X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BOLC and branch selection??

Perhaps, you need a life coach or a mentor; It's common to fickle at such a young age.

Comment

OP, I'd say you've got a pretty decent representation branches. MI/Signal may not be the best as you'll probably be stuck on staff.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
        OP, I'd say you've got a pretty decent representation branches. MI/Signal may not be the best as you'll probably be stuck on staff.
        +1.

What the CPT means is that as an S6 LT (like me) you will be slotted to be on the staff for a Maj or LTC or COL. Usually each of the Major "S" Shops (supply, Signal, Personnel...etc) have a LT or CPT that runs them during drill weekends and AT. You will be responsible to plan all of the comms (Radio, Email, Telephones) and ensure that the unit always has some connectivity both to higher units and lower units. I am in an Aviation unit and I spend a lot of time during drill weekends when we are in the field working on radios and getting the birds talking with ground control. In generic terms my team sets up the center where commanders will get all of the data on their flights, radios for them to talk with the birds, phones and email so they have connectivity. When we are not in the field, then my team is doing maintenance on all of our equipment.

That being said, you can still branch Signal as an LT and then when it comes to your Captains Career choice then you can branch something else, Quartermaster is usually a good balance, or with all of those infantry units maybe something in those fields. So signal may have a hard time promoting much above CPT, it doesn't mean that you have to completely remove it, you just have to take the time to plan. To help with that, as LTC Ritchie said, talk with your state OSM. They will be a good source for info.

Comment

The Brigade Special Troops Battalion you listed above has a Signal company and a MI company. So if you branched either of those and got lucky, you could end up with some Platoon Leader and/or Company XO time in either of those branches. There are probably only 3-4 LT slots in each of those 2 companies though, so the opportunity is limited. Other than that, you'd be in a staff shop, either S2 (MI) or S6 (Signal).

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeGuard View Post
            There are some very good pieces of advice here and I appreciate it. I'll say a few things in response to some of the new points made.

Signal Warrant Officer would be interesting, to be honest though I have a few reservations about that. I like that they would be doing all the hands on techie stuff but, 1) I would have to rank up to at least sergeant if i'm correct and then try to go for warrant officer (from what iv'e heard) or at least it's very to hard to become one otherwise. 2) To be honest I don't like my MOS. Working on radios isn't exciting at all for me. What I really would have liked would have been a 25B or something more IT related and less on setting up radios, so I don't necessarily want to be stuck with that.

I would kinda like being a company commander or higher eventually in a field too so that doesn't really bother me.

As far as Military Intelligence officer, to be honest I have no clue what they would actually do like during their "duty day" etc...so more insight into that would be appreciated.
            Yes, as a current E-3, the Signal WO goal is about 3 to 4 years away (at least). And Guard is known for more old man/woman warrants than AC.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
              On the S2 side of the staff, your main focus will be analysis and recommendations- how does all the information fit into the bigger picture, what is the enemy doing, what does your commander need to know etc.. In garrison you'll also have a part in the production of the OPORD/FRAGOs, specifically the INTSUM and situation/terrain/weather parts of the OPORD, scrubbing security clearance rosters, some involvement in physical security(more of an AGR thing).

The thing I see is that your state probably has no shortage of LT slots given the number of BNs and the MICO there. The question will be after you hit your CPT, how many slots are available?

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC View Post
                Perhaps, you need a life coach or a mentor; It's common to fickle at such a young age.
                Im not fickle. I know what I want out of life. I just am trying to find the most efficient way of doing it and planning it out ahead of time, and I'm not afraid to make changes if I am in a situation or going to be in a situation that will not be the most beneficial to me.

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
                Ditto on the MI side.

If you have questions on being a MI officer shoot me a PM. I'm happy to answer what I can and give you some insight into the MI world from an officer standpoint.
                What exactly does an MI officer do?

Originally posted by peacekeeper View Post
                On the S2 side of the staff, your main focus will be analysis and recommendations- how does all the information fit into the bigger picture, what is the enemy doing, what does your commander need to know etc.. In garrison you'll also have a part in the production of the OPORD/FRAGOs, specifically the INTSUM and situation/terrain/weather parts of the OPORD, scrubbing security clearance rosters, some involvement in physical security(more of an AGR thing).

The thing I see is that your state probably has no shortage of LT slots given the number of BNs and the MICO there. The question will be after you hit your CPT, how many slots are available?
                So you would be a leader of a team basically setting up coms equipment?

I also would kinda like being at a tradoc post on the other side so to speak, but ive heard that tradoc is a pain in the butt, although idk if that's just because there's more regulations or whether it's significantly more difficult than regular garrison environment. Also is there such a thing as a recruiting officer, because I had been thinking about that as an option?

Comment

So you would be a leader of a team basically setting up coms equipment?
                  No, you are thinking of the S6, the S2 is the Intel Section of the BN. If you were a MI staff officer you would probably be doing some or most of the stated duties I listed above.

I also would kinda like being at a tradoc post on the other side so to speak, but ive heard that tradoc is a pain in the butt, although idk if that's just because there's more regulations or whether it's significantly more difficult than regular garrison environment. Also is there such a thing as a recruiting officer, because I had been thinking about that as an option?
                  Now are you thinking NG or AD? If you are NG, it really doesn't matter since you'll be drilling at whatever armory your unit is at. Now if you are AD... personally I wouldn't recommend getting stuck at a TRADOC post as a brand new LT, you want to be out at the PLT or BN level learning/leading/interacting with the joes and NCOs. Plus the fact that if you start your career at a TRADOC post you aren't gonna PCS till after the CCC.

You'll have branch day at LDAC to help you decide too.

Comment

Working...
                  X