Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Marine Reservists apply for National Guard OCS?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Marine Reservists apply for National Guard OCS?

Hello, I'm currently a Poolee in the Marine Reserves DEP waiting to ship next June. At the time of enlistment, I had no interest in becoming an officer. However, I have since changed my mind and am looking into officer paths. However, I've found that the Marine OCC programs are impossibly hard to get in due to high competition (people are getting rejected even with 300 PFTs). I'm looking into Guard OCS and am wondering if I could apply for Guard OCS after a few years with the Marines (I'm still in the process of getting my BS). Or would I have to serve out my contract, enlist in the Guard, and then apply?

Re: Can Marine Reservists apply for National Guard OCS?

Look into Marine Platoon Leader Class (PLC). You can switch during a current contract but it depends if your unit will release you and the Guard will accept you.

Comment

PLC is out of the question. I'm currently a Junior and my PFT scores are nowhere near what's needed to even qualify, let alone compete for OCS. I'd need at least a year to get my PFT scores to 250+. To be honest, I'm just wondering if it's possible, and if so how difficult would it be. I don't want to kill all my chances of becoming an officer just by enlisting in the Marine Reserves.

Comment

Switching components is never easy but currently all services have to reduce their numbers (The US Army by 70,000 and NG have reduction numbers too) and prior service recruiting is harder than ever. If you want to set your mind on NG OCS, I suggest you do it now than later.

Comment

My current plan is to serve in the Marine Reserves for two years, finish my degree, then try to apply for OCC; if I can't get in, then I'll look into NG OCS or something. I'm already in the DEP, and I went through a lot of crap just to get enlisted and I know my recruiters have also done a lot to help me (two visits to MEPS and one down to Walter Reeds). I don't like the idea of having to drop from DEP and going back down to MEPS again to re-enlist. It's a lot of hassle and would be unfair to my recruiters (guilt syndrome). That's why I don't want to drop from DEP if I don't have to.

Is ARNG/ARR OCS just as competitive as Marine OCC?

Comment

Ok, then drive on. Just hope the plan works according to your timeline.

Comment

It's not about the timeline. My timeline is organic, I change it according to the situation. Applying for OCS after 2~3 years isn't a big deal (I wouldn't be able to qualify for OCS for another few years regardless). However, if I get my degree and improve my PFT and still can't get into OCS, than that would be a problem. I don't want to deny myself all chances for a commission. That's why I'm asking about how competitive ARNG OCS is, if it's just as restrictively competitive as Marine OCC, then there really is no point to change services.
              Last edited by Heilang; October 6th, 2013, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Nobody can predict how competitive it will be two years from now. But the Marine Corps, due to its smaller size, has stricter enlistment requirements and greater competitiveness for its officer slots. First, your focus should be on passing Marine boot and getting the grades you need to be a viable candidate, regardless of which branch you decide to commission in.

Comment

Which is why I'm asking if it's possible to commission out of the Corps into the ARNG down the line if I can't get into OCC. Or more specifically, is ARNG OCS open to USMCR enlistees.

Comment

You would have to be released from the USMC to join the NG either as an officer/enlisted.

You couldn't attend NGOCS as a Marine as they would have their own standards for commissioning that wouldn't be covered by Army OCS.

Comment

And the Captain repeated what I wrote in my first response in this thread.

Comment

Is conditional release from the USMCR to pursue Army OCS possible? Also, what do you mean by standards for commissioning? I'm asking because Marine OCS doesn't require enlistment to attend (PLC and OCC are open to civilians). Is it the same for Army? Or does the Army require you to enlist in the Army before doing OCS?

Comment

Yes. A conditional release is required whenever you want to transfer services or components. I went from Army Reserve to Army National Guard to Marine Corps AD. Back to Army National Guard and then Army AD. All required a DD368. So I been there, done that many times. I went from Army enlisted to Army Warrant Officer and was in the Army OCS program over a decade ago in which I resigned. You can enlist into OCS directly. What that means, you go to Army basic, then Army OCS. You will have to meet all the pre-requisites for the program.

I think since you are committed to leave to the Marine Corps, you have more than enough time to get your Army OCS questions answered. Focus on the 25 meter target.

Comment

Is it possible to transfer services before your contract is up?

I actually don't want to leave the Corps if I don't have to. I'm just trying to making sure that I have a plan B in case I can't get into Marine OCC. I'm going to work for OCC, but again, due to the high degree of competition, there's a very good chance I won't get it. My OSO is telling me that there's like 20 applicants for every billet out there. If interservice transfer before finishing up my contract isn't possible, then there's no point going to the Marines if I don't have a practical chance at getting into OSC.

Comment

When you do a conditional release, it means that you currently fulfilling your contract and requesting to change it. Like I said, all my transfers that I did, happened, when i was in contract. But as I stated, I did it during a time when it was the easiest to transfer (when no downsize was happening or a war was in its early stages), now to complete a transfer, is a very difficult and challenging process. That is why we suggest that you go in the service that will fit your needs without an option to transfer because of the current and possible future climate.
                              Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; October 6th, 2013, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X