Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Becoming an officer

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Becoming an officer

    Can someone explain the process of becoming a NG Officer in Ohio? I'm having a hard time finding the information. Do you have to apply and go in front of a board similar to the Army? I have a bachelors in accounting with a 3.56 GPA and I take the ASVAB on Tuesday, which I'm not worried about scoring 110 on the GT. My only real issue is that I am 5'9 200lbs (26% body fat), so I have about 20 pounds to lose. I can pass the PT though (is that required like it is for Army OCS?). I did 60 pushups in 2 minutes, 60 situps in 2 minutes, and a 15:00 2-mile recently. Not the best right now, but after basic I would be fine.

    To go in a little more detail: I've recently met with an Army recruiter and really want to include the SLRP in my package, but currently Army Reserves is only offering SLRP to enlisted members. I don't want to enlist if I don't have to, but the SLRP is tempting. My heart is with being an officer though. He also told me I that officer's in the NG are on a state level and have a hard time transferring to active duty Army, but I've read elsewhere that isn't true.

    So, any advice and explanation of the process would be very helpful!
    Last edited by heathp123; August 22nd, 2013, 08:51 PM.

  • #2
    Re: Becoming an officer

    Go speak with an active duty recruiter and tell him you want to go 09s.....

    In 4 years you'd be making 88K a year.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Becoming an officer

      Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
      Go speak with an active duty recruiter and tell him you want to go 09s.....

      In 4 years you'd be making 88K a year.
      But what's the process? Do I just enlist with 09S as my job and nothing else to it? I'm worried about my weight. My body fat is enough to pass the tape test for Army Reserve enlisted. I'm just curious what I need to do to apply. Like in the Army, you meet with a board, have to pass PT BEFORE you apply, and meet 22% body fat for officer. I'm certain I could do all of that after basic.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Becoming an officer

        Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
        Go speak with an active duty recruiter and tell him you want to go 09s.....

        In 4 years you'd be making 88K a year.
        Just as a side note - the 88K a year is active duty pay. You will not make that as a Guard member unless you were activated (deployed). However 09S is correct. This means you go to Basic training as an Officer candidate. You attend basic as an E-4 as opposed to an E-1. You attend Officer Candidate School (OCS) after basic and graduate OCS as an O-1. With the Guard you can do this one of two ways. You can do the traditional method which is training one weekend a month for 13 months. Or, you can do accelerated OCS which is an intense 8 weeks all at once. Are you wanting to do active duty Army? If so the process is slightly different. Your question is a little confusing. I assume you know the difference between Active Duty Army and Army National Guard. If not don't be afraid to ask that's what the forum is for.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Becoming an officer

          Originally posted by heathp123 View Post
          But what's the process? Do I just enlist with 09S as my job and nothing else to it? I'm worried about my weight. My body fat is enough to pass the tape test for Army Reserve enlisted. I'm just curious what I need to do to apply. Like in the Army, you meet with a board, have to pass PT BEFORE you apply, and meet 22% body fat for officer. I'm certain I could do all of that after basic.
          Correct - you enlist 09s. You also meet with a board prior to being accepted to OCS and they assess your APFT score as well. Losing the weight is your biggest concern right now.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Becoming an officer

            Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
            Go speak with an active duty recruiter and tell him you want to go 09s.....

            In 4 years you'd be making 88K a year.
            How much he makes will depend on a variety of things, most importantly his duty location.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Becoming an officer

              Originally posted by Jersey Dirtbag View Post
              How much he makes will depend on a variety of things, most importantly his duty location.
              I'm looking to do reserves/guard for a couple of years before deciding to go active. So, the main difference between 09s in the army reserves and the guard is that you spread your OCS out over those 13 months?

              Are the acceptance rates for civilians about the same for reserves/guard? My recruiter is strongly suggesting I enlist as an e4 because enlisting offers SLRP right now and officer doesn't. I'm not opposed, however I'm concerned it would be difficult to become an officer after enlisting (in AR/NG). Could anyone explain how difficult it is to switch over? I was thinking if I enlisted, that I would do two years then apply for OCS.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Becoming an officer

                Originally posted by heathp123 View Post
                I'm looking to do reserves/guard for a couple of years before deciding to go active. So, the main difference between 09s in the army reserves and the guard is that you spread your OCS out over those 13 months?

                Are the acceptance rates for civilians about the same for reserves/guard? My recruiter is strongly suggesting I enlist as an e4 because enlisting offers SLRP right now and officer doesn't. I'm not opposed, however I'm concerned it would be difficult to become an officer after enlisting (in AR/NG). Could anyone explain how difficult it is to switch over? I was thinking if I enlisted, that I would do two years then apply for OCS.
                Either the 13 months traditional of the 8 week Accelerated. I don't know the answer for acceptance rates but someone else may. It is farily simple to go from Guard to Active once you complete all of your training. 09S is currently the easiest way to get student loan assistance, yes.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Becoming an officer

                  Originally posted by Grappelli View Post
                  I don't know the answer for acceptance rates but someone else may. It is farily simple to go from Guard to Active once you complete all of your training.
                  They are zero. Effing zero. Do not speak about that which you do not know.

                  The Army is undergoing a reduction in force. Unless you are a 6'4" blonde astronaut with a PhD from Harvard, you are not transferring to active duty from the NG.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Becoming an officer

                    Originally posted by Grappelli View Post
                    You also meet with a board prior to being accepted to OCS and they assess your APFT score as well.
                    I never had to meet with a board before I enlisted as 09s. This is state-dependent.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Becoming an officer

                      Originally posted by Grappelli View Post
                      Either the 13 months traditional of the 8 week Accelerated. I don't know the answer for acceptance rates but someone else may. It is farily simple to go from Guard to Active once you complete all of your training. 09S is currently the easiest way to get student loan assistance, yes.
                      Your information is exactly the opposite of reality. Going from the NG to Active as an officer is not going to happen... regardless of MOS, education and what not. Enlisted have an extremely difficult time as it is.

                      What flavor of NG OCS a candidate goes to is state dependent and they all have their own criteria. However, APFT is *usually* a big portion of the decision...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Becoming an officer

                        Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
                        Your information is exactly the opposite of reality.
                        Well put. I find myself becoming increasingly annoyed with these unrepentant spreaders of misinformation.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Becoming an officer

                          For anyone interested:

                          Body fat requirements are 22% and you have to interview with an officer in Columbus before being accepted. You also have to do the APFT. Apparently a 180 (the minimum) is good enough to qualify for state OCS because they feel you'll improve after basic and they need officers bad. Interviews are done twice a month I believe and they do one OCS traditional class a year. Packets need to be in and basic needs to be completed by February 1st. This information is all coming from the Major I spoke with personally (he also does the interviews), not my recruiter.

                          On a side note, I got a 124 GT and 91 overall on the ASVAB yesterday...whoop whoop

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X