Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANG Officer Max Age

Hello,

I came across an interesting paragraph via the http://goang.com/join/officers website. It states:
    • Prior service officers or enlisted members who have the ambition to enhance their career in the Air National Guard.
    • Those interested in joining the Air Guard who have previously served are required to be able to complete 20 years service time (combined, Active and participating Guard or Reserve) before the age of 60. For example, a person serving 4 years active duty and serving in a reserve component for 3 years is eligible to join up to their 47th birthday.
    Therefore it begs a question......I’m currently a TSgt in the CA ANG , age 43, with BS in Finance, and have 5 years of total Active Duty. It appears from the ANG site that I might be able to get a commission, as I will be able to retire before the age of 60. My recruiter has stated that it is only for the “Enlisted” ranks and wanted to confirm that. As it appears to me as it’s applicable for both the Enlisted and Officer ranks.

So am I able to obtain a commission at my current age in the ANG? Assuming that I have passed the AFOQT and Board.

V/r,

TSgt Weger

Combat Comm, this forum and website can only assist with the ARMY National Guard. You will need to speak with a Air National Guard rep when it comes to their requirements for commissioning.

I can tell you that in the Army National Guard, current/prior service must be able to commission on or before their 42nd birthday for basic branch officers...period. The only age waivers authorized are for specialty branches such as certain AMEDD professionals and Chaplains. Your prior service years do not subtract from the age requirement for commissioning or military courses/schools, that only applies to reenlistment and general military service.
    Last edited by SF Hunter; November 6th, 2013, 06:27 PM.

Comment

In addition to the math step you just described, there is a maximum age at commissioning. I cannot state definitively what it is for the Air Force, although I would be very, very surprised if it was more lenient than the Army's. You would still meet age requirements for service as an Army warrant officer, but the Air Force did away with its WOs decades ago.

Comment

Working...
      X