Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Question about OCS and BOLC.

Good afternoon, all.

I have a few questions about commissioning and the National Guard I'd like to ask. I've read through this section of the forum and used the search function, and I'm still a bit fuzzy on a few things. A little background first; I'm a currently serving Marine reservist in the Infantry, with a single 7 month deployment to Afghanistan. I am a senior at American Military University with a 3.3 GPA, and I graduate in January. I have one year and nine months remaining on my Marine contract before I am eligible to begin my IRR time. I am familiar with the transfer process to leave the Corps (a DD-368 is the big requirement, I believe). It is my goal to become an officer in the Guard, and remain within the Infantry. I have a very supportive chain of command, both enlisted and officer, so getting released (from the ground level, anyway) doesn't appear to be a huge issue. I understand branching, and I understand length of commitment, etc.

Where I'm fuzzy is on the lag time between OCS/AOCS and BOLC. What exactly do non-branch qualified officers do in the time between OCS and BOLC? I read on this site that the lag time can be as long as two years. That would drive me nuts. I'd like to go to BOLC as soon as a slot becomes available for me. Are those officers on active duty with their respective units, waiting to go to BOLC? Are they placed in a drilling status until their are slots to put them into BOLC? Is it a mix of both? Or is it something else entirely? Thank you very much for your consideration. This site has been extremely helpful in answering my questions.

V/R

Gypsy

Re: A Question about OCS and BOLC.

The time varies between commissioning and going to BOLC. All depends on your unit, funds, etc. 2 years is a stretch but not completely unheard of. And, for what it's worth, officers on A/D don't necessarily get priority over BOLC slots.

Also, there is no guarantee that you'd be Infantry. It would be up to the needs of the Army. I say, if you do it, bring your "A" game and max your scores on everything. By coming in at the top of your OCS class, you'll be in a better position to get what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
      The time varies between commissioning and going to BOLC. All depends on your unit, funds, etc. 2 years is a stretch but not completely unheard of. And, for what it's worth, officers on A/D don't necessarily get priority over BOLC slots.

Also, there is no guarantee that you'd be Infantry. It would be up to the needs of the Army. I say, if you do it, bring your "A" game and max your scores on everything. By coming in at the top of your OCS class, you'll be in a better position to get what you want.
      Boss,

So there's no real set time frame for getting to BOLC? I'm not terribly concerned, I just want to know what to expect in between OCS and BOLC. When I said Active Duty, I simply meant officers who were working at their Guard unit full-time. I'm not sure if that's done in the Guard. I understand that there are no guarantees in branching. However, I am confident that I will make the cut to get in to the Infantry. I'll do my best to demonstrate the skills I already have, and learn the new ones expected of me. I'm as good a candidate as I can make myself to go to the Infantry. I'm in good shape, I've got prior experience and a combat deployment, and I've got the education to go to OCS. Everything else is performance dependent.

Comment

You should try to get to BOLC as soon as you can. While this isn't totally up to you, you do have some input on when you attend.

How your state does branching will determine if you get infantry (some states base it off performance, others do not). Also, you're state even having infantry to branch is something else you need to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
          You should try to get to BOLC as soon as you can. While this isn't totally up to you, you do have some input on when you attend.

How your state does branching will determine if you get infantry (some states base it off performance, others do not). Also, you're state even having infantry to branch is something else you need to consider.
          Sir,

I'm in Kansas. I believe that there are several infantry units here subordinate to the 35th ID at Leavenworth, KS.

Comment

To answer the other question, you will drill with your assigned unit until you go to BOLC.

Comment

FWIW, here was my route to branching Guard infantry and getting a BOLC date assigned:

1. Got myself into OCS, worked to get to the top.
              2. Told OSM that I wanted infantry when we sat down with them to branch, around the midway through OCS. My state had infantry spots, so I got one.
              3. Sat down with OCS unit admin. to pick a BOLC date near the end of OCS. I told him when I wanted to go, he gave me available dates around then.

That's the long and short of it. My time between the end of OCS and BOLC is 5 months, BTW. It could have been as short as 2 months but that date worked better for me.

Good luck.
              Last edited by DocIllinois; October 7th, 2013, 04:27 PM. Reason: OCS-BOLC time

Comment

Working...
              X