Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlisting -> OCS Flow and Fitness

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm an active duty prior service Marine from 2001-2006, I also joined the Air Force Reserve and was activated from 2008 - 2011. Long and short of it I kept losing my enlisted aviation MOS and decide to go back to college. Now I'm all most done with college and I am considering commissioning in the Army Guard here in Kentucky. Initially I was thinking it would be a long process to get started and that I'd get the ball rolling in about a year, however the recruiter and the 1LT here seem to want to step that up to a month or so.

That being said I've let myself go fitness wise over the years, I've been doing CrossFit for a couple months now and I've lost 30 lbs during that time and I'm down to 228, I'm 6' 2" and 31 yoa so my weight needs to 199 per the regs I could find. Also I have doubts on if I could past the APFT right now let alone score a 300+, which seems to be what most OCS candidates on these forums seem to state they had going into the program.

So question one, I read that Phase 0 includes physical preparation, which I'm assuming occurs after you enlist and await OCS. Do you need to be able meet the APTF standards before entering this phase or is this the preparation phase to get you there or beyond? Personally I feel with 6 more months of CrossFit between here and March I'll be able to pass if not hit the 300+ APFT score, but sure as hell not next month.

Question two, anyone on here NOT have 300+ APFT score and go to OCS? If so how was it physically? I made it through Marine boot camp and SERE school twice on top of combat water survival, so I can push through a lot of the mental games, those don't worry me.

Lastly, if given the choice, would you recommend waiting another year to work on fitness before joining?

Thank you all for taking the time to read this and answering my question!

Semper Fi
    Last edited by defaultNINJA; August 30th, 2013, 04:54 PM.

Re: Enlisting -> OCS Flow and Fitness

I think you're on the right track with Crossfit. I did it for 6 months before I left for OCS and it got me in the best shape of my life. I was at 300 when I started and found the physical part of OCS easy. Remember, it's OCS, not Ranger School. The only legitimately challenging part of the course for me was land nav.

I went through the 12-week Federal OCS program at Ft Benning. I know nothing about the State program, so YMMV. (There was at least one KYARNG guy in my class, btw...ask your recruiter if Federal is an option.) Most people there were in the 270+ range on the APFT. If you're a good runner, I think you could get away with a 250, but I wouldn't suggest starting with anything lower than that. I witnessed several out-of-shape candidates get hurt and recycled. You have to complete 3-, 4-, and 5-mile release runs at 9:00, 8:45, and 8:30 pace, respectively. (You have to get fast over longer distance as you go). If you don't pass, you get one re-test and are then dropped from the course.

Have you run a diagnostic PT test? Those numbers would help us better gauge where you're at.

Comment

I did OCS with a 270, so for the traditional a 300 is not mandatory (I'm in Arizona). What enceladus said is very true though, you could be more prone to injury if your not at least staying active and relatively fit. If you do the traditional program then in phase 1 I believe you do a 5 mile ruck, so in phase 0 you may do a 3 mile in prep for phase 1. Then througout the program you do ever longer ruck marches I believe culminating in 10 mile ruck. Physically OCS is not demanding (though you do get smoked a lot). But you have to stay on top of your physical fitness to ensure that you can pass the APFT and required runs and marches.

I don't know if you can join OCS if you can't pass the APFT. Our first drill we did one. It was a diagnostic, but you definately couldn't go to phase 1 if you couldn't pass a for record PT test. You were either recycled or removed from the program. As was stated, a good test on how you will do is to take a practice test to measure yourself.

Comment

Thank you both for your answers. No I haven't done a test APFT yet. I've never been a fast person, even in the Marines. I've always been an endurance strength athlete. I'm planning to try and run one this weekend, but it's starting to sound like I should just wait till next year and keep up with the CrossFit. My initial thought was that if I could still sign up and get the ball rolling now, I should be good to go by March. However, there's no way I'll be ready next month. Who knows maybe ill surprise myself. Also I'm at the 90 credit range so I was planning doing traditional 18 month program not federal.

Comment

lol defaultNingja. That is funny Leatherneck.

Comment

Originally posted by defaultNINJA View Post
            Ladies and Gentlemen,

Also I have doubts on if I could past the APFT right now let alone score a 300+, which seems to be what most OCS candidates on these forums seem to state they had going into the program.

