X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOLC - POV OR COMMERCIAL AIR

I'm attending BOLC-B in Fort Leonard, MO soon, however I live in Orlando, FL. I'm not sure which option would be cost efficient driving my POV or booking a flight? I've heard that it can be challenging without a POV while attending. (In reference to what I would have to pay out of pocket/and what the Army may re-emburse me for via travel pay.)

Side note, I'm in the process of applying for a government spending card through my unit.
    Thanks in advance,

LT JARJ

Re: BOLC - POV OR COMMERCIAL AIR

Originally posted by LT_JARJ View Post
    I'm attending BOLC-B in Fort Leonard, MO soon, however I live in Orlando, FL. I'm not sure which option would be cost efficient driving my POV or booking a flight? I've heard that it can be challenging without a POV while attending. (In reference to what I would have to pay out of pocket/and what the Army may re-emburse me for via travel pay.)

Side note, I'm in the process of applying for a government spending card through my unit.
    Thanks in advance,

LT JARJ
    POV, without a doubt. Those LTs who do not have a POV end up bumming rides off people ALL THE TIME and get treated like step-kids. Your state will pay for the cheapest way to get there, but in my entire class, not one person didn't drive. I can't see the state making you fly.... BOLC is long and having a vehicle is pretty crucial.

Out of pocket with a POV, you'll get "in and around" miles daily based on the FLW policy. In addition, when you setup your travel in DTS for driving, it'll precalculate the miles for you and pay based off that.

Comment

Drive.

Comment

Drive, even if it means paying out of pocket some.

Comment

Drive

Comment

Another vote for drive. Trust me, you'll want your vehicle there, if only so you can get off post every once in a while on the weekends.

Comment

I'm not even done with AOCS and I know I'm driving to BOLC

Comment

Drive. I drove from Arizona to Georgia and paid out of pocket for it, but it was priceless.

As was stated earlier, gov't will do what cheaper. So if flying is cheaper then that is what they will recommend. Then when you drive they will reimburse you up to the cost of the plane ticket. For me the cost of a round trip ticket would have been around $650 (lets say for arguments sake). So when I said I was driving they gave me a check for $650. That barely covered the gas getting there, not to mention food, hotel and getting home 16wks leater. But it was worth every penny.

I had a lot of friends that that didn't drive and they were always either stuck on base or going to the places their friends went. Not a position you want to be in for months.

Comment

Drive. I drove from Iowa to Arizona for BOLC, no regrets!

Comment

DRIVE, I went to FLW and we had a guy that didn't have a POV. As mentioned he constantly had to bum a ride every morning to get to PT, or the company area. Plus his ride "forgot him" once and the entire class paid for it. Don't be that guy.

Comment

Working...
                    X