X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can 09S go IRR?

I' m an 09S in Texas, and should be starting my local police academy the first week of May. My platoon sergeant recommended I try for IRR if I got accepted to the PD, but now I'm wondering if it is even possible to go IRR since I technically don't have an MOS.

Also, I am aware of a time limit of 2 years for 09S to start OCS. Is this 2 years from when I swore in (Sep 2011) or 2 years from when I graduated BCT (Mar 2012)?

Re: Can 09S go IRR?

Your unit will remove you from 09S and put you back at your old MOS and grade before moving you. I recommend requesting a year in the ING, rather than the IRR, because it's far less paperwork to change your status.

If you enlisted as a 09S and have no MOS, then likely you'll face an uncharacterized discharge, which may increase your difficulty to (1) get back into military service, and (2) get back into OCS.

Comment

Originally posted by TwinTurbo View Post
      I' m an 09S in Texas, and should be starting my local police academy the first week of May. My platoon sergeant recommended I try for IRR if I got accepted to the PD, but now I'm wondering if it is even possible to go IRR since I technically don't have an MOS.

Also, I am aware of a time limit of 2 years for 09S to start OCS. Is this 2 years from when I swore in (Sep 2011) or 2 years from when I graduated BCT (Mar 2012)?
      I'm in Texas and I can tell you, if you decide to not pursue OCS at this time (due to whatever reason), you will be separated. The powers that be won't allow you to go IRR or ING from an 09S. I've seen it happen to several people who did not make the 2 year mark or those who thought they'd be better off as E-4s.

The 2 years is from the time you swore in. You only have to be enrolled in Phase 1 to make the cutoff.

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
        I'm in Texas and I can tell you, if you decide to not pursue OCS at this time (due to whatever reason), you will be separated. The powers that be won't allow you to go IRR or ING from an 09S. I've seen it happen to several people who did not make the 2 year mark or those who thought they'd be better off as E-4s.

The 2 years is from the time you swore in. You only have to be enrolled in Phase 1 to make the cutoff.
        +1. Why run for President, if you do not want to be President? You should just withdraw from the beginning.

Comment

If you're going to start the program just to drop it mid-stream, just do yourself a favor and just drop now. You'll save yourself and your fellow candidates a lot of trouble up front.

Comment

Gentlemen, thank you for your replies. The police academy is around 34 weeks in length, and like OCS requires 100% attendance, hence I would not be able to make phase 1 this summer. That is why I did not start phase 0 this March. This was not a matter of wanting out, I just wanted to get an idea of what my options were.

Comment

Looking at your timeframe, can you start the Phase 1 for next year and make it through your 2 year limit? If not, you'd might want to start the process of figuring your options or else things can get rather ugly.... as in, never going to OCS again.

09S guarantees you a slot in OCS as long as you meet the pre-reqs. If you drop out before you begin, you can never be a 09S again. If you wanted to go to OCS in the future, you'd have some personality hurdles (if you cause them issues by not leaving now) and odds are, you won't go. I know the cadre down at Camp Swift and how they do things. Bowing out gracefully before you begin the process is your best option if you want to try again in the future.

(Note: "Future" means you'll be an E-4 or whatever, going before the OCS board and having them give you a GO or NO GO)

Comment

Working...
              X