X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming an O grade

Hola all! First time poster here. So I'm I'm currently a CW2 UH-60 instructor pilot, and am starting college this fall. Though I have no previous college education the school I'm going to is basically going to give me credit for the first two years of college toward an aerospace engineering degree based off of my military education (specifically flight school). Lately I've been thinking of going the O grade route and know that there are many ways of going about that. Most of the WO's I know who went the O grade route (in AV at least) did so through direct commission, though that seems unlikely to happen at the moment. I talked to the ROTC CDR at my school (an LTC don't know their exact title) and his exact words were "having a chief around may poison the learning environment, I'd encourage you to pursue your commission through other means." Apparently he has a thing against WO's. Does anyone have any advice on how to continue with this?

Re: Becoming an O grade

Have you looked at going through OCS?

Comment

Originally posted by hawkpilot View Post
      I talked to the ROTC CDR at my school (an LTC don't know their exact title) and his exact words were "having a chief around may poison the learning environment, I'd encourage you to pursue your commission through other means."
      What an a$$hole!

Comment

I talked to the ROTC CDR at my school (an LTC don't know their exact title) and his exact words were "having a chief around may poison the learning environment, I'd encourage you to pursue your commission through other means."
        LOL

I think it would be much harder on you than on the other Cadets...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike2K View Post
          What an a$$hole!
          Agree. I will welcome the background and experience. If ROTC is an alternative; then go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike2K View Post
            What an a$$hole!
            I don't know what the deal is with ROTC Commanders other than they probably don't want prior service amongst their babies. But I called a while back wanting to enroll when I was in my 30's. The guy was short of saying HECK NO and nearly broke the phone in half when he hung up. I really could have cared less anyways. Just wanted to see if I could pursue that option.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
              I don't know what the deal is with ROTC Commanders other than they probably don't want prior service amongst their babies. But I called a while back wanting to enroll when I was in my 30's. The guy was short of saying HECK NO and nearly broke the phone in half when he hung up. I really could have cared less anyways. Just wanted to see if I could pursue that option.
              I had the same issue. I was 29 when I started ROTC, and they told me I was too old. I brought the regs in and showed them. I didn't get a scholarship because of my age, but I wasn't too old to commission. I had to do what amounted to a board with the Commander, XO, and Ops Officer. A year later, I was #1 on the OML and they made me Cadet BN Commander. Every day they saw me I wanted to say "I told you so."

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
                I had the same issue. I was 29 when I started ROTC, and they told me I was too old. I brought the regs in and showed them. I didn't get a scholarship because of my age, but I wasn't too old to commission. I had to do what amounted to a board with the Commander, XO, and Ops Officer. A year later, I was #1 on the OML and they made me Cadet BN Commander. Every day they saw me I wanted to say "I told you so."

Bet they smiled in your face with the 'I knew you would be a valuable asset all along' look every day they saw you too.

My former Master Sergeant asked to speak recently at an RSP send off ceremony a couple weeks ago. An NCO that 'kicked me when I was down' because I "got so many degrees" had to watch me be praised for my accomplishments and going to OCS, and watch me give a speech to the entire detachment. You could literally see him holding his tongue while he looked everywhere else but my direction.

Comment

Be careful gents; don't want to strain your shoulder patting yourself on the back.

Comment

Hola all! First time poster here. So I'm I'm currently a CW2 UH-60 instructor pilot, and am starting college this fall. Though I have no previous college education the school I'm going to is basically going to give me credit for the first two years of college toward an aerospace engineering degree based off of my military education (specifically flight school). Lately I've been thinking of going the O grade route and know that there are many ways of going about that. Most of the WO's I know who went the O grade route (in AV at least) did so through direct commission, though that seems unlikely to happen at the moment. I talked to the ROTC CDR at my school (an LTC don't know their exact title) and his exact words were "having a chief around may poison the learning environment, I'd encourage you to pursue your commission through other means." Apparently he has a thing against WO's. Does anyone have any advice on how to continue with this?
                    First, why do you say direct commission isn't avaliable "at the moment".

Second, what is your end state goal to doing this? In other words...why.

Third, read up on something called "save pay" if you do become an O. Many times DFAS overlooks it, and you lose money.

Comment

Originally posted by collk22 View Post
                      Be careful gents; don't want to strain your shoulder patting yourself on the back.
                      Well, somebody's gotta do it!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
                        First, why do you say direct commission isn't avaliable "at the moment".

Second, what is your end state goal to doing this? In other words...why.

Third, read up on something called "save pay" if you do become an O. Many times DFAS overlooks it, and you lose money.
                        +1. Many E-8s that went the WO route, got their save pay since they were taking a cut becoming a WO1; even a reduction in BAH.

Comment

As an IP that sounds like a swank job. Why would you give that up? You do know as a RLO you are not going to fly anywhere near what you do now, correct?

From what I gather there are a lot of RLOs, in AV anyway, that resign their commisions around CPT and become WOs because they want to continue to fly. As someone that flies as much as you do, that sounds like you're kind of going about it backwards unless you just don't want to fly that much anymore.

Either way, I would agree that ROTC would be your best option but as an AV WO already, you'd have no problem getting AV going through OCS.

Comment

Working...
                          X