Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How BAD is an AFQT of 42 for a reserve officer candidate?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How BAD is an AFQT of 42 for a reserve officer candidate?

Hey Guys,

I always do bad without studying or at least reviewing, especially with math when it comes to certifications and licenses.

I failed phase 1 of the FBI exam, which I must say was one of the hardest back in 2008 and I believe I failed heavily, temporarily again now in a pre-test, with an AFQT of 42 in an army office walk-in test before hitting my schedule for the real ASVAB exam. I can tell the recruiter wasn't very interested once he saw my AFQT, he went from very excited to hardly wanting to talk after. That's kind of normal with me for first exams without studying, just though it was going to be a walk in the park this time.

So my question, I need a GT of 110, BUT how high must my AFQT be for getting a 110 GT for AR?

Time is ticking fast for me since I just turned 31 years last June, so I wonder how high on average my AFQT must be (for future practices on my end) and if as of now, I've until December 2013 to start preparing my packet after finally getting a 110 GT. I believe I've 3 chances if the below statement is also accurate and up to date...

Army: The Army will allow a retest only if the applicant's previous ASVAB test has expired, or the applicant failed to achieve an AFQT score high enough to qualify for enlistment, or when unusual circumstances occur, such as if an applicant, through no fault of his or her own, is unable to complete the test. For example, an applicant is called away from test because of an emergency. Army recruiters are not allowed to schedule a retest for the sole purpose of increasing scores in order to qualify for enlistment incentives, job qualifications, or other special enlistment programs.
    So in recap (as it's just a very interesting challenge for me..)

I need a GT of 110, BUT...
    - how high must my AFQT be for getting a 110 GT for an officer in the reserves or in NG (an average of AFQT scores for officer will be helpful)
    - how much time do you believe I have right now (based on current recruiting cut offs)
    - If I fail to reach my AFQT in my second ASVAB, will I qualify for a third try? (not sure if I can re-take ASVAB 3 times if I fail to reach 110 GT, just an edifying point based on the above research)

p.s- It usually takes me 1-3 test to actually pass difficult certifications and licenses so my edifying points are all to hope for the best and plan for the worst as always. The exam I never passed was phased 1 of the FBI, but pretty much everything I've passed after re-taking a valid exam for work. I just know myself well and this intel will also be super..thanks again guys

Hoorah from Puerto Rico
    Last edited by Joaco; July 1st, 2013, 10:48 PM.

Re: How BAD is an AFQT of 42 for a reserve officer candidate?

Boricua,

You have to go to the library and get the ASVAB study book, so you can better prepare.

In my case, I first took the ASVAB when I was in high school and 17 years old and got a high 50s AFQT. Then I took it over the years about five more times and then I started getting AFQTs of between 89 to 99. My GT is a 120.

You need to find out what areas you were weak in (e.g. arithmetic, reading comprehension) and take it from there. Practice makes perfect. Good luck.

Comment

Then I took it over the yea about five more times and then I started getting AFQTs of between 89 to 99. My GT is a 120.
      Yes, I recently received 2 both the dummies AFQT book, Kaplans, a math book only for ASVAB and flash cards to practice. So if the above is still good it might be great already in case I don't get my 110 GT.

I'm still wondering what that 42 AFQT definition would had been as a GT score. Recruiter said that's a 90's GT, but not sure what to believe if that's close to accurate, so I am here
      Just wanting to also get an estimate if submitting a packet once at December of this year or June/2014 will be enough time for me. Reasonable time and extreme time to study and make ideal PT/BT scores..so just trying to see time estimates to see if I can keep preparing myself more for BT as well. Mmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Joaco View Post
        I'm still wondering what that 42 AFQT definition would had been as a GT score. Recruiter said that's a 90's GT, but not sure what to believe if that's close to accurate, so I am here
        The AFQT is a composite score, so there's a flexible relationship between any individual line score and the AFQT. I recommend that you don't worry about the AFQT as such, since that's not a specific requirement for your path. Focus on the GT score, since that is a specific requirement.

Comment

The real answer if you're actually trying to become an officer is don't try and just meet the minimums. You should always strive to be the best in waht you do.

So you should take the time, study all of the material, and do the best you can on the overall test. Military.com has some good ASVAB study tests that look a lot like the real ASVAB too, so there's another source for you. If you do all of that, your AFQT and all of your composite scores (to include GT) will reflect the hard effort you put in.

