Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlisted to officer question

Hello,

Sorry for posting a new thread, but I have a new question. I'm close to picking a MOS in the National Guard. I have a college degree and will be coming in as an E4 because I am overweight (26% body fat) and scored low on a practice APFT (210, but I passed!). My goal is to lock in the SLRP right now plus bonuses and apply for OCS when I get done with AIT. I worry if I work to lose the weight now, the 09S SLRP could disappear by the time I reach my goal.

Two questions:

Will I be able to apply for OCS pretty quickly after AIT? (I have a 3.57 GPA in accounting + 124 GT)

Will I keep my SLRP once I commission?

Thanks!

Re: Enlisted to officer question

Originally posted by heathp123 View Post
    Hello,

Sorry for posting a new thread, but I have a new question. I'm close to picking a MOS in the National Guard. I have a college degree and will be coming in as an E4 because I am overweight (26% body fat) and scored low on a practice APFT (210, but I passed!). My goal is to lock in the SLRP right now plus bonuses and apply for OCS when I get done with AIT. I worry if I work to lose the weight now, the 09S SLRP could disappear by the time I reach my goal.

Two questions:

Will I be able to apply for OCS pretty quickly after AIT? (I have a 3.57 GPA in accounting + 124 GT)

Thanks!
    Not too sure about the SLRP, but I have read on these forums elsewhere where you can keep it as an 09S.

As far as going to OCS after AIT, you'll have to go before your state's OCS board... which may or may not be difficult for you. There are all sorts of criteria they may choose to base your app on - APFT, deployments, TIG/TIS, paygrade, MOS schools, civilian education, etc. And they usually only have those once or twice a year.

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
        Not too sure about the SLRP, but I have read on these forums elsewhere where you can keep it as an 09S.

As far as going to OCS after AIT, you'll have to go before your state's OCS board... which may or may not be difficult for you. There are all sorts of criteria they may choose to base your app on - APFT, deployments, TIG/TIS, paygrade, MOS schools, civilian education, etc. And they usually only have those once or twice a year.
        From what I've read and heard, some people get recommended pretty quickly (within a few weeks) after AIT for OCS. I understand this is highly dependent on my leadership characteristics and the person in charge of me, but it seems as if many NCO's want you to go to OCS quickly. Is there any truth to this statement? I do plan on drilling for several months before BCT, so that should give me time to build relationships in my unit.

As far as the board thing, is that a state by state basis? I'm not sure Ohio has boards. My understanding is you pass MEPS, do your APFT, and interview in Columbus with a Major. This is for enlisting 09S though. Maybe it's different once you're enlisted? The Major I spoke with told me they send out once a year in the summer and I'd have to have my app in by Feb. 1. Once again, this info is all based on enlisting as an 09S. However, the Major made it seem like the process was very easy.

Comment

From what I've read and heard, some people get recommended pretty quickly (within a few weeks) after AIT for OCS. I understand this is highly dependent on my leadership characteristics and the person in charge of me, but it seems as if many NCO's want you to go to OCS quickly. Is there any truth to this statement? I do plan on drilling for several months before BCT, so that should give me time to build relationships in my unit.

As far as the board thing, is that a state by state basis? I'm not sure Ohio has boards. My understanding is you pass MEPS, do your APFT, and interview in Columbus with a Major. This is for enlisting 09S though. Maybe it's different once you're enlisted? The Major I spoke with told me they send out once a year in the summer and I'd have to have my app in by Feb. 1. Once again, this info is all based on enlisting as an 09S. However, the Major made it seem like the process was very easy.
          Again, it's State dependent on how they want to send folks to OCS. However, a couple of things to help clarify or at least give you a point of reference -

1) Aside from paperwork and training, NCOs *shouldn't* have anything to do with your OCS board. In Texas, the board comprised of a LTC, a Maj and a couple of CPTs. Whether an NCO wants you to go or not is really irrelevant... unless you are looking at it through NCOERs, unit APFTs and the like. I can tell you, if your NCOERs are crap, you will not be going to OCS.

2) You should not be drilling with your unit before BCT. You will be stuck in RSP for that time with all of the other Initial Training little hooahs. So, the idea of schmoozing the NCOs is pretty much out the window.

3) Enlisting as an 09S and going before the OCS board are 2 very different experiences. If your goal is to be an officer, enlist as an 09S from the get go. Otherwise, you are not guaranteed a slot in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
            If your goal is to be an officer, enlist as an 09S from the get go. Otherwise, you are not guaranteed a slot in the future.
            +1. If your wanting to be an officer, then why not go that route directly. I understand if you want to get some enlisted time under your belt, but if that is the case then I think you will need to spend a couple of years before going OCS. The first year your just getting your feeet wet and learning your job. The 2nd year is when your actually being productive and learning the true role of an enlisted sodier. That is the advice I give to my soldiers who come back from AIT and want to go straight OCS.

Also, there is a chance that your CoC will not allow you to go to OCS right away. For whatever reason, they could delay you and then your stuck. Whereas if you go in as a 09S then you do BCT, come home and either AOCS or Traditional.This gives you the best chance at commissioning in a timely manner.

Comment

Originally posted by Portree228 View Post
              +1. If your wanting to be an officer, then why not go that route directly. I understand if you want to get some enlisted time under your belt, but if that is the case then I think you will need to spend a couple of years before going OCS. The first year your just getting your feeet wet and learning your job. The 2nd year is when your actually being productive and learning the true role of an enlisted sodier. That is the advice I give to my soldiers who come back from AIT and want to go straight OCS.

