Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
What comes after OCS? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What comes after OCS?

    Hi everyone,
    I'm looking to join the national guard as an 09s, but still don't understand the process entirely. My plan is to graduate college this December, attend BCT in January which my recruiter can get an exception for, then take it from there. I understand its extremely difficult, but I'd like to try to get into the AOCS, but my question is what comes after that?

    The main reason I ask is because I want to attend graduate school in Fall of 2015 and I'm not sure if training would interfere with it. Thank you

  • #2
    Re: What comes after OCS?

    You would attend BCT, then in the spring you would begin OCS. You're right, you'll probably not attend AOCS but the traditional course. Which if you're trying to grad school it may not be a bad thing as you won't have to attend BOLC (branch school) right away and interupt your classes.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: What comes after OCS?

      As to the "what comes after" portion, you'll go to a Basic Officer Leadership Course (BOLC) specific to the branch that you are assigned. Those can range anywhere from 12 weeks to 18 months, depending on your branch.

      Go here: https://www.atrrs.army.mil/atrrscc/s...newsearch=true, type in a Branch under "Course Title," and you can see how long each different BOLC-B is.

      You have up to 24 months after commissioning to become branch qualified, but the truth is that no unit wants a LT sitting around forever without being trained.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: What comes after OCS?

        Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
        As to the "what comes after" portion, you'll go to a Basic Officer Leadership Course (BOLC) specific to the branch that you are assigned. Those can range anywhere from 12 weeks to 18 months, depending on your branch.

        Go here: https://www.atrrs.army.mil/atrrscc/s...newsearch=true, type in a Branch under "Course Title," and you can see how long each different BOLC-B is.

        You have up to 24 months after commissioning to become branch qualified, but the truth is that no unit wants a LT sitting around forever without being trained.
        My understanding is that you may even have more than that through waivers.

        However, you are eligible to promote to 1LT at 18 months from date of commissioning as long as you are BOLC qualified. If it takes you longer to complete BOLC than 18 months from date of commissioning it "may" delay your promotion and you "may" not be able to get that promotion back-dated.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: What comes after OCS?

          Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
          My understanding is that you may even have more than that through waivers.
          I got the same guidance a while ago. It's kind of a shame, really. Lots of non-qualified Early Commission Program graduates sitting around on top of slots...

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: What comes after OCS?

            Originally posted by Johnnyboy33 View Post
            Hi everyone,
            I'm looking to join the national guard as an 09s, but still don't understand the process entirely. My plan is to graduate college this December, attend BCT in January which my recruiter can get an exception for, then take it from there. I understand its extremely difficult, but I'd like to try to get into the AOCS, but my question is what comes after that?

            The main reason I ask is because I want to attend graduate school in Fall of 2015 and I'm not sure if training would interfere with it. Thank you
            How are you getting an exception for BCT? Just curious.

            Comment


            • #7
              Do you go to your BOLC right away after graduation? Or does BOLC (depending on the branch) occur later and they give you some sort of warning before you have to go?

              Comment


              • #8
                This thread is from three years ago and you already asked that question in another one.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                  This thread is from three years ago and you already asked that question in another one.
                  Actually, it's from a few months ago. I just wanted to ask here in case the people who wrote here would see this more easily.

                  Comment


                  • Chris36
                    Chris36 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Right, I was looking at his join date... The mods still don't like it when you ask the same question in more than one thread. Be patient.

                  • migscajigs
                    migscajigs commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No problem. Thanks for for the help! I didn't realize that posts were arranged by most recent comment.

                • #10
                  Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                  Re: What comes after OCS?
                  However, you are eligible to promote to 1LT at 18 months from date of commissioning as long as you are BOLC qualified. If it takes you longer to complete BOLC than 18 months from date of commissioning it "may" delay your promotion and you "may" not be able to get that promotion back-dated.
                  Aviation is the exception to pretty much every rule. I'll be 6 months out from CPT promotable when I leave Mother Rucker.

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Originally posted by migscajigs View Post
                    Do you go to your BOLC right away after graduation? Or does BOLC (depending on the branch) occur later and they give you some sort of warning before you have to go?
                    Most cases it's going to a few months or more after you commission before you attend BOLC. You'll know when you're going, the only time you may not is if you're trying to go earlier and then you may end up with little or no notice to attend.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X