Semper Fi
            It depends on how your state handles it, but I am in Alabama (where you will be attending OCS if you go in March). We had several people in Phase 0 fail the first PT test. However they had 4 or 5 months to get ready. The general rule of thumb when I was going is they wanted you to have a 250 to get into the accelerated class. I was in the same boat as you, and I did crossfit for those 5 months. My PT score was fine before I classed up.

As for your quote at the top. I can guarantee you that 'most' of those people saying they get 300 are the same guys who threw the pigskin a quarter mile in high school, but turned down the scholarship offer to the University of Alabama.

I would say follow your OSMs guidance, have them give you a diagnostic PT test and go from there. I would try to make that class if I were you.

Good luck.

scj

Comment

Originally posted by scjohnny View Post
              I can guarantee you that 'most' of those people saying they get 300 are the same guys who threw the pigskin a quarter mile in high school, but turned down the scholarship offer to the University of Alabama
              When I was at FOCS, 280+ absolutely was the standard among my peers. Maybe that's an outlier because of the competitiveness of active duty OCS at the time, but there were 'dozens' of 300+ in my class.

Comment

At 6'2" 228 lbs you should be within the regs by taping for body fat %. I'm 6'2" 257 lbs and I'm only a few inches on my waist from being passing by tape though I plan on being well below body fat % regs.

Comment

Originally posted by enceladus View Post
                  When I was at FOCS, 280+ absolutely was the standard among my peers. Maybe that's an outlier because of the competitiveness of active duty OCS at the time, but there were 'dozens' of 300+ in my class.
                  By golly you answered your own question.
                  Go over to the ArmyOCS.com and see how hard has been to class up at any given time at Federal OCS.

Comment

I disagree with the implication/s of your first statement--that you need to be a D1-level college athlete to get a 300 on the PT test, or that 'most' people saying they get ~300 are liars.

I'm at best an average athlete and I consistently score high 290s-low 300s on the APFT. How? Daily exercise and effort. Five of the six O's in my company score about the same. It is expected of us, and is easily attainable with commitment.

Comment

Originally posted by defaultNINJA View Post

Question two, anyone on here NOT have 300+ APFT score and go to OCS? If so how was it physically? I made it through Marine boot camp and SERE school twice on top of combat water survival, so I can push through a lot of the mental games, those don't worry me.

Lastly, if given the choice, would you recommend waiting another year to work on fitness before joining?

Semper Fi
                      I had to have a 260 minimum to attend AOCS, and went from an 11 year break in service to a 264 in less than 4 months. I attended the exact same schools you did in the Corps, and can testify that the hardest part is behind you. Yes you will get smoked, will be sleep deprived, and will be tired at the end of the day, but the biggest part is the mental aspect.

IMHO go now and don't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by enceladus View Post
                        I disagree with the implication/s of your first statement--that you need to be a D1-level college athlete to get a 300 on the PT test, or that 'most' people saying they get ~300 are liars.

I'm at best an average athlete and I consistently score high 290s-low 300s on the APFT. How? Daily exercise and effort. Five of the six O's in my company score about the same. It is expected of us, and is easily attainable with commitment.

Easy Bro. Chew your food before you swallow.

I'm just telling the OP that any time I hear the term "most score a 300" in reference to NG schooling....it raises a flag to me.

YMMV

I'm also encouraging this guy (being as he is 31) to go ahead and let his actual OSM make this decision. You heard that big Army is about to cut some serious fat right? Where do you think some of those people may turn?

And finally the statement was a combination Napolean Dynamite quote and my hatred for the Crimson Tide joke.

@defaultNinja - Talk to your OSM, get the diagnostic test and see what they think. As the good CPT (a former TAC I believe) said "go now".

Good luck!
                        scj

Comment

Thank you all for the motivation in your responses! After reading all your comments I feel better about trying to go now and make the March class. Almost done filling out my packet and then I'll talk with my OSM and see what he thinks. Just by the responses on this forum I can feel the camaraderie that I miss and forward to joining your ranks!

Comment

Let us know how it turns out. Your experiences may be helpful to future prior-service candidates coming through.

Comment

Working...
                            X