X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOLC and branch selection??

So I recently passed BCT and am at AIT in Fort Gordon as a 25Q. Im doing ROTC when I get back and assuming everything goes as planned and I commision, I just realized that I go to BOLC for training in my branch.

I'm looking for advice as far as branches to choose from etc...
    I actually would prefer a desk job as opposed to a hands on one, unless by hands on we mean using computers. So assuming I am able to choose from whatever branch I want, what are some recommendations?

Re: BOLC and branch selection??

Duh, Signal comes to mind.

Chemical and Ordance are also fairly paperwork/desk heavy. MI *can* be very desky, but only if you get into a S-2 shop.

Comment

Go Infantry first then transfer as a FA53 or FA24

http://www.signal.army.mil/442sig/Courses/fa24/faq.asp

http://ischool.syr.edu/future/washin...nalcenter.aspx

Comment

What kind of units are in your state?

Comment

What units are in your state is a very good question, but also, what interests you? A desk job that is very report driven would drive me nuts, but a desk job like a project manager is tons of fun. So something like quartermaster may not be the best fit for me, but as a Signal Officer a I have a lot of flexibility in my job and can make it either very hands on techie or a very desk driven job. So maybe some more information would help us guide you better.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
            Duh, Signal comes to mind.

Chemical and Ordance are also fairly paperwork/desk heavy. MI *can* be very desky, but only if you get into a S-2 shop.
            I was thinking MI might be cool but to be honest I would like something in a desk, preferably techie but I don't have a problem filling reports.
            My degree will be in computer science but I also have a good amount of knowledge in physics, mathematics, and chemistry.

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
            Yeah...definitely would not want to branch infantry.

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
            What kind of units are in your state?
            I honestly don't know. I know that my choices for MOS's when I enlisted were truck driver (we have a lot of those in my area) Military Intelligence, and 25 series.

Originally posted by Portree228 View Post
            What units are in your state is a very good question, but also, what interests you? A desk job that is very report driven would drive me nuts, but a desk job like a project manager is tons of fun. So something like quartermaster may not be the best fit for me, but as a Signal Officer a I have a lot of flexibility in my job and can make it either very hands on techie or a very desk driven job. So maybe some more information would help us guide you better.
            Project manager would be fun or something along those lines. I would prefer techie. Also currently my Company CO was apparently an "ethical hacker" mos or something like that? Something along those lines would be awesome.

Comment

If you really want hands on techie, then you may consider becoming a Warrant Officer. I have 3 that work in my G6 shop and they are VERY hands on. The officers that I work with have all been hands on, but as they go up the ranks it significantly declines quickly. Our warrants are the ones that have the Ethical Hackers License, Secruity+, and all of those types of licenses. I could get them, but then maintaining them without all of the hands on that the Warrants have would be difficult, unless your outside employment required them as well.

The Officer MOS is 25A. The BOLC is 16 wks at FT Gordon and it is a good overview of both Computer and Radio based equipment. Another thread on this said it really well, I came away with the ability to talk about networking, Security, Encryption, COMSEC, Wave Propagation, but I am by no means an expert on any of it. As an officer you will do a lot of OJT and that is expected. But your learning to be a Platoon Leader and eventually a company commander. So your learning all about the officer side of the world, while trying to run the signal crew as well.

If you have questions on being a Signal officer shoot me a PM. I'm happy to answer what I can and give you some insight into the Signal World from an officer standpoint.

Comment

Ditto on the MI side.

If you have questions on being a MI officer shoot me a PM. I'm happy to answer what I can and give you some insight into the MI world from an officer standpoint.

Comment

I am a Regular Army Signal Chief Warrant Officer with certs and IT degrees galore lol. The LTs here hit it on the mark. If you want advice, feel free to PM me.

Comment

There are some very good pieces of advice here and I appreciate it. I'll say a few things in response to some of the new points made.

