Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sifting through my options here.

Alright so here's the scenario,

I'm looking to be a part time officer, either reserves or Guard. I'm going to be 27 when I graduate from TCU. I served 5 years in the US Navy as an MA (see "MP") and made E-5 before heading off to school with an honorable discharge. I don't want to do ROTC because I'm already using my GI Bill so I'm aiming for OCS. Is there availability in the Intelligence/PsyOps/Civil Affairs fields for new O's? The Navy and Air Force are pretty much strictly looking for Engineers and Pilots. I'll be graduating with a 3.55 GPA with B.A. in Sociology, minor in Philosophy. I would love to parlay some possible education benefits into Law School and be a JAG Officer on Active Duty. Thanks guys.

Re: Sifting through my options here.

What relevance does ROTC have to the GI Bill? If you're already at college full-time, I strongly recommend ROTC.

Psyops and Civil Affairs are small career fields, and are non-accession branches (meaning that you can't get into them until you've done some years in the conventional force). Intel is also a small career field, and has limited opportunities for new lieutenants.

If your goal is JAG anyway, then perhaps a more conventional assignment is appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by bmason002 View Post

I'm looking to be a part time officer, either reserves or Guard. I'm going to be 27 when I graduate from TCU. I served 5 years in the US Navy as an MA (see "MP") and made E-5 before heading off to school with an honorable discharge. I don't want to do ROTC because I'm already using my GI Bill so I'm aiming for OCS. Is there availability in the Intelligence/PsyOps/Civil Affairs fields for new O's? The Navy and Air Force are pretty much strictly looking for Engineers and Pilots. I'll be graduating with a 3.55 GPA with B.A. in Sociology, minor in Philosophy. I would love to parlay some possible education benefits into Law School and be a JAG Officer on Active Duty. Thanks guys.
      These are conflicting career goals. I understand wanting to join the Guard to utilize more education benefits, but if your end goal is AD then you just need to go AD. It's been discussed at length on these boards how difficult (and near impossible in today's environment) it is for officers to make the switch.

Comment

How far along in school are you? Reason being, OCS versus ROTC will get you to your end state utilizing diffrent paths.

For this thread, I will assume that you are either a Jr or Sr in college and looking to do OCS.

PsyOps and Civil Affairs are mainly Reserves in terms of who does it (*not all, but mainly). If that is your 50 meter target, you'll need to get in touch with a Reserve Recruiter and look into FOCS and branch accordingly. However, note that branch assignments are bot chosen by the new LT, but are slotted according to the OCS OML. If you ultimate end-state is Active Duty, don't bother with the NG or USAR and just enlist in the AD as a OCS Candidate and go from there..... Same thing applies for branching.

Comment

How far along in school are you? Reason being, OCS versus ROTC will get you to your end state utilizing diffrent paths.

For this thread, I will assume that you are either a Jr or Sr in college and looking to do OCS.

PsyOps and Civil Affairs are mainly Reserves in terms of who does it (*not all, but mainly). If that is your 50 meter target, you'll need to get in touch with a Reserve Recruiter and look into FOCS and branch accordingly. However, note that branch assignments are bot chosen by the new LT, but are slotted according to the OCS OML. If you ultimate end-state is Active Duty, don't bother with the NG or USAR and just enlist in the AD as a OCS Candidate and go from there..... Same thing applies for branching.

Comment

Working...
          X