X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropping ROTC Scholarship

I currently have the 2year dedicated guard scholarship of which I've received payments for two semesters. I was wondering if it would be possible to drop my scholarship but still remain a contracted cadet. I have no problem paying the money back if that's what needs to happen, but if possible what all would be needed to facilitate this process? My reason for asking is because I would rather go active or reserve instead of guard when I commission.

Re: Dropping ROTC Scholarship

Simple answer, No. When you signed the GRFD, you committed to serving in the NG or USAR upon commission. If you decide to drop, there is a clause in your contract that requires you to pay it back either through $$$ or service as an enlisted soldier.

I don't get why you don't just go Reserves if that is what you want? The GRFD is for either NG or Reserves, your choice. If you want to go to Reserves, go fine a unit, get an LOA and turn it in to your schools HR Admin. Too easy.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
      I don't get why you don't just go Reserves if that is what you want? The GRFD is for either NG or Reserves, your choice. If you want to go to Reserves, go fine a unit, get an LOA and turn it in to your schools HR Admin. Too easy.
      I read his message to understand that he doesn't have the GRFD scholarship, he has the DedARNG scholarship. The former allows ARNG or USAR service, whereas the latter allows only ARNG service.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
        I read his message to understand that he doesn't have the GRFD scholarship, he has the DedARNG scholarship. The former allows ARNG or USAR service, whereas the latter allows only ARNG service.
        Whoops. My apologies. I mis-read that. The DedARNG is a tad uncommon comparitively and I didn't associate it with the OP....

Comment

Working...
        X