Comment

A fellow boricua here!!

I used the ASVAB for Dummies book. Only had a chance to study the day before of the test . Got a 70 AFQT and a GT score of 110.

To be honest the study tests I did the day before were harder than the actual test (at least that was my experience). Google search Militaary.com/asvab and try the tests they have there. Remember to use a blank sheet and complete each math problem no matter how easy it looks. When you have no idea what the asnwer is look at the given options and try to use reasoning to eliminate wrong answers in order to narrow them down.

When you pass the test, be smart in choosing your MOS, Puerto Rico National guard has some MOS where the number of E-4's competing for a E-5 slot are greater than the available. If you get commisioned then thats another story.

Good Luck.
            Last edited by SpcBlanco; July 3rd, 2013, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
              The AFQT is a composite score, so there's a flexible relationship between any individual line score and the AFQT. I recommend that you don't worry about the AFQT as such, since that's not a specific requirement for your path. Focus on the GT score, since that is a specific requirement.
              Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
              The real answer if you're actually trying to become an officer is don't try and just meet the minimums. You should always strive to be the best in waht you do.

So you should take the time, study all of the material, and do the best you can on the overall test. Military.com has some good ASVAB study tests that look a lot like the real ASVAB too, so there's another source for you. If you do all of that, your AFQT and all of your composite scores (to include GT) will reflect the hard effort you put in.
              Originally posted by SpcBlanco View Post
              A fellow boricua here!!

I used the ASVAB for Dummies book. Only had a chance to study the day before of the test . Got a 70 AFQT and a GT score of 110.

To be honest the study tests I did the day before were harder than the actual test (at least that was my experience). Google search Militaary.com/asvab and try the tests they have there. Remember to use a blank sheet and complete each math problem no matter how easy it looks. When you have no idea what the asnwer is look at the given options and try to use reasoning to eliminate options in order to narrow down the options.

When you pass the test be smart in choosing your MOS, Puerto Rico National guard has some MOS where the number of E-4's competing for a E-5 slot are greater than the available. If you get commisioned then thats another story.

Good Luck.
              Awesome guys, thanks as always. I'm either Reserves, National Guard or finally Air Guard or Coast Guard if I can't make 0-1, shooting for the best but planning for the worst. SpcBlanco I won't mind having one or a few 95 calorie local light beers with you, sir

Comment

Awesome guys, thanks as always. I'm either Reserves, National Guard or finally Air Guard or Coast Guard if I can't make 0-1, shooting for the best but planning for the worst. SpcBlanco I won't mind having one or a few 95 calorie local light beers with you, sir
                That sounds like a plan! Add me on FB. Name is Cristopher Blanco (just how I wrote it)

Comment

Originally posted by SpcBlanco View Post
                  That sounds like a plan! Add me on FB.
                  Done

Comment

It's actually pretty cool to find out today I can still possibly join ROTC at 31, get my master debt-free and still get more control for branch over OCS reserve options. Oh local recruiters, don't we've to understand their needs! So far so good. The research continues

Comment

Like the COL said you should be more concerned with your GT score, but I am curious why do you want to be a Commissioned Officer? Initially I though that's what I wanted to do and since I already had a couple of college degrees, I thought I was already ahead of the curve, but when I joined the enlisted ranks, I thought that was the best decision I ever made, being an NCO has been my calling and I just couldn't see myself in meetings all days, going thru power point presentations, not to say that this is not important, but I just couldn't see myself doing it....

Comment

Originally posted by MDJV212 View Post
                        Like the COL said you should be more concerned with your GT score, but I am curious why do you want to be a Commissioned Officer? Initially I though that's what I wanted to do and since I already had a couple of college degrees, I thought I was already ahead of the curve, but when I joined the enlisted ranks, I thought that was the best decision I ever made, being an NCO has been my calling and I just couldn't see myself in meetings all days, going thru power point presentations, not to say that this is not important, but I just couldn't see myself doing it....
                        +1. I know many who have bachelor's degrees and desire to remain enlisted because they like to work directly with Soldiers and they feel they get more job satisfaction out of it.

Comment

It's actually pretty cool to find out today I can still possibly join ROTC at 31, get my master debt-free and still get more control for branch over OCS reserve options. Oh local recruiters, don't we've to understand their needs! So far so good. The research continues
                          This sounds familiar......

Comment

Working...
                          X