Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
ROTC after completing BCT and AIT Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ROTC after completing BCT and AIT

    Warning, this will be a long post due to lots of necessary questions and details.

    Some background info:

    -Will have completed BCT and AIT before attending ROTC
    -Currently PFC
    -Enlisted October 5th 2012 with rank of PFC
    -I currently have enough college credits to be a junior, almost a senior (attended 3.5 years of college prior to taking school off to go to basic/ait)
    -Am currently pursuing a criminal justice degree which should take anywhere from 1.5-2 years to complete (I could stretch out the time if necessary by taking extra courses)
    -AIT mos is 25Q

    Possible goals:

    -change my major to computer science (this may be a source of conflict)
    -do ROTC for the duration I am in college (preferably right after I change my major)
    -depending on the responses and advice given in this thread, commission with the NG as either 1) a recruiting officer or 2) some type of highly technical field (working with computers all day, or supervising etc...something like MI where my computer science degree might come in handy)

    Questions and qualifiers:

    Since I will have completed BCT and AIT by the time I joined ROTC would I just do years 3 and 4 of the regular curriculum?
    If I find out my major will take more than 2 years to complete once I change it (2.5-3?) will I be allowed to do year 2 of the curriculum anyways?
    Would I still have to attend the thing that is basically ROTC BCT at Fort Knox (the 4 week thing)?
    Does ROTC use the 2-2-2 standard APFT or the 1-1-1 (I saw one school that used a form that used 1 minute push-ups, sit-ups, 1 mile run)?
    What are the different levels of commitment you can choose from and what are the specific monetary benefits that come with each level. (ive seen that there are different levels but I can't seem to find any specifics at all)?
    Upon commissioning, do I choose a new MOS or field to work in(I do not want to stay a 25Q)?
    Upon commissioning, do I become an active duty officer or national guard officer?
    If I am a national guard officer, would I be an officer one weekend a month or full-time but with the National Guard?

    I'm also not interested in doing SMP and drilling with my unit while doing ROTC.

  • #2
    Re: ROTC after completing BCT and AIT

    Originally posted by CollegeGuard View Post
    Questions and qualifiers:

    Since I will have completed BCT and AIT by the time I joined ROTC would I just do years 3 and 4 of the regular curriculum? You can, yes. If your degree program will only take 2 years to complete. Otherwise, you'll be stuck around doing MSV duties.
    If I find out my major will take more than 2 years to complete once I change it (2.5-3?) will I be allowed to do year 2 of the curriculum anyways? See above. Note - doing MSV duties is up to your PMS and they are not too keen on that as it ties up a scholarship and jacks up their numbers.
    Would I still have to attend the thing that is basically ROTC BCT at Fort Knox (the 4 week thing)? LDAC. Yes. All commissioning cadets have to complete this event.
    Does ROTC use the 2-2-2 standard APFT or the 1-1-1 (I saw one school that used a form that used 1 minute push-ups, sit-ups, 1 mile run)? The APFT is used across the board for all Army physical training evaluations. A 1-1-1 is usually used as normal PT or to "test" potential recruits.
    What are the different levels of commitment you can choose from and what are the specific monetary benefits that come with each level. (ive seen that there are different levels but I can't seem to find any specifics at all)? What do you mean? If you commission, you will be an O-1 and the pay is either O-1 Active Duty or O-1 Drilling (NG/USAR).
    Upon commissioning, do I choose a new MOS or field to work in (I do not want to stay a 25Q)? Yes and No. You have a wish list but ultimately, it is needs of the Army. The higher you place on the OML, the better your odds of getting what you want. If you go NG (via DedARNG or GRFD), your chances are considerably greater to get what you want.
    Upon commissioning, do I become an active duty officer or national guard officer? See previous answer. The OML determines Active Duty for those that compete for it.
    If I am a national guard officer, would I be an officer one weekend a month or full-time but with the National Guard? You would be an officer, period, in the US Army. You will drill with your NG unit once a month like all other NG/Reservists. Full time (or AGR) is something you have to apply for and it's super competitive and "old boy system" based.

