Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Enlisted to officer question

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
    If you choose 09S, you will get a guaranteed slot in a state OCS class as long as A) Your paperwork is good to go and B) you *pass* the APFT and H/W. Cadre may not like a low (but passing) APFT score and will give you plenty of personal attention but they can't keep you out of OCS for it if it is in your contract.

Now, getting cut from OCS for some reason or another and a low APFT is quite possible.

My advice, go in as an 09S, work your posterior off and don't give them a reason to single you out.
    Thank you sir! I'm literally an inch off from 22%. I'm half an inch off if they give me 5'10 instead of 5'9. I'm fasting right now and will work out hard tonight + do some neck exercises. Then I will just pray for the best tomorrow. I'll post an update.

Comment

Stand up straight, elongate yourself, & hold the exhale to shave those waist measurements.

Give it a shot & best of luck to you!

Comment

Thanks everyone! I passed MEPS at 24% and was out by 10 AM (bonus). The standard for my age group was actually 26%. I came in an inch taller, but was standing so tall, I forgot to fatten my neck or I would have been 23%, lol.

My recruiter is setting me up for a board interview and APFT. Any advice on how this works? Is it like a job interview? Should I wear a suit and just bring PT clothes to change in? Thanks in advance...everyone has been so helpful.

Comment

For the board you will definately want a suit and tie, but obviously listen to your recruiter if he says something different. As far as the questioning goes, be prepared to talk about your leadership experience, and if you don't have any, then be prepared to talk about how you want to be a leader. If there are any blemishes on your record be honest and up front about them. Don't try to hide them, they will have your packet. If you made mistakes, own up to them and talk about how your different now and how your decision making process is different.

The interview itself will most likely be a panel interview. Usually it is a captain or two and then a Major or LTC. When answering a question, start your answer with looking at the person who asked the question, then take turns looking at each interviewer and end your question looking at the original person. Sit up straight, and if they tell you to relax, shift I fraction that makes it look like you relaxed some, but remain sitting up straight. Saying Sir/Ma'am I think is appropriate even though your not sworn in yet, I always think that is just good etiquette anyways.

In AZ the interview lasts about 50 minutes and you find out before you leave whether you made it or not. They will probably ask you to leave the room, talk about you, then bring you back in. I think this covers the basics, and others may chime in here with more info, but that is what I can remember from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Portree228 View Post
            For the board you will definately want a suit and tie, but obviously listen to your recruiter if he says something different. As far as the questioning goes, be prepared to talk about your leadership experience, and if you don't have any, then be prepared to talk about how you want to be a leader. If there are any blemishes on your record be honest and up front about them. Don't try to hide them, they will have your packet. If you made mistakes, own up to them and talk about how your different now and how your decision making process is different.

The interview itself will most likely be a panel interview. Usually it is a captain or two and then a Major or LTC. When answering a question, start your answer with looking at the person who asked the question, then take turns looking at each interviewer and end your question looking at the original person. Sit up straight, and if they tell you to relax, shift I fraction that makes it look like you relaxed some, but remain sitting up straight. Saying Sir/Ma'am I think is appropriate even though your not sworn in yet, I always think that is just good etiquette anyways.

In AZ the interview lasts about 50 minutes and you find out before you leave whether you made it or not. They will probably ask you to leave the room, talk about you, then bring you back in. I think this covers the basics, and others may chime in here with more info, but that is what I can remember from it.
            Thank you for this information. Where/when do I take the APFT? Is it right before I go interview with the board?

Comment

Did you actually swear into the guard? I would be a little surprised if you take a PT test prior to swearing in. Just if your injured as a civilian then I'm not sure what is place to handle that. Whereas if you have sworn in then they can put you on points orders and if your injured your taken care of.

But I could be wrong on that. Someone with more knowledge may be able to answer that.

Comment

Did you actually swear into the guard? I would be a little surprised if you take a PT test prior to swearing in. Just if your injured as a civilian then I'm not sure what is place to handle that. Whereas if you have sworn in then they can put you on points orders and if your injured your taken care of.

But I could be wrong on that. Someone with more knowledge may be able to answer that.
                I haven't sworn in yet. I was told by my recruiter that I had to interview and PT first, but he's never done officer recruiting before, so who knows. In a perfect world, I would interview and swear in, then pass the PT before I left for basic. That would give me 4 or 5 months to work on my PT because it's embarrassing right now. If I can get it to 240 or 250 before I leave for basic, I should be a monster after BCT. Plus, I plan on being smoked a little more as an officer candidate.

