X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After college

My son is interested in a military career but not sure how to procede. He has been told by some ROTC/national guard members that after 4 years of college he can choose to go active army without any problems. Is that true? Army recruiters told him he has to have permission/be released from the guard to go active. What's the true story?
    Thanks

Re: After college

Originally posted by guardquestions View Post
    My son is interested in a military career but not sure how to procede. He has been told by some ROTC/national guard members that after 4 years of college he can choose to go active army without any problems. Is that true? Army recruiters told him he has to have permission/be released from the guard to go active. What's the true story?
    Thanks
    Active Army = Regular Army

Yes its true that it is possible to go from National Guard to regular army. Yes it is true you have to have a conditional release. It is true that no one can guarentee what the recruiting effort will look like 4 years into the future, but in current day the regular army is severley downsizing and takes an extrememly limited amount of probable service. The statement "without any problems" is as far as possible from reality.

The exception, is if he is enrolled in ROTC/SMP and not serving on a guarenteed reserve forces scholarship and ranks high enough in ROTC he could commission straight into the regular army.

Comment

Re: After college

The Guard will release an enlisted Soldier to commission through ROTC. Under this plan, your son should not accept incentives which carry a service obligation he does not want to fulfill. Read the link in my signature block for additional details.

I would encourage you to encourage him to get on this forum.

Comment

Working...
      X