    I'm also not interested in doing SMP and drilling with my unit while doing ROTC.
    Why not? You get paid as an E-5, wear a dot and don't get shafted with all of the PVT/PFC details. Plus, you'll shadow a LT/CPT and learn some invaluable officership.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: ROTC after completing BCT and AIT

      Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
      Why not? You get paid as an E-5, wear a dot and don't get shafted with all of the PVT/PFC details. Plus, you'll shadow a LT/CPT and learn some invaluable officership.
      To be honest I don't really like my MOS so I don't want to go through drilling with that MOS for the next 24 drills, plus if i'm somewhat correct on the amounts of money I would get from ROTC I don't really need the E-5 drill pay but idk... :/

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: ROTC after completing BCT and AIT

        You don't have to SMP into your current enlisted MOS. In fact, some states require that you don't drill with your unit (ie - they have a certain place they want for CDTs).

        As for ROTC, if you get a scholarship, you'll get between 300 - 500 a month stipend depending on your MS year. In addition, you'll get your normal E-3 drill pay when you go to drill. But if you SMP, you'll get E-5.

        So, by your own account, if you *don't* SMP, you'll have to continue to drill with your current unit and get paid less.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: ROTC after completing BCT and AIT

          Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
          You don't have to SMP into your current enlisted MOS. In fact, some states require that you don't drill with your unit (ie - they have a certain place they want for CDTs).

          As for ROTC, if you get a scholarship, you'll get between 300 - 500 a month stipend depending on your MS year. In addition, you'll get your normal E-3 drill pay when you go to drill. But if you SMP, you'll get E-5.

          So, by your own account, if you *don't* SMP, you'll have to continue to drill with your current unit and get paid less.
          From the way I understood it, Unless you go SMP, you will not drill with your guard unit. I also looked up the difference in pay between the E-3 and E-5 for a drill weekend and its $40 so thats not really a big motivator. Now if I understood your first statement correctly, even though I will have my 25Q MOS, if I decided to drill (or had to) it wouldn't necessarily have to be with my 25Q unit or I wouldn't be doing my 25Q job?

          Also, aren't there different allotments/bonuses/stipends for books, tuition,etc...that vary depending on the different commitment levels or did my recruiter just bullshi* about different levels of commitment you could choose?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: ROTC after completing BCT and AIT

            Originally posted by CollegeGuard View Post
            From the way I understood it, Unless you go SMP, you will not drill with your guard unit. I also looked up the difference in pay between the E-3 and E-5 for a drill weekend and its $40 so thats not really a big motivator. Now if I understood your first statement correctly, even though I will have my 25Q MOS, if I decided to drill (or had to) it wouldn't necessarily have to be with my 25Q unit or I wouldn't be doing my 25Q job?

            Also, aren't there different allotments/bonuses/stipends for books, tuition,etc...that vary depending on the different commitment levels or did my recruiter just bullshi* about different levels of commitment you could choose?
            If you don't SMP, you are bound to honor your commitment to your unit (when you enlisted) and drill with them.

            Regardless if you SMP or not, you are going to have to go to monthly drill and summer ATs (Our BN has a very strict policy for cadets - unless you ROTC event is on the same day as drill, you show up to drill). Now, how you want to get paid for that and where you do it at is up to you....

            Once you SMP, you cease to function in your 25Q MOS and begin to operate as a Cadet, doing SMP duties.

            Depends on your state and school of choice. For example, Texas has 4500 per year for State TA. However, most TX state schools either have reduce tuition or waived tuition for people using NG State TA benefits. So, that 4500 goes a long way in terms of books, fees and what not. However, if you got to a private school in Texas (TCU for example), that 4500 will only cover so much and the rest is up to you (and/or Federal TA).

            There are no allotments or bonuses for NG soldiers going to college that I know of (someone may pipe up if their state offers such a beast) and the only other stipend would be the Post 9/11 GI Bill, which is like 300 a month or something (again, someone may pipe up on that too in terms of TIS requirements to draw on that).

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: ROTC after completing BCT and AIT

              Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
              If you don't SMP, you are bound to honor your commitment to your unit (when you enlisted) and drill with them.

              Regardless if you SMP or not, you are going to have to go to monthly drill and summer ATs (Our BN has a very strict policy for cadets - unless you ROTC event is on the same day as drill, you show up to drill). Now, how you want to get paid for that and where you do it at is up to you....

