Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

ROTC Better Than OCS For Master Degree And Officer Branch Selection?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROTC Better Than OCS For Master Degree And Officer Branch Selection?

Hey Guys,

Tomorrow Tuesday I'll finally be able to sit down with the officer recruiter from the ROTC here at Puerto Rico.
    Being 31 years of age the officer told me I had until 34 to commission as an officer with initial waivers when it comes to ROTC and not OCS for the reserves, which I must say I don't mind studying for my Masters which just equals added useful and valuable entertainment in my schedule. Will be interesting to see if full time studying equals full-time when it comes to ROTC for post-graduate studies. Now!

What questions would you ask the Army retired 0-4 veteran that's in charge of the ROTC in Puerto Rico?
    Better yet, why ROTC would be a better option for a potential officer recruit than OCS as of today, 2013?

I've read in different places online dating back to 2005-2010 that ROTC is way more flexible, better for acquiring officer commission and that when it comes to branch/work selection I had better chances of getting the desired work! Be it Ordnance, Quartermaster, Transport, and the likes. My interest is mainly Civil Affairs as a reserve officer but it seems I'll need years of Army experience first, but for now knowing what other important questions will you ask an officer ROTC recruiter I believe would be best! Thoughts here?

Recruiter even told me in the 3-5 minute brief conversation that I can even go active as an officer after finishing ROTC which came as a shock with my age, but still of little to no interest because of my current business income and long term goals. As usual guys..thanks a million!

Re: ROTC Better Than OCS For Master Degree And Officer Branch Selection?

Look up my posts. This whole process has been discussed, at length... a lot... in the past.

Comment

you can attend the LTC Course and take care of your MSI/II years in one setting (needs approval from the PMS to attend... not usually an issue).

I suggest you stop talking to the recruiter and start talking to the school. There are 2 types of ROTC scholarships - Regular and GRFD. Regular is just that, regular. You are put up against all the other cadets in the country on the OML and are assessed as such. GRFD is strictly for RA/NG officers only. When you commission, you *will* be a RA/NG officer. In addition, as GRFD, it is up to you to locate a unit and branching assignment and you will be able to utilize the SMP option.
      Thanks for your point, every ROTC case varies so much that it'll be impossible to actually get the correct answer from my case. Perhaps I catch you at launch time? I did find your above notes useful for my particular case, so basically if your previous comment in the threads is to this day still correct my PMS recruiting officer might be able to confirm me if I am appropriate for an age waiver requirement, instantly, tomorrow instead of waiting weeks which is way better. That old comment was surely comprehensive enough for that part Thx

Comment

I was an early 30's cadet myself. It's not unheard of.... it' actually fairly common.

If you want Civil Affairs, you have to go Reserves, branch MI and try to get a slot in a CA unit (ie - get an LOA before you commission). Again, not unheard of but difficult simply because there are not a whole lot of them to begin with.

If that is your ultimate goal, then I suggest you hop on Google and locate a CA unit that is within you geographic range.

Comment

It really doesn't matter what you branch for CA. What does matter is that you can't enter into CA until your a 1LT promotable or CPT which is 3-4 years down the road. In that time a lot of things can change in your civilian/military career.

Branch something that will give you PL/company command time now, not something you think is cool 4 years latter.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
            I was an early 30's cadet myself. It's not unheard of.... it' actually fairly common.

If you want Civil Affairs, you have to go Reserves, branch MI and try to get a slot in a CA unit (ie - get an LOA before you commission). Again, not unheard of but difficult simply because there are not a whole lot of them to begin with.

If that is your ultimate goal, then I suggest you hop on Google and locate a CA unit that is within you geographic range.
            Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
            It really doesn't matter what you branch for CA. What does matter is that you can't enter into CA until your a 1LT promotable or CPT which is 3-4 years down the road. In that time a lot of things can change in your civilian/military career.

Branch something that will give you PL/company command time now, not something you think is cool 4 years latter.
            Just finalized an exchange with ROTC today and I've until 35 to commission with ROTC without waivers and up to 39 with waivers. Did not see good reasons to join ROTC if I still need to enlist as a reserve to get MBA fully paid, so will give more thoughts as to studying full time with 12 credits for MBA, being enlisted and at the same time having an ROTC commitment while having a local business to run, it's a lot as it was presented today in my view unless I pay for my MBA which I won't need to enlist in the reserves at first. Lots of good updated info received today.

Good points to continue the details, in the meantime, getting fit continues! Thx guys

Comment

You plan seems decent on paper but here's something to think about.... ROTC is a time vacuum. I kid you not.

As a MSIII cadet, you can look forward to putting in a bout 20 hours a week into just being a cadet. Not to mention FTXs, Projects and last minute details. Plus you have your academic class time, studying and trying to run a business? OP, good luck. I did my Master's with ROTC and the only thing that saved me was that I worked at night and it was generally slow so I had time to do my school work and planning.

Comment

Originally posted by Joaco View Post
                Just finalized an exchange with ROTC today and I've until 35 to commission with ROTC without waivers and up to 39 with waivers. Did not see good reasons to join ROTC if I still need to enlist as a reserve to get MBA fully paid, so will give more thoughts as to studying full time with 12 credits for MBA, being enlisted and at the same time having an ROTC commitment while having a local business to run, it's a lot as it was presented today in my view unless I pay for my MBA which I won't need to enlist in the reserves at first. Lots of good updated info received today.

Good points to continue the details, in the meantime, getting fit continues! Thx guys
                You can get 110 or more GT score on ASVAB and try to get a direct comminsion. If you had good grades on your BA and good references you should be fine. You can still serve in the NG as a officer and finish your Master's. If being a officer is your main goal then go for it, as it is harder to get commisioned once enlisted.

Just remember that when you go to OCS at the end you hace to choose a few jobs, and some of them need to be combat oriented. Someone else will be deciding your final job of the few that you selected.

PS: NCO's are the ''Backbone of the Army''
                Last edited by SpcBlanco; July 9th, 2013, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Direct Commission is civilians who have significant experience/education who want to go JAG, Medical or Chaplain. Direct commissions for war-fighter functions is for exceptional NCOs who an exceptional experience....

Neither of these apply to the OP and he will not have that option.

Going Officer once enlisted is not that hard, it happens all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by SpcBlanco View Post
                    You can get 110 or more GT score on ASVAB and try to get a direct comminsion. If you had good grades on your BA and good references you should be fine. You can still serve in the NG as a officer and finish your Master's. If being a officer is your main goal then go for it, as it is harder to get commisioned once enlisted.

Just remember that when you go to OCS at the end you hace to choose a few jobs, and some of them need to be combat oriented. Someone else will be deciding your final job of the few that you selected.

PS: NCO's are the ''Backbone of the Army''
                    Direct commissions take longer and aren't usually available, and when are they are for NCOs for basic branch. It's no harder to go to OCS after enlisted then enlisting for OCS. Branch selection is based on the state.

So pretty much your advice was a no go here.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
                      Look up my posts. This whole process has been discussed, at length... a lot... in the past.
                      Mine, too.

Comment

Working...
                      X