Comment

Your really stressing over the PT portion more than I think you should. Yes, you want to be in as good a shape as possible and at least be able to pass the 1-1-1, but beyond that you don't need to worry. You will come out of BCT looking good and able to easily handle the PT test. We had people in BCT that couldn't run a hundred yards when they got there and were acing the PT test by the end. We only had one person in the whole company that failed and it was the run by 3 seconds (I kid you not) and he got one last time to try the day of graduation and he made it. Big dude too.

As far as getting smoked for being an OC in Basic, that could happen, but just as often I hear that DS do nothing. That was true in my case. Me and 2 others were 09S and we were almost never put in leadership positions and didn't get any extra attention (though we didn't do anything to warrent any extra attention either). We were where we were supposed to be, when we were supposed to be there, doing what we were supposed to be doing. They were more focused on the 18-21yo who were constantly trying to get away with stuff and never doing the right thing. They also wanted to let more junior people get some time in leadership. The wall flowers that needed to become more assertive or the E4's who would be an NCO in 3 or 4 years, they were the ones that got the leadership time.

The three of us also kept quiet about it as well. We didn't tell anyone our MOS unless specifically asked by a DS. No reason to bring more attention to it than we needed to.

Comment

Your really stressing over the PT portion more than I think you should. Yes, you want to be in as good a shape as possible and at least be able to pass the 1-1-1, but beyond that you don't need to worry. You will come out of BCT looking good and able to easily handle the PT test. We had people in BCT that couldn't run a hundred yards when they got there and were acing the PT test by the end. We only had one person in the whole company that failed and it was the run by 3 seconds (I kid you not) and he got one last time to try the day of graduation and he made it. Big dude too.

As far as getting smoked for being an OC in Basic, that could happen, but just as often I hear that DS do nothing. That was true in my case. Me and 2 others were 09S and we were almost never put in leadership positions and didn't get any extra attention (though we didn't do anything to warrent any extra attention either). We were where we were supposed to be, when we were supposed to be there, doing what we were supposed to be doing. They were more focused on the 18-21yo who were constantly trying to get away with stuff and never doing the right thing. They also wanted to let more junior people get some time in leadership. The wall flowers that needed to become more assertive or the E4's who would be an NCO in 3 or 4 years, they were the ones that got the leadership time.

The three of us also kept quiet about it as well. We didn't tell anyone our MOS unless specifically asked by a DS. No reason to bring more attention to it than we needed to.
                    +1,000,000 - sounds exactly like my BCT experience.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'm stressing because I have have to pass a 2-2-2 before I can enlist. I confirmed this with the OSM today. He said I needed to PT and interview before they could send me to MEPS.

Comment

Originally posted by heathp123 View Post
                        Thanks for the advice. I'm stressing because I have have to pass a 2-2-2 before I can enlist. I confirmed this with the OSM today. He said I needed to PT and interview before they could send me to MEPS.
                        Really?? Interesting...

Comment

Yep. I'm pretty close to PA. I might call the OSM there and see what the requirements are just in case.

Comment

This really surprises me. I'm not saying it isn't true, but I'm surprised. As I said before, if you get hurt as a civilian doing the PT test I'm not sure how that is handled. What if an injury occured that prevented you from enlisting? I can understand having to do one before shipping to BCT, but a PT test before even going to MEPs. That seems strange.

Maybe someone on here can explain it to me, so I would be curious to learn more about it.

Comment

This really surprises me. I'm not saying it isn't true, but I'm surprised. As I said before, if you get hurt as a civilian doing the PT test I'm not sure how that is handled. What if an injury occured that prevented you from enlisting? I can understand having to do one before shipping to BCT, but a PT test before even going to MEPs. That seems strange.

Maybe someone on here can explain it to me, so I would be curious to learn more about it.
                              I'm not sure. For what it's worth, to put a packet in for OCS on the active side, you have to have an APFT score. You're still a civilian during the entire application process. So, if they do it there, it's not unlikely that it's done the same way in some states. I'm just hoping they don't hold my score against me in the decision process.

Comment

Originally posted by heathp123 View Post
                                I'm not sure. For what it's worth, to put a packet in for OCS on the active side, you have to have an APFT score. You're still a civilian during the entire application process. So, if they do it there, it's not unlikely that it's done the same way in some states. I'm just hoping they don't hold my score against me in the decision process.
                                Don't be surprised if they do. You're a complete unknown to the people reviewing the packet, so one of the few measurable things they can judge you on (with any direct relationship to the military) is your PT score. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Working...
                                X