X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promotion to CPT

I keep hearing that promotions to CPT are 2 years TIG, but when I looked this year's board on the HRC website, it looks like the zone of consideration is for 1LTs with DOR 4 years ago.

Does the each state have its own internal promotion system separate from big Army's HRC? How does it work?

Thanks

TIG = time in grade. That means you've spent that many years in the lower grade before promotion.
    Consideration is not the same as actually getting promoted. Ensure that you meet educational, physical, and administrative standards, and have a record of achievement.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael View Post
      I keep hearing that promotions to CPT are 2 years TIG, but when I looked this year's board on the HRC website, it looks like the zone of consideration is for 1LTs with DOR 4 years ago.

Does the each state have its own internal promotion system separate from big Army's HRC? How does it work?

Thanks
      My understanding is that in order to get promoted to CPT, you must occupy an O-3 slot for which you are MOSQ'd and have been selected for promotion by a Federal board. You should prepare your packet a few months before you are eligible for the Federal CPT board. Your S1 will probably have more guidance.

Comment

• matthew.ritchie
        matthew.ritchie commented
        Editing a comment
        Your State can promote you early, prior to the DA selection board. This is basically what the active component calls "below zone." Assignment to an O3 slot remains a requirement under either scenario to pin on.

You should prepare your packet a few months before you are eligible for the Federal CPT board. Your S1 will probably have more guidance.
      Your packet is prepared by HRC based on what you already have in your perm'd file. Everyone should take a look at what's in their file on a routine basis and make sure it's up to date. Make sure your OERs, 1059s, civilian education ect are in there. When the MILPER message comes out about the board, talk to your rater/senior rater about a complete the record OER, especially if you are doing a good job. When your board file opens, you just be doing minor corrections and not major movements.

Comment

Working...
      X