Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Questions (RE: OCS route)

Hello,

1. Is there any reason I could not go the State OCS route? I'm looking to join and have 2 young kids and a wife. It would be easiest on my family if I were able to commission within my state rather than going to Federal OCS.

2. Am I correct in thinking that you choose 3 branches and are then assigned after successful completion of OCS? I'm in Colorado. Is there any way to find out what branches are in the highest demand?

3. Can an Infantry Officer attend Airborne and Ranger schools -- and what is the likelihood you would actually get the chance?

4. In terms of commission as an officer under State OCS, is the sequence of events RSP -> BCT (8 weeks) -> State OCS (16-18 mos typical National Guard weekends) -> Commissioned and assigned branch?

5. I understand employers are required to legally support 100% of these time requirements. I also understand employers sometimes still fire you. What I'm trying to understand is how this really works and if I should be worried. I work for one of the top software companies in the US ($5B in revenue).

6. Is there any reason I would not be eligible for the $20k SLRP for existing student loans?

Thanks in advance. I'm sure I'll have more questions but these keep going through my head at the moment.

Brian

Re: General Questions (RE: OCS route)

Answers Below -

1. Is there any reason I could not go the State OCS route? I'm looking to join and have 2 young kids and a wife. It would be easiest on my family if I were able to commission within my state rather than going to Federal OCS. State OCS route is the far more common, especially for those who are non-prior service or simply want to go State. People compete for Federal and AOCS slots. So yes, you could easily go State OCS.

2. Am I correct in thinking that you choose 3 branches and are then assigned after successful completion of OCS? I'm in Colorado. Is there any way to find out what branches are in the highest demand? You fill out a wish list but ultimately, it is the needs of the Army. I've seen people get #1 and #8. As far as Colorado, you'll need to contact the CO OSM.

3. Can an Infantry Officer attend Airborne and Ranger schools -- and what is the likelihood you would actually get the chance? Depends on your unit. If you unit is not AB, you won't get AB. As far as Ranger, even NG like their INF Officers to be Ranger qual'd, so you'll have a good shot at that.

4. In terms of commission as an officer under State OCS, is the sequence of events RSP -> BCT (8 weeks) -> State OCS (16-18 mos typical National Guard weekends) -> Commissioned and assigned branch? Yes.

5. I understand employers are required to legally support 100% of these time requirements. I also understand employers sometimes still fire you. What I'm trying to understand is how this really works and if I should be worried. I work for one of the top software companies in the US ($5B in revenue). Depends really on how military friendly they are and what you state's "right to work laws" are like. Google it.

6. Is there any reason I would not be eligible for the $20k SLRP for existing student loans? Yes. OCS candidates are not eligible for SLRP (unless things have changed...)

Thanks in advance. I'm sure I'll have more questions but these keep going through my head at the moment.

Comment

OCS candidates are currently eligible for SLRP. Otherwise concur with everything else above. As you have more questions come up about the Traditional route, please feel free to ask. There are plenty of us going through it right now or near completion.

Comment

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
        OCS candidates are currently eligible for SLRP. Otherwise concur with everything else above. As you have more questions come up about the Traditional route, please feel free to ask. There are plenty of us going through it right now or near completion.
        Dang. That's a plus for you guys!

Comment

What can be expected after OCS? Is this BOLC B for all assigned branches? For example, if assigned to the Infantry branch, would it require IOBC in Ft. Benning for 16 weeks? I'm trying to truly understand the time commitments overall and depending on how you are assigned.

Also, how do you get in touch with the State's OSM?

Thanks--I appreciate the help.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
            If you unit is not AB, you won't get AB.
            Plenty of leg NG units send their soldiers to take up slots at Airborne which other soldiers en route to airborne units actually need.

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey Dirtbag View Post
              Plenty of leg NG units send their soldiers to take up slots at Airborne which other soldiers en route to airborne units actually need.
              Maybe in MD... but no state I've ever been a part of sent a soldier to AB unless they needed it *or* they got selected at a schoolhouse (BCT, OSUT) as an award for being a top performer. But to say "plenty of leg NG units" sets up an unrealistic expectation for the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by bsgman View Post
                What can be expected after OCS? Is this BOLC B for all assigned branches? For example, if assigned to the Infantry branch, would it require IOBC in Ft. Benning for 16 weeks? I'm trying to truly understand the time commitments overall and depending on how you are assigned.

Also, how do you get in touch with the State's OSM?

Thanks--I appreciate the help.
                BOLC-A is your commissioning source, i.e. OCS. BOLC-B is your branch specific course. So yes, you'd go through IBOLC at Benning on Active Duty orders if you were to branch IN. You'd then return to your unit and begin resuming regular monthly drills and AT.

The state OSMs are typically in Recruiting and Retention, so you could ask your recruiter for the contact info and they should be able to get it for you.

Comment

Maybe in MD... but no state I've ever been a part of sent a soldier to AB unless they needed it *or* they got selected at a schoolhouse (BCT, OSUT) as an award for being a top performer. But to say "plenty of leg NG units" sets up an unrealistic expectation for the OP.
                  Touche. I don't have any actual numbers available anyway. I suppose I'm just bitter because I had to drive down to Fort Benning with my fingers crossed on the chance of getting a walk-on slot since all the NG slots had been taken, some of which went to non-ABN units. Fortunately everything worked out in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey Dirtbag View Post
                    Touche. I don't have any actual numbers available anyway. I suppose I'm just bitter because I had to drive down to Fort Benning with my fingers crossed on the chance of getting a walk-on slot since all the NG slots had been taken, some of which went to non-ABN units. Fortunately everything worked out in the end.
                    I applaud your effort. If I lived anywhere near FT B, I'd do the same as often as possible. It used to be that Officer could get a lot of schools simply being Officers... not so much anymore.

Comment

I applaud your effort. If I lived anywhere near FT B, I'd do the same as often as possible. It used to be that Officer could get a lot of schools simply being Officers... not so much anymore.
                      I live in New Jersey.

The issue at the state level isn't the availability of slots but rather funding for the orders. My unit doesn't have a funding issue so getting the orders cut was no problem. But no one knew if there would be a slot available once I got there, so I basically just had to take the chance or otherwise have the rest of the SF pipeline be delayed. Fortunately everything worked out.

Comment

I agree that 09S can qualify for SLRP. If you decide and are able to access via the traditional "State OCS" route, you are looking at 9 weeks of AD BCT, 15 - 17 months of State OCS (including two(2) two week AT phases), 15 - 19 weeks of branch specific BOLC, and then any add on schools you might be able to manage. It represents conservatively 2 years of calender time if they could all run concurrently....the likelyhood is there will be "white space" between enlistment and BCT, additional time between BCT and the start of State OCS, and potentially more time between commissioning and attending BOLC. Your personnel time chart could be between 2 - 3 years baring any injuries or other unforseen circumstances in becomming a branch qualified 2LT.

Comment

Working...
                        X