently an ROTC cadet, and was curious about the positions and experiences the infantry branch has to offer. As I’d like to serve in the Guard, what struck me was the uniqueness of the Long Range Surveillance (LRS) company and its role on the battlefield. From what I understand – and please correct me as I know nothing – it is organic to the BfsBs the Army has fielded (but was previously organic at the Corps level?), is an airborne unit, and contains 1 comms. platoon and 3 LRS platoons (per FM 7-93).

I assume, through some Google searches and the manual, that the PL is slotted for a 1st LT that is Ranger, Airborne, and RSLC-qualified. Since RS and Airborne slots are scarce to the Guard, is it safe to assume that most LRS platoon leaders are former enlisted? If this is the case, how would a non-PS 11A have a shot at a Guard LRS w/o these experiences?

I was also curious about how a person might go about applying within these companies. Hypothetically, if you were a 2nd LT fresh out of commissioning, upon reporting to your first unit, do you usually stay 3 years and well into your 1st LT XO/PL time, or do you usually apply for a new position/rotate into a new unit? If the latter is the case, when do you usually ask your CoC (assuming an open LRS PL slot) to transfer? I can see how a unit would be hesitant to release an LT to another unit after spending tons and investing schools into him.

Thank you for your time – I appreciate it!

Ask your ROTC cadre or local ARNG recruiter to direct you to the Officer Strength Manager (OSM) for the state in which you want to serve. There are very few LRS companies, and not all states have one. Additionally, there may be no vacancies for you to fill. The OSM will develop other assignments for you while you pursue that opportunity in the future.

Comment

Working...
    X