X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infantry, Combat Engineer, MP slots for Ohio

I just called the Officer Strength Manager for Ohio and was told that they currently do not have any openings for Infantry, Combat Engineer, & MP. I am in my sixth week at OCS and I am really wanting to go Infantry. Is it hard to get open slots for these branches ? I am wanting to attend as many schools as I can such as Air Assault, Airborne, Ranger, and Mountain Warfare schools, and I am guessing my best chance would be to go Infantry or Combat Engineer. I have the SLRP in my contract so I definitely want to keep that and perform a job that I would be interesting in doing. I was told that as of now the only things available were Transportation, Ordinance, & Field Artillery in Ohio. I know things can change from now up to the point when I graduate OCS, so I was just wondering what the likelihood of getting one of these branches would be. Thanks for the help.

Re: Infantry, Combat Engineer, MP slots for Ohio

Well, you are at a distinct disadvantage for several reasons. A) OCS graduates are branched based on the needs of your state. Yes, you fill out a "wish list" but you do not have the power to go and get your own LOA from a unit and branch. B) If your state only has X, X and X open for 2LT positions, guess what? You are going to branch X, X or X. Your OSM is going to know what is available so there is really no need to harass him/her, trying to get a slot that is not available. C) If available, Combat Arms such as IN, are very competitive. To be considered, you have to rock it on the OCS OML. If you are a mid-range candidate and only do so-so, you're not going to get it.

That being said, you have limited options but do this. A) Whoop everyone's butt at OCS. Rock the APFT, get E's on everything and what-not. B) Inquire into neighboring states. It is possible to commission from one OCS source and transfer to another state upon pinning. It's going to take some legwork on your part, but if you did "A", then a neighboring state will be willing to work with you to get it done... and hopefully get your branch.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
      Well, you are at a distinct disadvantage for several reasons. A) OCS graduates are branched based on the needs of your state. Yes, you fill out a "wish list" but you do not have the power to go and get your own LOA from a unit and branch. B) If your state only has X, X and X open for 2LT positions, guess what? You are going to branch X, X or X. Your OSM is going to know what is available so there is really no need to harass him/her, trying to get a slot that is not available. C) If available, Combat Arms such as IN, are very competitive. To be considered, you have to rock it on the OCS OML. If you are a mid-range candidate and only do so-so, you're not going to get it.

That being said, you have limited options but do this. A) Whoop everyone's butt at OCS. Rock the APFT, get E's on everything and what-not. B) Inquire into neighboring states. It is possible to commission from one OCS source and transfer to another state upon pinning. It's going to take some legwork on your part, but if you did "A", then a neighboring state will be willing to work with you to get it done... and hopefully get your branch.
      The part in bold does not actually apply to every state. It is the norm, but some states actually do it where IOT go to OCS you must first get an LOA and be accepted by that unit commander before they'll send you off to become an officer. AL is one that comes to mind, especially when enlisting as 09S.

Comment

I went to OCS with a guy in Ohio NG who still did not have a branch/unit when we commissioned.

Comment

Originally posted by enceladus View Post
          I went to OCS with a guy in Ohio NG who still did not have a branch/unit when we commissioned.
          Thanks OC, I should have clarified. I usually put a "*" statement but didn't this time. Thanks for the catch.

I have a buddy of mine who commission with me back in May 2012 who is *still* not branched/slotted. He is danger close to getting administratively separated. He was playing the back and forth game with the NG and USAR right before we commissioned and ended up getting shanked by both...

Comment

Working...
          X