Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ROTC after completing BCT and AIT

Originally posted by CollegeGuard View Post
    So since I'm joining at year 3 without years 1 and 2 I would be unlikely to get a scholarship because I won't have most of those things that give you "points"? Does me completing BCT/AIT, and my ASVAB count for anything pointwise?
    No, the points on the OML come from your MSIII year plus extra-currics.

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeGuard View Post
      So since I'm joining at year 3 without years 1 and 2 I would be unlikely to get a scholarship because I won't have most of those things that give you "points"? Does me completing BCT/AIT, and my ASVAB count for anything pointwise?
      OML doesn't factor into a Scholarship.

Comment

I'm a National Guard PFC as well, going through ROTC in Oregon. Let me answer your questions as it pertains to my university

Since I will have completed BCT and AIT by the time I joined ROTC would I just do years 3 and 4 of the regular curriculum?
        I honestly don't know. All of our ROTC cadets are prior enlisted, but none of them have prior college. Sorry. My guess is that you start out MS1

If I find out my major will take more than 2 years to complete once I change it (2.5-3?) will I be allowed to do year 2 of the curriculum anyways?
        I believe what this is asking is "if my major requires an extra year will I do ROTC another year?" and the answer is yes. We have 3 cadets that are MS5's and don't do much but are still in the program and still have responsibilities because their majors require an extra year.

Would I still have to attend the thing that is basically ROTC BCT at Fort Knox (the 4 week thing)?
        If you're referring to BOLC (Basic Officer's Leadership Course), then yes.

Does ROTC use the 2-2-2 standard APFT or the 1-1-1 (I saw one school that used a form that used 1 minute push-ups, sit-ups, 1 mile run)?
        Our program uses the 2-2-2

What are the different levels of commitment you can choose from and what are the specific monetary benefits that come with each level?
        As a 1st year cadet, you really only look at what the MS2's and 3's are doing so you'll be better prepared later. As an MS1, you're pretty much a private (to teach officers what it is to be that low). For a monthly stipend, MS1=$300, MS2=$350, MS3=$400, MS4=$450, MS5=$500. As an MS2 and MS3 you'll act as a team leader, MS3 will be squad leaders, MS4 is company commander/XO/1SG, and MS5 is the overseer of everything. My university has a MASSIVE Service-To-Country scholarship, and the ROTC unit also pays for my housing, $1300/month. These last two options are NOT UNIVERSAL and you should NOT EXPECT THESE BENEFITS AS THEY ARE UNIQUE TO MY SCHOOL. But there IS a good possibility of your school having some good military benefits. Also, don't forget about the GI bill!

Upon commissioning, do I choose a new MOS or field to work in(I do not want to stay a 25Q)?
        You can choose a new branch, yes. We have our commissioning ceremony tomorrow and one of the commissioning cadets is going from Infantry to Quartermaster. I'm planning on going from the Armor (I'm a 19k) to a Combat Support Branch

Upon commissioning, do I become an active duty officer or national guard officer?
        You choose between Army and Guard. By Army I refer to both Active AND Reserve. If you choose the Army portion and your grades aren't superior, APFT isn't that high, etc. then you'll go Reserve. If you choose Guard, you're going Guard. There are no active duty officer positions below brigade CO.

If I am a national guard officer, would I be an officer one weekend a month or full-time but with the National Guard?
        I don't know of any NG officers below Brigade CO that are full-time. But maybe there are, depending on what branch you go into. Don't count on it.

I'm also not interested in doing SMP and drilling with my unit while doing ROTC.
        Suck it up, buttercup. You'll wear your PFC rank until you contract with ROTC (usually after 1 year) then you'll wear an R.O.T.C. rank on your chest and cap, and spend more time with your PLs, XO, and CO to get the hang of what they do (at drill). Then, when you commission, your Guard contract is broken and your new contract begins.

Comment

Working...
        X