Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCS & selecting MOS

Hello forum,

I'm considering joining the Guard (MA if anyone here is from MA!) and going the OCS route. I've taken the ASVAB and qualify and all that jazz. I know picking your MOS depends on how you fare in OCS, but I'm curious how good of a chance you have to wind up with the job you specifically want. For example, I want nothing more than to be a Public Affairs Officer but I know officer contracts can't be written up to guarantee that, just enlisted positions. So I'm curious as to my odds of still getting that MOS after completing OCS. Anyone familiar enough in the matter to lend their opinion? Also, if someone could tell me what branch of service the Public Affairs Officer is in, that would also be helpful.

Thanks all,
    Nicole

Re: OCS & selecting MOS

Originally posted by battleshipkid View Post
    Hello forum,

I'm considering joining the Guard (MA if anyone here is from MA!) and going the OCS route. I've taken the ASVAB and qualify and all that jazz. I know picking your MOS depends on how you fare in OCS, but I'm curious how good of a chance you have to wind up with the job you specifically want. For example, I want nothing more than to be a Public Affairs Officer but I know officer contracts can't be written up to guarantee that, just enlisted positions. So I'm curious as to my odds of still getting that MOS after completing OCS. Anyone familiar enough in the matter to lend their opinion? Also, if someone could tell me what branch of service the Public Affairs Officer is in, that would also be helpful.

Thanks all,
    Nicole
    PA is not an entry level assignment.

Comment

As far as your chances of getting the MOS that you want there are a lot of factors that play into it that would be impossible to tell this far out in the timeline.

If you rushed through BCT and were done before Chistmas break, or right after, then you could potentially be done and ready to start OCS by next March when most states start a Phase 0. Then if you fast track and started phase 1 in July then you would finish about 8wks later and could commission as early as late September or October. A lot of stars, planets and ducks would have to align for this to all happen, but it could. A more realistic timeline is that you finish BCT prior to Christmas and then start Phase 0 and begin Phase 1 in July and take the 15 month process. Then in 2015 you commission. How many slots your state has for fast track heavily weighs how many get to go. Some states have almost no traditional program and send the majority fast track. Other states don't have the budget to send candidates fast track and so only 1 or 2 go and the rest do the 15 month traditional program.

Either way, that far out from now it is ALMOST impossible to tell what slots would be open. The state can see what officer movements are happening and what they expect to happen, but anything can happen over the next 2 years that would open or close slots. I have posted before, my slot as a Signal officer became available 2 wks before we were given our branch information. Prior to that I was slotted for a completely different job. But someone left the state and opened my job unexpectedly. Your chances also change based on how many slots of that MOS are available. If there is only one or two in the state, then it could be really tough. If there are more, then your chances get better. Your local Officer Strength Manager (OSM) would be the best person to ask.

Also, in some states the number one candidate gets their choice of MOS, whether there is a slot available or not. This is the person who graduates OCS top of their class. But if you fast track, then I believe a lot of states will say that you will go where they say, you don't get a choice. Needs of the Army in that case.

I believe that the Public Affairs MOS is a 46A.

I hope this info helps, and others with more experience may chime in, but that is my experience.

Comment

Public Affairs is not a branch but a Functional Area and not offered to LT's. You would have to be a CPT/MAJ for it.

Comment

If you want to serve in Public Affairs, then forget OCS and enlist in that MOS. As others have already mentioned, it will be years after commissioning before you even get the chance to do Public Affairs, and then it will only be for a few years at a time in between other assignments.

Comment

Working...
          X