Signal Warrant Officer would be interesting, to be honest though I have a few reservations about that. I like that they would be doing all the hands on techie stuff but, 1) I would have to rank up to at least sergeant if i'm correct and then try to go for warrant officer (from what iv'e heard) or at least it's very to hard to become one otherwise. 2) To be honest I don't like my MOS. Working on radios isn't exciting at all for me. What I really would have liked would have been a 25B or something more IT related and less on setting up radios, so I don't necessarily want to be stuck with that.

I would kinda like being a company commander or higher eventually in a field too so that doesn't really bother me.

As far as Military Intelligence officer, to be honest I have no clue what they would actually do like during their "duty day" etc...so more insight into that would be appreciated.

Comment

OP, you really need to find out what units are available in your state. MI/Signal may sound cool but there's a good chance they aren't even avialable or if they are you're going to really limit your promotion potential. As far as all hands on or desk job, no branch will do that as they're a blend of the two.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                        OP, you really need to find out what units are available in your state. MI/Signal may sound cool but there's a good chance they aren't even avialable or if they are you're going to really limit your promotion potential. As far as all hands on or desk job, no branch will do that as they're a blend of the two.
                        How would I go about finding that information?

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeGuard View Post
                          Google your state's NG. The Go Guard site used to have a pretty decent tool to see what units were around you.

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeGuard View Post
                            Ask your National Guard recruiter to put you in touch with the State OSM.

Comment

So apparently my state sucks kinda as far as units. Here is what I have found:

Joint Force Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment
                              -Army Aviation Support Facility, St. Paul
                              -Army Aviation Support Facility, St. Cloud
                              -Medical Detachment
                              -Operational Mentoring Liaison Team
                              -Recruiting and Retention Battalion
                              -Training Support Unit
                              -175th Regiment (Regional Training Institute)
                              --1st Battalion (Officer Candidate School)
                              --2nd Battalion (General Studies)
                              --2nd Battalion (Regional Training Site-Maintenance)

34th Red Bull Infantry Division
                              -Main Command Post
                              -Tactical Command Post
                              -Division Headquarters and Headquarters Battalion
                              -34th Infantry Division Band

1st Armored Brigade Combat Team of the 34th Infantry Division
                              -Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1 ABCT
                              -1/34th Brigade Special Troops Battalion
                              -1/34th Brigade Support Battalion
                              -1st Combined Arms Battalion, 194th Armor Regiment
                              -C Company
                              -1st Squadron, 94th Cavalry
                              -1st Battalion, 125th Field Artillery
                              -2nd Battalion, 135th Infantry
                              -2nd Combined Arms Battalion, 136th Infantry

34th Combat Aviation Brigade
                              -Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 34 CAB
                              -2nd Battalion, 147th Assault Helicopter Battalion
                              -A Company
                              -834th Aviation Support Battalion
                              -Headquarters and Supply Company
                              -A Company, 834 ASB
                              -B Company, 834 ASB
                              -C Company, 834 ASB
                              -B Company, 2nd General Support Aviation Battalion, 211th Aviation Regiment
                              -C Company, 2nd General Support Aviation Battalion, 211th Aviation Regiment
                              -C Company, 1st General Support Aviation Battalion, 171st Aviation Regiment
                              -F Company, 1-189 Aviation Regt., General Support Aviation Battalion

84th Troop Command
                              -Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 84 TC
                              -1st Battalion, 151st Field Artillery
                              --E Battery, 151st Field Artillery
                              -34th Military Police Company
                              -55th Civil Support Team
                              -257th Military Police Company
                              -682nd Engineer Battalion
                              -434th Chemical Company
                              -849th Mobility Augmentation Company
                              -850th Horizontal Engineer Company
                              -851st Vertical Engineer Company

347th Regional Support Group
                              -Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 347 RSG
                              -114th Transportation Company
                              -147th Human Resources Company
                              -147th Financial Management Detachment
                              -204th Area Support Medical Company
                              -224th Transportation Company
                              -247th Financial Management Detachment

Comment

Working...
                              X