X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer RSP, traditional ocs, prior service, and beyond

So I know the title seems like a lot of different topics, but I just want to get some third party verification of what I am being told by my recruiter.

I am a prior service Marine infantry man 2002-2006. Deployments to Cuba, Africa, and Afghanistan. E-4 at discharge. I now hold a B.A.S. in public Safety Administration and I am planning on going for a spot in traditional OCS. I am located in south FL and I guess I just missed out on traditional OCS for this year. My recruiter told me that I could go ahead and sign up and start drilling with RSP until I start OCS next year if I am accepted, getting paid as an E4. I have a couple of question however.

1. Is there any consideration given to prior service or officer applicants during RSP or am I on equal footing with an individual fresh out of high school? No big deal if that's the case I just want to know what I'm looking forward to until OCS starts.
    2. Can I be in RSP for that long with no AT's? Coming from being active I'm pretty clueless on the whole part time gig.

3. Not to put the cart before the horse but after graduating OCS would I be able to have my wife and children visit at BOLC? Just curious.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Re: Officer RSP, traditional ocs, prior service, and beyond

Originally posted by Teg View Post
    So I know the title seems like a lot of different topics, but I just want to get some third party verification of what I am being told by my recruiter.

I am a prior service Marine infantry man 2002-2006. Deployments to Cuba, Africa, and Afghanistan. E-4 at discharge. I now hold a B.A.S. in public Safety Administration and I am planning on going for a spot in traditional OCS. I am located in south FL and I guess I just missed out on traditional OCS for this year. My recruiter told me that I could go ahead and sign up and start drilling with RSP until I start OCS next year if I am accepted, getting paid as an E4. I have a couple of question however.

1. Is there any consideration given to prior service or officer applicants during RSP or am I on equal footing with an individual fresh out of high school? No big deal if that's the case I just want to know what I'm looking forward to until OCS starts.
    2. Can I be in RSP for that long with no AT's? Coming from being active I'm pretty clueless on the whole part time gig.

3. Not to put the cart before the horse but after graduating OCS would I be able to have my wife and children visit at BOLC? Just curious.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

ok ../////////

Comment

hi

Comment

1- Depends on how your state handles RSP, some states will have all of the 09S drill with the RTI, while others will have you drill with the normal RSP unit. I would prepare to be ready to step up early and often.
        2- Again depends on the state, I had a two week AT during phase 0.
        3- Yes, but depending on your branch you could be extremely busy or constantly in the field.

Comment

[QUOTE=Teg;182545]So I know the title seems like a lot of different topics, but I just want to get some third party verification of what I am being told by my recruiter.

I can only speak for myself, but when I was in RSP prior to OCS, I was cadre. Taught classes ect ect. I was in similar situation as you. Since your prior service, you'll definitely get respect.

Yeah you can, something important during this time will be staying motivated.
          You should see if it's possible to go OCS Still, I believe it's still 0phase for most states.

Yes they can.

Hope these comments helped you. I've been through something similar.

Comment

OP, I wouldn't settle for the "Well, Traditional is closed so wait a year" line. There is AOCS and Federal available to use as well. Speak with your recruiter, the OSM and what not. Ask about them and see if you can score a slot...

1. Is there any consideration given to prior service or officer applicants during RSP or am I on equal footing with an individual fresh out of high school? No big deal if that's the case I just want to know what I'm looking forward to until OCS starts. You are prior service, so they will be looking to you to help wrangle the kids in, not be jacked up, etc.

2. Can I be in RSP for that long with no AT's? Coming from being active I'm pretty clueless on the whole part time gig. If you are assigned to an RSP unit, odds of an acutual AT are low b/c ATs cost a lot of money and there is no reason to have non-MOSQ'd soldiers doing AT. If you get assigned to a unit to drill with, enjoy the 2 weeks of pay...!

3. Not to put the cart before the horse but after graduating OCS would I be able to have my wife and children visit at BOLC? Just curious. Depends on your BOLC. It's usually considered unaccompanied but there are ways around it if you are willing to spend the $$$

Comment

Thanks for the response everyone. I tried contacting the OSM for FL today a few times. The phone just rang and never went to voicemail. I will try again tomorrow and see if my recruiter will put me in touch with him. He already admitted to not really knowing what things are like after I start OCS so hopefully he won't take offense

Marine2Guard I'd like to hear your thoughts on OCS in comparison to Marine training.

Comment

Since you'd be really assigned to a unit, you still could do AT. It would be a home station AT and maybe only 9 days or so. I'd recommend you ask and get an AT along with drills as you maybe able to have a good year still for retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Teg View Post
                  Marine2Guard I'd like to hear your thoughts on OCS in comparison to Marine training.
                  OCS is very similiar to Bootcamp, high levels of stress, no outside contact, and physically demanding. I will say that OCS has a little more self inflicted stress as you will obviously be required to take charge, along with sleep deprivation (you will average 4 or 5 hours a night max). Depending on your state they may give you additional projects to perform on your personnal time.

Comment

Working...
                  X