X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transition from ROTC Scholarship to a GRFD (Guard) Scholarship

I am a Cadet, going into my junior year of college. I currently have a scholarship and a contract with ROTC. I have done some research and I am thinking about switching my contract over to a GRFD. I have talked to the Training NCO of the Guard Unit I would like to join and I like the way it is ran. Is the benefits of switching the contract to a GRFD worth it? I understand I will receive the additional pay and be able to drill with the unit. Are there any drawbacks to a GRFD that are not listed?

Re: Transition from ROTC Scholarship to a GRFD (Guard) Scholarship

Originally posted by TreadStone View Post
    I am a Cadet, going into my junior year of college. I currently have a scholarship and a contract with ROTC. I have done some research and I am thinking about switching my contract over to a GRFD. I have talked to the Training NCO of the Guard Unit I would like to join and I like the way it is ran. Is the benefits of switching the contract to a GRFD worth it? I understand I will receive the additional pay and be able to drill with the unit. Are there any drawbacks to a GRFD that are not listed?
    You can't SMP under the regular ROTC contract? That's news to me.

Comment

You can do SMP under the regular ROTC contract if you join the guard prior to signing the ROTC contract sir. Or that is at least what I was told. I contracted ROTC and was told I could no longer do SMP unless I dropped my scholarship or switched it to a GRFD.

Comment

Originally posted by TreadStone View Post
        You can do SMP under the regular ROTC contract if you join the guard prior to signing the ROTC contract sir. Or that is at least what I was told. I contracted ROTC and was told I could no longer do SMP unless I dropped my scholarship or switched it to a GRFD.
        The issue is the scholarship. Those on campus-based scholarships are excluded from SMP, whereas GRFD and DedARNG scholarship awardees must participate in SMP as a condition of their scholarship. Those not on scholarship have the option either way.

If you know you want to serve in the Guard, convert your scholarship to DedARNG (not GRFD, because those are more limited in number). This demonstrates your commitment to the Guard. Some States put DedARNG cadets on a higher priority for units or branches with high demand. You may wish to speak with your State's OSM about that.

Comment

Thank you for the reply sir. I'll talk to my State's OSM.

Comment

Working...
          X