X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Guard ROTC to active duty?

I'm a senior in high school and I recently enlisted in the National Guard. This summer I'll be attending basic training and AIT and after that I plan on attending a university that offers ROTC. If I do join ROTC and become an officer how hard would it be to switch to active duty?

Much of that depends on the needs of the active Army four years from now, which is hard to predict. In 1987 we had ROTC cadets begging to go to the Army Reserve who were forced onto active duty. In 1991, we had people begging to go active who were given the option to just walk away, and not serve an obligation at all. It can change that quickly.

Ensure that while in the Guard you do not accept any incentive that carries a service obligation that you don't want to fulfill. On the old forum, I had a sticky post which explained what you could take and what you couldn't in your case, although I can't find it anymore. Basically, you can take pay for drill, MGIB, and federal TA, but not State TA, nor MGIB Kicker, nor GRFD/DedARNG ROTC scholarships (but campus-based are OK). When in doubt, read the document before you sign. Also, eligibility for an incentive doesn't mean that you need to take it.

Comment

Working...
X