              Once you SMP, you cease to function in your 25Q MOS and begin to operate as a Cadet, doing SMP duties.

              Depends on your state and school of choice. For example, Texas has 4500 per year for State TA. However, most TX state schools either have reduce tuition or waived tuition for people using NG State TA benefits. So, that 4500 goes a long way in terms of books, fees and what not. However, if you got to a private school in Texas (TCU for example), that 4500 will only cover so much and the rest is up to you (and/or Federal TA).

              There are no allotments or bonuses for NG soldiers going to college that I know of (someone may pipe up if their state offers such a beast) and the only other stipend would be the Post 9/11 GI Bill, which is like 300 a month or something (again, someone may pipe up on that too in terms of TIS requirements to draw on that).
              Yikes. The way my recruiter explained it was that once I did ROTC it essentially (not legally but realistically) negated my responsibilities to the guard.

              Sounds like I should do SMP then, because I really don't want my drill weekends to be working on 25Q duties.

              As far as the last two sections, I was talking ROTC specific. I had heard there was money given for books and things of that nature each semester.
              All of the things you mentioned were just things that guard soldiers can recieve: 4500 per year in tuition assistance, 350/month with the Montgomery GI bill. Those things are not related to ROTC as far as I know.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: ROTC after completing BCT and AIT

                Hey,
                I am also looking at doing the ROTC option after Basic and AIT. I spoke with a Colonel at my school about ROTC, it's requirements and benefits- very helpful. That being said, I believe that the ROTC money for school comes in the form of a scholarship. There are 4 year, 3 year and 2 year scholarships. This scholarship is in addition to the national guard tuition assistance and can be used for tuition, books, fees and living expenses. The amount, availability and requirements vary based on how many people are attempting to get the scholarship within a given time frame but it is awarding based on OML. Hope this helps

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: ROTC after completing BCT and AIT

                  Whats OML?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: ROTC after completing BCT and AIT

                    Originally posted by CollegeGuard View Post
                    Whats OML?
                    Order of Merit List

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: ROTC after completing BCT and AIT

                      Originally posted by Mike2K View Post
                      Order of Merit List
                      What would be some factors going into that for me? Or how do you get ranked/points or whatever?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: ROTC after completing BCT and AIT

                        Originally posted by CollegeGuard View Post
                        Yikes. The way my recruiter explained it was that once I did ROTC it essentially (not legally but realistically) negated my responsibilities to the guard.

                        As far as the last two sections, I was talking ROTC specific. I had heard there was money given for books and things of that nature each semester.
                        All of the things you mentioned were just things that guard soldiers can recieve: 4500 per year in tuition assistance, 350/month with the Montgomery GI bill. Those things are not related to ROTC as far as I know.
                        Once you sign the ROTC *contract*, that negates the NG duties... not before though. And you only get the ROTC bennies when you contract with them. By signing a ROTC contract, it basically cancels your NG contract (unless you drop out). However, most people choose to do SMP after contracting in order to get the experience/$$$.

                        Be advised though - simply taking the classes is not contracting in ROTC. Once you contract, you are committed to finishing your degree, on time, and then serving as an officer.

                        Other than the monthly stipend and semester book stipend (no where near enough), there is nothing else from ROTC you get in terms of $$$.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: ROTC after completing BCT and AIT

                          Originally posted by CollegeGuard View Post
                          What would be some factors going into that for me? Or how do you get ranked/points or whatever?
                          GPA and APFT Scores are the biggest percentages. Starting with your MS3 year, "Blue Cards" (leadership evaluations) factor in. After you go to LDAC, that evaluation will factor into it as well.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: ROTC after completing BCT and AIT

                            Originally posted by CollegeGuard View Post
                            What would be some factors going into that for me? Or how do you get ranked/points or whatever?
                            Evaluations, scores on FTX activities (ie - Land Nav, blue card evals), APFT, GPA, LDAC ranking, whether or not the PMS likes you (not kidding... they get a section to assign points), extracurriculars and the like..

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: ROTC after completing BCT and AIT

                              So since I'm joining at year 3 without years 1 and 2 I would be unlikely to get a scholarship because I won't have most of those things that give you "points"? Does me completing BCT/AIT, and my ASVAB count for anything pointwise?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X