Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Translating Professional Experience to the National Guard?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Translating Professional Experience to the National Guard?

Hi all,

I am currently a 31-yr old professional environmental manager (most of my experience relates to alternative fuels and air quality) with a Master's Degree thinking of joining the Guard.

I know that the military is involved in sustainability issues, and although I'm not necessarily wanting or expecting to do the same type of work in the Guard that I do as a professional, I realize that it's possible that I'll end there up just because it's something I'm familiar with and good at. My question is, if I were to end up in some kind of military equivalent of my current job, would that make me an officer? If so, what type of officer would I be?

Thanks!

Re: Translating Professional Experience to the National Guard?

What is your military equivalent? And only specific degrees leads to direct commissions (e.g. law, medical/nurse, chaplain).

Have you spoke to a recruiter about going OCS?

Comment

Contact your State Officer Strength Manager for details

Comment

Thanks for your feedback so far.

What is a State Officer Strength Manager?? I'm assuming this is different than a recruiter?

Haven't yet spoken with a recruiter - just trying to get a general picture of what my life in the Guard might look like before I dive into details. I know my degree wouldn't automatically get me a commission or anything, but I guess more basically, if I became an officer, would this fall under the category of a branch officer (and if so, of what variety?) or warrant officer (and again, if so, of what variety?). Just trying to figure out where I could end up in the organizational chart, so to speak.

As to what the military equivalent of my job might be, I guess I'm not entirely sure. My current job is basically a blend of public administration (contract/project/grant management, data tracking, policy/program analysis and development, etc.) and environmental science (calculating air pollution benefits, utilizing EPA models, educating stakeholders about alternative fuel vehicles and advanced vehicle technologies, etc.). I also have supervisory experience too, if that makes a difference.

Comment

Here is a list of Warrant Officer jobs and it takes some time before you are qualified to put in for a technical warrant position. Average time is five years after making Sergeant (E-5), where the majority that are selected are E-6/E-7. Also, becoming an officer gives no guarantee of working in an MOS that will be your main desire.

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warran...info_mos.shtml
          Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; May 17th, 2013, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X