Also, there is a chance that your CoC will not allow you to go to OCS right away. For whatever reason, they could delay you and then your stuck. Whereas if you go in as a 09S then you do BCT, come home and either AOCS or Traditional.This gives you the best chance at commissioning in a timely manner.
              The only reason why I'm considering enlisted right now is because I'm 21 pounds over the weight limit and out of shape. I can pass the APFT now, but not with flying colors. I worry if I take 2-3 months to lose the weight and get my APFT up, the 50k SLRP could go away (that's huge for me, but not the only reason I'm joining.) Another factor is that I could start doing RSP now and learn some things before BCT. I'm trying to leave in January for BCT, so it would be the difference in 4-5 drills vs maybe 1 or 2 depending how fast I lost the weight.

I've pretty much plateaued right now. I've been at 200lbs (down from 225) for a couple of months and I just finished my second round of Insanity. It just seems that enlisting as 09s is a big risk if I know I can't meet the physical standards. After BCT and AIT, I should be ready to crush OCS.

Opinions? Should I just try to lose the weight or is my idea okay?

Comment

If you can pass the body fat standards, I'd suggest you go with OCS. If you don't pass, it's going to stop you from enlisting.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                  If you can pass the body fat standards, I'd suggest you go with OCS. If you don't pass, it's going to stop you from enlisting.
                  Not quite...Correct me if I'm wrong (and I hope I am), from what the Major told me, it's 26% to enlist and 22% to enlist as 09S. This is because OCS is held at prior service standards. I'm right at 26%, but depending on a good or bad tape, I could be 23-28%. I'm pretty confident I could pass the ARMS test if the army still does this.

Comment

The ARMS test is no longer conducted.

The max allowable percentage depends on your age. 26% is for us old folks 34 & older. Young bucks have to be 24% or lower for initial enlistment. After which you are required to maintain the standard of 24% or 22% respectively or be placed on AWCP.

Comment

Originally posted by bai78 View Post
                      The ARMS test is no longer conducted.

The max allowable percentage depends on your age. 26% is for us old folks 34 & older. Young bucks have to be 24% or lower for initial enlistment. After which you are required to maintain the standard of 24% or 22% respectively or be placed on AWCP.
                      So can I enlist as an 09S at 24%? I'm 24..

I've had a couple of recruiters tell me 26% and one is trying to get me to MEPS next week. I'm definitely not 24%, maybe with a good tape job

Comment

As far as learning from RSP, you will learn some from the 4 or 5 drills, but not enough to make a difference in the long run. Meaning, after you learn your ranks, soldiers creed and some drill and ceremony but you will get all of that within the first few days of BCT. Also, you will come out of BCT very fit and ready to ace any PT test, which sets you up very nicely for OCS. However, I'm not sure AIT would do the same for you. I have a lot of soldiers that come out of AIT barely able to pass the PT test, or even fail it. They get to the final stages of AIT and can eat all of the junk they want, they are not on mandatory PT programs like they are at BCT and early AIT so they go back to their old habits, gain weight and get out of shape very quickly. Just another reason that 09S may be the better route.

The SLRP is an open question as to whether that will be available in a few months or not. I don't know how quickly that can change.

Comment

The only reason why I'm considering enlisted right now is because I'm 21 pounds over the weight limit and out of shape. I can pass the APFT now, but not with flying colors. I worry if I take 2-3 months to lose the weight and get my APFT up, the 50k SLRP could go away (that's huge for me, but not the only reason I'm joining.) Another factor is that I could start doing RSP now and learn some things before BCT. I'm trying to leave in January for BCT, so it would be the difference in 4-5 drills vs maybe 1 or 2 depending how fast I lost the weight.

I've pretty much plateaued right now. I've been at 200lbs (down from 225) for a couple of months and I just finished my second round of Insanity. It just seems that enlisting as 09s is a big risk if I know I can't meet the physical standards. After BCT and AIT, I should be ready to crush OCS.

Opinions? Should I just try to lose the weight or is my idea okay?
                          I would try to lose the weight now vice trying to be an in-service OCS applicant. It's been mentioned by others and namely Portree228 hit the nail on the head, but you could be in an MOS where your unit gets mobilized and then guess what...you're not going to OCS. Trying to sign up for OCS right after AIT happens, but it's CoC dependent. Personally as a commander, IMHO, it would suck if you get a fresh MOS-Qd soldier and then they punch ticket to go off and you're left with someone on your roster but not a qualified body.

You'll have a much easier row to sow if you just get yourself in physical shape now and enlist straight 09S. Worst case if you can't hack it physically? You'll get to option to discharge or to select an MOS and go to AIT if you fail out.

Comment

Thanks for the help, EQM and Portree. I'm going to MEPS tomorrow without a job. You never know, I might sneak in at 22%. I'm 24% as of today, so we're getting close. A little sucking in of the gut might help, lol.

I finally found a good recruiter who isn't pushing me into anything as far as enlisting goes. He hasn't even given me a list of jobs yet. He wants everything else out of the way so I can take my time and decide. He told me he wants to get my physical out of the way because it's good for two years, so I can go to another branch if I want to leave him.

Also, I told my employer my plans today. He told my I am in line for a promotion and me being gone 3 months for basic is a monkey wrench, but not bad. I can't imagine adding AIT in there and having him happy. So, all in all, I think everyone is right about OCS.

Will I be competitive for state OCS with a low APFT score?

Comment

If you choose 09S, you will get a guaranteed slot in a state OCS class as long as A) Your paperwork is good to go and B) you *pass* the APFT and H/W. Cadre may not like a low (but passing) APFT score and will give you plenty of personal attention but they can't keep you out of OCS for it if it is in your contract.

Now, getting cut from OCS for some reason or another and a low APFT is quite possible.

My advice, go in as an 09S, work your posterior off and don't give them a reason to single you out.

Comment

Working...
                              X