Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not going OCS?

Hello everyone;

Just got back from BCT and I enlisted as in as O.C.S. I'm a bit older at 31, and after BCT I think I'd prefer to just go through AIT in something I have a bit more control over. My question is do I get to choose what AIT I go through if I withdraw from the O.C.S.? The time lines are also not a good fit now that I know more about O.C.S. than before I joined and with a family and trying to find a Fulltime position in Law Enforcement I feel that going an AIT route will be my best bet.

Anyone have anything I should need to know before I make a phone call tomorrow?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Not going OCS?

Originally posted by kilun View Post
    Hello everyone;

Just got back from BCT and I enlisted as in as O.C.S. I'm a bit older at 31, and after BCT I think I'd prefer to just go through AIT in something I have a bit more control over. My question is do I get to choose what AIT I go through if I withdraw from the O.C.S.? The time lines are also not a good fit now that I know more about O.C.S. than before I joined and with a family and trying to find a Fulltime position in Law Enforcement I feel that going an AIT route will be my best bet.

Thanks in advance.
    So you just got back right? Have you been handed off to your state's RTI (OCS training company) yet?

Do you know if your state planned on sending you right into Pre-Phase/Phase 0 so you could make Phase I this summer? I've seen guys fall in on OCS this late in the game so it's quite possible. If that's the case, then YES you should be notifying someone in your cadre and/or your recruiter right away.

The whole "choose what AIT I go through" is not a done deal. With 09S it is tomato to-mahto. Some state's might let you choose an MOS within the open availabilities, some may stick you with what you signed up for (more shortly), and some may just separate you. With the fiscal uncertantities and what-not, not every state is going to want to hold on to soldiers who drop OCS. I've seen it go all 3 ways depending on the individual.

Back to the stick you with what you singed up for. Technically, when you enlisted as 09S you also had a back-up MOS. 09S don't just float in the air typically, so your slot belongs to some unit in your state and there is an MOS assigned to it. In other words, you are occupying space on some unit's roster but you don't really belong to them at this point. What I've seen happen more often than not is the slot they choose for you (if you didn't pick your back-up yourself) is a critical-need MOS that the state may have trouble filling, and if you drop or fail OCS then you have two options: be separated from the Guard or go to AIT for that MOS.

This back-up MOS doesn't typically appear on your contract and it's going to say 09S, but the unit your slot belongs to does show up (DD 1966 is one place). You should also be able to log into AKO and see what that MOS is under "My Account >Account Information." You don't really become a 09S in the system until you've been attached to your state's RTI and promoted to E-6 for the duration of OCS (typically only done RIGHT before shipping to Phase I).

Anyway like I stated before, this isn't cut and dry and varies by state. Call someone TODAY and figure out what your options are.

Comment

My unit had an 09S that decided not to go to OCS. Since he was occupying a slot on my UMR, he went to 12B school and filled one of my 10 level vacancies. It was actually pretty easy to make it happen once he decided he didn't want to be an officer.

Comment

Hello everyone;

Thanks in advance.
        Your contract and the needs of the Army are going to dictate what happens to you if you decide to not pursue OCS. Be mentally prepared to get a MOS that you may not want or be separated all together. If you look on your contract, you will see who technically owns you. You may want to give them a call first (before your RTI) to get their feelings on the matter...

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies. After getting with my recruiter this morning, I do not have a backup MOS (Listed as an 09B) and I will be able to withdrawal from OCS and choose a different AIT of my choice I was informed. Thanks for the information everyone.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies. After getting with my recruiter this morning, I do not have a backup MOS (Listed as an 09B) and I will be able to withdrawal from OCS and choose a different AIT of my choice I was informed. Thanks for the information everyone.
            Good Luck OP.

Comment

Working...
            X