X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Round of MI Branch Questions

I would like to greet everyone and thank all of you ahead of time for your advice and information!

I'll start off with a little bit of back ground information, I am currently an E-3 in the NCNG and my MOS is 11B, I am a student with a really strong GPA, and currently enrolled in ROTC. I have been doing a lot of searching through this forum and Google for more specific answers and mostly what I've found have been pieces of partial and often times contradicting information. Also to clarify I am interested in commissioning Military Intelligence on the AD side not for the NG, but I'm positing my questions here due to the fact that I'm currently in the Guard and the forums here always seem to give the most clear answers. With all that being said I'll get to the questions:

1. How competitive are MI Branch Slots compared to Infantry Branch Slots? All of the MSIII/MSIV's I know always talk about how competitive Infantry Slots are so I feel like it's a good base point for comparison.

2. How long is MIOBC? As simple of a question as this sounds, I've heard 4 months, 6 months, and all the way up to a year. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

3. Is MIOBC accompanied or unaccompanied by your spouse? I've read the West Point Information document that states MIOBC is meant to be an unaccompanied TDY, yet I've read where some people say it's actually a PCS due to length of training. I've also been on Fort Huachuca's Facebook page where I've seen numerous 2LT's in MIOBC stating that they have housing on/off post with their spouse's does anyone here actually know if it's alright to move your spouse for MIOBC now?

4. One last question and this one is more of a general question that I know there is no definitive answer for, what can a MI 2LT expect to be doing once they reach their first unit? The most common answer I've ran into thus far is that I would be performing staff duties more than likely.

Once again thanks for all your help and feel free to ask any questions of me that you feel may be relevant!

Re: Another Round of MI Branch Questions

Originally posted by ravenger View Post
    what can a MI 2LT expect to be doing once they reach their first unit?
    I'd recommend going to ArmyOCS.com and checking out the MI subform. There has been several good threads on this exact topic (and on this site as well).

Comment

Someone who is an MI officer will chime in but the only way you get to PCS is if your school is at least 5.5/6 months. Anything less is a TDY. So, once you know the actual time from of your BOLC, then you will know for sure what it is.

Comment

Answers in red below. LEt me know if you have any more questions.

1. How competitive are MI Branch Slots compared to Infantry Branch Slots? All of the MSIII/MSIV's I know always talk about how competitive Infantry Slots are so I feel like it's a good base point for comparison. Can't help you on this one, I went OCS.

2. How long is MIOBC? As simple of a question as this sounds, I've heard 4 months, 6 months, and all the way up to a year. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!It's 4 months.

3. Is MIOBC accompanied or unaccompanied by your spouse? I've read the West Point Information document that states MIOBC is meant to be an unaccompanied TDY, yet I've read where some people say it's actually a PCS due to length of training. I've also been on Fort Huachuca's Facebook page where I've seen numerous 2LT's in MIOBC stating that they have housing on/off post with their spouse's does anyone here actually know if it's alright to move your spouse for MIOBC now?It an unaccompanied TDY school. You would stay in Army Lodging, which is basically a hotel on post. If you choose to stay somewhere else, with or without your spouse, it would be out of your own pocket.

4. One last question and this one is more of a general question that I know there is no definitive answer for, what can a MI 2LT expect to be doing once they reach their first unit? The most common answer I've ran into thus far is that I would be performing staff duties more than likely.It depends on what type of MI slot you get. You could be a Platoon Leader, MFT Leader, or staff(S-2 or assisant S-2). Staff slots are much more common. I was 1 of 2 in my MIBOLC class that was in a PL slot, the rest were staff.

Comment

Thanks for your fast reply sir! Is there any chance you could give me an overview of the types of things you do while at MIOBC? Other than that you pretty much gave me all the answers I've spent the past few weeks looking for!

Comment

In a nutshell, you will be doing a lot of analysis, creating PowerPoints, and briefing. You'll be creating intel products, both analog and digital, based on a fictitious senario. Your group (TOC) will spend part of the day creating and modifying your products based on the new intel you get that day. At the end of the day you'll brief an instructor on your products. This may not sound too high-speed, but thats the life of an MI officer. It's a pretty interesting coarse if your an analytical person, which you should be if you are wanting to branch MI.

Comment

Not forgetting you COULD end up in the S3 shop, a few of my AD peers from MIBOLC ended up in that situation.

Comment

Working...
              X