Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guard Vs Reserves = Why Guard As An Officer?

Hello Guys,

Great to see an active forum with experienced guard members here. I'm hoping I'll get a clear view for making the best possible decision on my end.
    I went to talk to both Guard and Army Reserves recruiter for joining this year. I'd mainly like to know which is the best career branch option, in your experienced opinion, for joining
    the military as a weekend warrior.

My reality...
    - Just turned 31 years old this month
    - Divorced, no kids, kept my $1,200+ per month underwater mortgage after breakup
    - Publicist, Real Estate broker: $43K a year income average the past 2 years 2011/2012
    - Bachelors in Marketing (2.63 GPA, only beach,party and booze back then!) p.s - Thx Kemosabe
    - Living in Puerto Rico, with the idea of moving to Spain or internationally 10+ years from now preferably
    to a place where the military has presence (since I am thinking NG or Reserves for 20 years)
    - Weekend warrior as an officer only (or won't ever join NG or Reserves)
    - Main objectives: With an end in mind and in-a-nutshell, an 0-5 promotion accomplishment minimum in the NG preferably(I'll be happy with 0-5).
    Army Reserves recruiter said I am shooting low as O-7 is a possibility here at P.R for a 20 year career. That's surely fine, but I am doubtful(among my concerns)
    if I'll have the same promotion opportunities with the NG here at P.R were I'll be station here if finally decide joining the NG

My main concerns are with officer promotions down the road, knowing what kind of hassles will I've if I want to move outside of Puerto Rico in the upper states or internationally,
    and what would experienced NG soldiers here believe would be a realistic expectation as a weekend warrior in the guard, instead of joining the Army reserves branch based on my facts
    and realities above.

Would be grateful for this forums opinion, I know the PT and ASVAB test won't be a problem, so just my advance diligence on such an important 20 year decision.

Thanks and God Bless,
    Joaco
    Last edited by Joaco; June 23rd, 2013, 10:44 PM.

Re: Guard Vs Reserves = Why Guard As An Officer?

Originally posted by Joaco View Post
    Hello Guys,

Great to see an active forum with experienced guard members here. I'm hoping I'll get a clear view for making the best possible decision on my end.
    I went to talk to both Guard and Army Reserves recruiter for joining this year. I'd mainly like to know which is the best career branch option, in your experienced opinion, for joining
    the military as a weekend warrior.

My reality...
    - Just turned 31 years old this month
    - Divorced, no kids, kept my $1,200+ per month underwater mortgage after breakup
    - Publicist, Real Estate broker: $43K a year income average the past 2 years 2011/2012
    - Living in Puerto Rico, with the idea of moving to Spain or internationally 10+ years from now preferably
    to a place where the military has presence (since I am thinking NG or Reserves for 20 years)
    - Weekend warrior as an officer only (or won't ever join NG or Reserves)
    - Main objectives: With an end in mind and in-a-nutshell, an 0-5 promotion accomplishment minimum in the NG preferably(I'll be happy with 0-5).
    Army Reserves recruiter said I am shooting low as O-7 is a possibility here at P.R for a 20 year career. That's surely fine, but I am doubtful(among my concerns)
    if I'll have the same promotion opportunities with the NG here at P.R were I'll be station here if finally decide joining the NG

My main concerns are with officer promotions down the road, knowing what kind of hassles will I've if I want to move outside of Puerto Rico in the upper states or internationally,
    and what would experienced NG soldiers here believe would be a realistic expectation as a weekend warrior in the guard, instead of joining the Army reserves branch based on my facts
    and realities above.

Would be grateful for this forums opinion, I know the PT and ASVAB test won't be a problem, so just my advance diligence on such an important 20 year decision.

Thanks and God Bless,
    Joaco
    Um...okay.

NG promotions are highly state-dependent. PR may promote on a schedule different from NJ, which may be different from MD. It often comes down to slot availability.

Making O-5 within twenty years of commissioning seems reasonable, but is by no means guaranteed.

Making O-7 within twenty years is out of the question, period -- in any branch/component. The only exception would be if we wind up in a full scale / conventional conflict with a major world power and you happen to become one of the hard chargers who leads a platoon to victory over a company, a company to victory over a battalion, a battalion to victory over a brigade, and...you get the idea.

Better drop this "weekend warrior" garbage right now, too. Given the way the world is going right now, if you think you are going to do 20 years in the military without racking up some serious deployment time...well, good luck with that.

Edit: If you foresee yourself moving a lot (that is, to different parts of the country), then the Army Reserve will almost definitely be a better choice for you. Keep in mind that they have very, very few combat arms units.
    Last edited by Jersey Dirtbag; June 23rd, 2013, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Boricua, what is your level of education? You never mentioned that in your bio.

Also, if your goal is to live in Europe in the future; I would recommend the Army Reserves because they have units in Germany and Italy. Yes, you can join the Guard and switch later but in the current military climate it would be something that is very hard to do. But I know there is a big Guard presence in PR because I have friends that have served in the PR Guard.

Buena suerte.

Comment

The weekend warriors are pretty much limited to E1-E4 (and a lesser extent E5/E6 depending on the unit.) Lower enlisted can easily be soldier for a few days, then go back to civilian life, only caring about when the next drill's formation is and what gear/uniform to have. The responsibilities for senior NCOs and officers often require dedication and time spent beyond the single weekend.

