X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOLC options?

I am a student currently. I should have 90 credit hours at the end of this semester to enlist under the O9s designation so I have a lot of time to think about BOLC and the smartest options after OCS. So basically what my question is: Is there really any control over where you end up going to for BOLC? For instance if I'm top of my class (is there "top of the class"?) do I get preference or is it mostly based off of your state's needs? (I understand that if the state doesn't need a designation it doesn't need it but is it just a numbers game or does performance play a roll?) Or do you need to get friendly with the higher ups for referrals? Any input on how this process works would be great. This honestly seems like an annoying question reading it back to myself but I'm just trying to figure out if I should get my hopes up to end up somewhere specific. I understand you pick your top three but I know you aren't guaranteed anything. I come from a military family and have wanted to serve my entire life so don't mistake this post for some college brat looking to get his way. I'm just trying to gauge where my head should be walking into this and get a little more clarity on this process. Thank you all for your time.

Re: BOLC options?

Ultimately, your assignment is a function of the needs of your State. Not all states have all types of assignments, and at any given time not all of those positions have vacancies.

In practice, the needs of the state don't necessarily conflict with your preferences. While I don't know your state, or its personnel situation, I can state that National Guardsmen as a group have far more influence over their own assignments than our colleagues on active duty.

As a practical matter, the top performers tend to get preference, particularly for competitive assignments (e.g., Aviation branch). Odds play a large part. If your State has three Infantry battalions and you want to be an Infantry officer, you've probably got a good shot. If you want to be a Finance officer and there are no Finance lieutenant slots, then that simply won't happen.

You've also got to look realistically at the geography. You could get your dream assignment only to find that it's a six-hour drive each way. You may be happier with your #2 choice an hour away.

Thus, develop a list of priorities not only for branch, but also for other factors such as driving distance. Then, do your best at OCS. Then, engage your OCS chain of command on the topic, and ask for specific counseling on your preferences.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny5798 View Post
      I am a student currently. I should have 90 credit hours at the end of this semester to enlist under the O9s designation so I have a lot of time to think about BOLC and the smartest options after OCS. So basically what my question is: Is there really any control over where you end up going to for BOLC? For instance if I'm top of my class (is there "top of the class"?) do I get preference or is it mostly based off of your state's needs? (I understand that if the state doesn't need a designation it doesn't need it but is it just a numbers game or does performance play a roll?) Or do you need to get friendly with the higher ups for referrals? Any input on how this process works would be great. This honestly seems like an annoying question reading it back to myself but I'm just trying to figure out if I should get my hopes up to end up somewhere specific. I understand you pick your top three but I know you aren't guaranteed anything. I come from a military family and have wanted to serve my entire life so don't mistake this post for some college brat looking to get his way. I'm just trying to gauge where my head should be walking into this and get a little more clarity on this process. Thank you all for your time.

Listen. No. I mean--really--listen.

The first thing you need to do is finish your degree. Forget about everything else until you finish your degree. After you graduate, then dive in head first. But while you're matriculating you can dig deep and study up on everything you need to know. First, click on the link below and search through the commissioned officer MOS descriptions. Next click on the subsequent ATRRS link of all the officer AOC course officerings, requirements, prerequisites, etc. Research, research, research.

Comment

The LTC and the OC both offer very good advice. While you can commission with 90 hours (as far as I know, that's still how it is anyway), you need to have your degree finished by the time you're eligible to make Captain.

In short, it really depends on your state, as all states have different needs, and different circumstances.

In my experience in Texas, they try to fit your preferences in with the needs of the state and your geographic location in relation to officer vacancies. In smaller states, geography isn't as big a deal as it is in the larger ones, so you'll have to take that into account depending on where you live.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
          Ultimately, your assignment is a function of the needs of your State. Not all states have all types of assignments, and at any given time not all of those positions have vacancies.

In practice, the needs of the state don't necessarily conflict with your preferences. While I don't know your state, or its personnel situation, I can state that National Guardsmen as a group have far more influence over their own assignments than our colleagues on active duty.

As a practical matter, the top performers tend to get preference, particularly for competitive assignments (e.g., Aviation branch). Odds play a large part. If your State has three Infantry battalions and you want to be an Infantry officer, you've probably got a good shot. If you want to be a Finance officer and there are no Finance lieutenant slots, then that simply won't happen.

You've also got to look realistically at the geography. You could get your dream assignment only to find that it's a six-hour drive each way. You may be happier with your #2 choice an hour away.

Thus, develop a list of priorities not only for branch, but also for other factors such as driving distance. Then, do your best at OCS. Then, engage your OCS chain of command on the topic, and ask for specific counseling on your preferences.
          All of this above.

I'm assuming you are non-prior service, so you will likely end up the Traditional route if you enlist for OCS. This will give you time to not only continue to complete your degree while you do the program, but it will also give you more time to get a grasp of what your state has to offer for branches and assignments. It will also give you time to really try and excell in your class which will give you a leg up on your fellow classmates when it comes time for branch selection. Branch selection in Traditional typically doesn't happen until you are over half-way through Phase II, and sometimes more towards the end.

Most states will try to fit in your preferences, but if they have slots burning a hole in their pockets they are also going to try and fill those first (i.e. needs of the stae). You have your best shot for what YOU want if you constantly strive to be top of your class.

Comment

All three comments above are good advice.

Finish up your education first and then go from there. This question has been posed before and the advice is always the same - Go to OCS, rock out like a rock star in everything and try to earn that top slot on the OML. That way, your preference will be included. Look into what your state offers and make friendly with the units you may go to.

Something that wasn't mentioned in this thread is the ROTC option. I bring it up because ROTC is the only way, as it stands now, for an OC to actually choose their own branch/unit assignment without having to compete on the OML for the state. PM me if you want more info on that....

Comment

Working...
            X