Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining the Guard with a 3 year Army ROTC Scholarship?

Hi all,

Recently I have been considering enlisting in the Guard. My purpose for enlisting would be to set-up a safety net incase I fail to meet my requirements for my scholarship (GPA, PT, etc.). I'm suppose to be contracting next semester if my school is able to fund 3.5 year scholarships. If this does occur, from what I've been told by my ROTC Scholarship Contractor, my obligation to the guard will cease to exist. However, if I do lose my scholarship, I will continue my service with the Guard and attend Basic/AIT. My question for you all is, would this be a smart decision to make? I don't want to commit myself to the Guard if its going to screw up my scholarship. If anyone can shed light on their experience with this process or any knowledge on this subject, I would be greatly appreciative.

Re: Joining the Guard with a 3 year Army ROTC Scholarship?

Check your timeline little hooah. I don't want to steer you wrong, but a "3.5" year scholarship seems improbable at best. MSOs and what not are based on 2, 3 and 4 year. Some programs however do work out back office crack deals with the school to fund an extra semesters as needed.

If you go NG first, yes, your service requirement to the NG ceases if you are awarded a ROTC scholarship (a Regular one, not DeDARNG or GRFD).

However, if you come at the NG as a "safety net" for school, you are going to turn off those in the NG who could help you. Service first.... the ed benefits are not guaranteed. Ever.

Comment

Originally posted by cford3 View Post
      Hi all,

I don't want to commit myself to the Guard if its going to screw up my scholarship.
      If this thought even goes through your head, don't event enlist in the Guard. Period. No offense Op, but you're coming off as very self serving. You want to serve but you just want to punch ticket and go off onto Active Duty.

If you want to serve, serve. But do so wholeheartedly and not with this "oh well, not if it screws up my plans" mindset. Think about this, what if you get into some MOS where you end up deploying and then your school is delayed? Just saying. Service isn't easy, but it's also not about you.

Comment

Thank you for clearing this up gentleman. I apologize if I came off as "self-serving." I honestly want to serve my nation despite if the Army is willing to pay my tuition or not. I do however want to find ways of financing my college plans so that I won't be an Officer who struggles to pay his monthly loan repayment.

Comment

You may benefit from reading some of the links in my signature block.

Comment

Working...
          X