Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining national guard, ROTC, and high school

Hello!

My name is Ray, I'm 16 and a junior in high school from Orrville, Ohio (home of smucker jelly) and would like to join the armed forces. My birthday is July 3, and I will be 17 next summer. My purpose for joining the national guard is so I can go to college debt free, while participating in ROTC so I can become an officer in the army, and have past experience at the same time. My main question is this; when I sign my ROTC service commitment, can I sign to be Army active duty, or would I have to sign for national guard since I would be previously contracted? Would there be any conflict? My MOS would remain the same. I would also like to know, when would I would be eligible for airborne, air assault, ranger, special forces, ect... training? Thanks for reading! The more insight the better.

Re: Joining national guard, ROTC, and high school

Hello Ray, I think I can knock most of these questions out, having done time in ROTC, Active, and Guard.

You do not pick whether you are Active or Guard, your grades and commander's rating determine this. I was told that a 3.2+ is pretty good for getting Active. So, stay focused on school and motivated in ROTC and you'll most likely get that coveted Active Duty slot. However, I believe you can do a program through your unit to commission into the Guard guaranteed, if that's what you want. The only conflict is you have to be released by your Guard unit before you can commission, which hasn't been a problem for anyone I've met.

Your MOS will not remain the same. Once again, your grades and degree will determine what you get in Active duty. If you get an engineering degree, for example, be prepared to be an engineer in the Army.

As far as special schools... ROTC gets X amount of slots per year. They usually go to the most motivated and highest APFT cadets. In the Guard, those school slots are a lot harder to get because of budgeting issues, and the fact that Active Duty get a much higher priority for this kind of training. However, if you get accepted into any kind of special operations/high speed pipeline, they'll send you to these schools so you can be qualified when you commission. When I was in ROTC in Memphis (I was Air Force ROTC back then), all of my high speed Army ROTC buddies were sent to Airborne, they seemed to have enough slots for those that wanted to go to get to do it.

Morale of the story: Be motivated. Volunteer for anything and EVERYTHING you can, ROTC and Guard. Keep yourself in top shape. Keep your grades up. Don't get caught up in the college lifestyle of partying too much. Obviously, have fun but don't let it interfere with your goals. I know too many cadets that were dropped a month before commissioning for little things such as public intoxication or doing small things that people wouldn't bat an eye at in the civilian world, but that your commandant in ROTC will determine to be against the qualities an officer should possess. Do not do ANYTHING illegal. This is my most serious of advice. If you want to try weed before you commit, I'm not saying do it now, but don't have the urge while you're contracted or in college. Almost everyone in the military has tried it and admitted to it on a security clearance, but if you do it while you're in ROTC or after you enlist, kiss that commission and an enlisted career goodbye.

Good luck in your quest.

Comment

Originally posted by USMCLong View Post
      Hello Ray, I think I can knock most of these questions out, having done time in ROTC, Active, and Guard.

You do not pick whether you are Active or Guard, your grades and commander's rating determine this. I was told that a 3.2+ is pretty good for getting Active. So, stay focused on school and motivated in ROTC and you'll most likely get that coveted Active Duty slot. However, I believe you can do a program through your unit to commission into the Guard guaranteed, if that's what you want. The only conflict is you have to be released by your Guard unit before you can commission, which hasn't been a problem for anyone I've met.

Your MOS will not remain the same. Once again, your grades and degree will determine what you get in Active duty. If you get an engineering degree, for example, be prepared to be an engineer in the Army.

As far as special schools... ROTC gets X amount of slots per year. They usually go to the most motivated and highest APFT cadets. In the Guard, those school slots are a lot harder to get because of budgeting issues, and the fact that Active Duty get a much higher priority for this kind of training. However, if you get accepted into any kind of special operations/high speed pipeline, they'll send you to these schools so you can be qualified when you commission. When I was in ROTC in Memphis (I was Air Force ROTC back then), all of my high speed Army ROTC buddies were sent to Airborne, they seemed to have enough slots for those that wanted to go to get to do it.

Morale of the story: Be motivated. Volunteer for anything and EVERYTHING you can, ROTC and Guard. Keep yourself in top shape. Keep your grades up. Don't get caught up in the college lifestyle of partying too much. Obviously, have fun but don't let it interfere with your goals. I know too many cadets that were dropped a month before commissioning for little things such as public intoxication or doing small things that people wouldn't bat an eye at in the civilian world, but that your commandant in ROTC will determine to be against the qualities an officer should possess. Do not do ANYTHING illegal. This is my most serious of advice. If you want to try weed before you commit, I'm not saying do it now, but don't have the urge while you're contracted or in college. Almost everyone in the military has tried it and admitted to it on a security clearance, but if you do it while you're in ROTC or after you enlist, kiss that commission and an enlisted career goodbye.

Good luck in your quest.
      Thank you very much! I want to be in the infantry and acquire a political science degree. I have a squeaky clean record (not even a single speeding violation) and work out. I also volunteer a A LOT of time working in a CBOC unit through the Louis Stokes VA. I plan to live at home and come from a very conservative back ground. I have worked a lawn care job since junior high to now, after school. My grades have never stepped below a single C on a report card in 12 years of school. It makes me happy to hear that I have a fighting chance, and greatly appreciate your help and advice. -Ray

Comment

There are a number of errors in the above posting OP, so I'll clarify.

You can not *pick* to be Active but you can pick to be NG or USAR. If that is your route, you have the option to try out for a DeDARNG or GRFD contract. The former is a strictly NG scholarship while the latter is open for both NG or USAR. By doing either of those, you have much more say-so in what you branch. As for as ROTC and NG, if you are on those scholarships or are a non-scholarship cadet, you can get a Letter of Acceptance from the NG or USAR while at LDAC (during branch orientation day). You'll know what you branch, where your unit is and when you'll be going to BOLC before you leave camp! It's a nice perk our Active Duty brethren do not get.....

Now, if you want Active Duty, you'll have to compete on the OML with all of the other cadets from across the nation. 3.2 is *not* a good GPA for getting active. Maybe it was 10 years ago, but not now-a-days. You'll be competing with commission-hungry cadets who are rocking a 3.8 or higher GPA and 290+ APFT scores. Something to keep in mind.

PM me if you have any more questions. I'll do my best to give you accurate info and point you in the right direction. Since you are just a junior, we have some time to fix any issues in terms of GPA you may have.

Comment

Working...
        X