Comment

Making O-7 within twenty years is out of the question, period -- in any branch/component. The only exception would be if we wind up in a full scale / conventional conflict with a major world power and you happen to become one of the hard chargers who leads a platoon to victory over a company, a company to victory over a battalion, a battalion to victory over a brigade, and...you get the idea.
          Glad to have this one sorted in record speed, good to ask others who aren't recruiters. The recruiter who mentioned this was Army Reserve and not the guard, but I had the feeling it's unlikely based on the average amount of wars too, so good one to get.

Better drop this "weekend warrior" garbage right now, too. Given the way the world is going right now, if you think you are going to do 20 years in the military without racking up some serious deployment time...well, good luck with that.
          Edit: If you foresee yourself moving a lot (that is, to different parts of the country), then the Army Reserve will almost definitely be a better choice for you. Keep in mind that they have very, very few combat arms units.
          Deployments aren't a mental issue for me, Coast Guard will be better if such a case which I evaluated already, but not interested. Points well taken as always. Likely moving to the states or internationally 10 years from now, just making sure it can be done while retaining reserves service at either of the branch. Surely Reserves better suited if internationally I guess with the info I've researched so far. Good points, valuable as hell to. Thx
          Last edited by Joaco; June 23rd, 2013, 11:09 PM. Reason: details, no need to bold my answers

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
            Boricua, what is your level of education? You never mentioned that in your bio.

Also, if your goal is to live in Europe in the future; I would recommend the Army Reserves because they have units in Germany and Italy. Yes, you can join the Guard and switch later but in the current military climate it would be something that is very hard to do. But I know there is a big Guard presence in PR because I have friends that have served in the PR Guard.

Buena suerte.
            Just added those details, in advance, I currently have the minimum. A BA in marketing thanks to party and booze I knew about Army in Germany, but not Italy which I already have as a 3rd language bucket list! Awesome..good info!

Gracias por la buena suerte, usted vaya con Dios también!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
              The weekend warriors are pretty much limited to E1-E4 (and a lesser extent E5/E6 depending on the unit.) Lower enlisted can easily be soldier for a few days, then go back to civilian life, only caring about when the next drill's formation is and what gear/uniform to have. The responsibilities for senior NCOs and officers often require dedication and time spent beyond the single weekend.
              Beyond the weekend, I work Monday to Saturday's on my end but I can adapt of course, ideas on what's the average for officers in the reserves/ng..like Thursday to Sunday's?

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle
                This is simply not true. Its incredibly hard to do...but kot impossible. Poke around on gomo and you will see a decent amount who did it.
                Gomo?

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
                  Gomo?
                  Spanish slang for Game of Thrones.

Comment

Is it possible (and hopefully very likely?) to do the 2 weeks annual reserve training overseas like, Italy or Germany be it NG or Reserves?

Since the NG belongs to the Army, I am sure someone active or as a reserve is doing this or to the very least attempting it, question being if it can be done, how easy/simple it's for getting such training as a reserve if it can get done in the first place.

p.s - I can just see myself doing the 2 week annual training internationally every single year..just another reason why Army/NG are better then the CG for me Oh yeah
                    Last edited by Joaco; June 24th, 2013, 12:37 AM. Reason: added p.s

Comment

GOMO= General Officer Management Office.

While yes it's possible and has happened, in reality it's not likely. Most GO's apply multiple times. As Jwarren and Stevelord mentioned the time comitment is well beyond just a weekend a month. The more senior you are, the more time you're going to have to spend doing Army work.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                        GOMO= General Officer Management Office.

While yes it's possible and has happened, in reality it's not likely. Most GO's apply multiple times. As Jwarren and Stevelord mentioned the time comitment is well beyond just a weekend a month. The more senior you are, the more time you're going to have to spend doing Army work.
                        Will I be right assuming the pay will be greater if it's more time performed on my end? E.g; Thursday/Sunday work, more pay or just the standard salary. This could triggers "reasons why" I want to join, but
                        the more facts the better as I basically have two businesses in one. Just in need to know how much more time will I've to separate in advance. Thanks

Comment

No, most of this time you will donate. There times when you get paid or you can get retirement points but in the vast majority of it is unpaid.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                            No, most of this time you will donate. There times when you get paid or you can get retirement points but in the vast majority of it is unpaid.
                            Makes sense and a good balance, points are ideal for sure. What triggered my reply among the edifying points still in question was this 2009 response from a different resource..

posted Tue 06 January 2009 12:10 PM
                            Since your reserve not guard I am going to assume you are going to your home unit not an RSP because RSP is for guard. If you are going to your unit and are not MOS'Q youll probably do pt when they do pt but do a lot of b----work during their briefings. Have fun cleaning the armory and doing KP (kitchen patrol aka cooks ----). Just do what your told because when you get back from bct/ait youll see these same people again.
                            I'll definitely need to pay a visit to the Reserves again, seems I missed important details, just hope that be it O-1 or MOS for enlisted the things done in PR are useful and productive. I'll even work for free as long
                            as the work is useful and brain work on my end and not fast food 'unproductive' (in my view of course) type of work in a consistent basis. So important..thx again redleg and others for the helpful advice.
                            Last edited by Joaco; June 24th, 2013, 11:14 PM.

Comment

A lot will depend on the unit leadership on what they do with the pre BCT/AIT Soldiers. Some units do not do well with pre BCT/AIT Soldiers. Neither did the NG wich is part of the reason they now have RSP.

Comment

Working...
                              X