Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q: After BCT, how long to wait for OCS?

Hello everyone,

I am in the Minnesota-ARNG. I joined as a SPC 09s with the plan to attend OCS after my BCT this summer at Fort Sill. The Sergeant Recruiter didn't tell me the specific time frame for the transition between BCT and OCS. I really don't want to stay in RSP for too long because I really want to get commission quickly.

I mentioned the Federal and Accelerated OCS program, but the Sergeants explained to me that it is very hard to find a spot in these programs. I really need someone with more insight experience to tell me what to expect after BCT.

Thank you so much in advance.

Re: Q: After BCT, how long to wait for OCS?

What date is your BCT scheduled to end?

The normal timeframe is to come back from BCT, check in with your "unit" (ie - the ones who own you when you enlisted) and drill with them until your Phase 1 report date (Usually late Spring, early Summer - May to Jun'ish).

Now, a majority of the states have an OCS - Phase 0 program in place. You'd drill with them at your state's RTI (Texas is Camp Swift) versus your home unit and prepare for OCS. You'll do APFTs, Land Nav and paperwork verification. Phase 0 usually stars in January and you'll get orders attaching you to them for the duration of OCS.

Now, in Texas (and this may/is probably different in Minnesota), we are slotted a few number of AOCS and even fewer Fed OCS spots yearly. The cadre at Phase 0 *usually* decide who to send where (whether it be AOCS, Trad OCS or Fed OCS) based on the performances in Phase 0 (plus any age issues... like those OCs who are rapidly approaching the age limit).

A good, high APFT (270+), clean paperwork (no waivers, issues) and rocking it on Land Nav is more than likely going to be your ticket to AOCS.

Hopefully, a Minnesota OC or grad will chime in.

Comment

It depends on which OCS program you end up getting in. Federal classes start ever few weeks, year-round, but those slots may be out of reach. Accelerated programs are typicaly run twice a year, winter and summer. Most states only start one traditional class a year, usual during the summer. So, it'll depend on what program you get in as far as when your OCS will start.

You most likely won't be in RSP but once or twice after BCT, you'll probably begin drilling with the state RTI or whatever unit runs the OCS program there. Most people call this Phase 0. They typically prepare you for OCS during these drills.

Comment

Thank you so much for your response Sir. I understood

Comment

Timing is also crucial. With Federal OCS you aren't really limited, though as it's been said that is very hard to get as NG. As I understand it you basically have to have it in your contract when you enlist (in the case of 09S anyway). Otherwise Traditional (most likely) or Accelerated are going to be your options.

Just to frame it for you, I went to BCT in October and graduated the follwing January and I never went back to RSP. I was handed off to my state's R&R BN which was running an Officer Candidate Orientation Program (OCOP) that prepped us to be handed off to the RTI. Some state's have a specific RSP-O set up for Officer Candidates that is for the same purpose, to get you administratively prepared for OCS (gear, paperwork, etc.). Either way you'll have a place that puts you in a holding pattern until Pre-Phase/Phase 0 starts.

Traditional and AOCS typically follow the same time pattern each year with Phase 0/Pre-Phase drills beginning in March or April with Phase I kicking off in June. Phase 0 is "technically" not required we had some candidates fall in with us literally as we were getting ready to ship off to Phase I. Talk about a shock to their system.

You're Non-Prior Service so likelihood of getting Accelerated OCS (8-week fast track) is probably more slim, though it "is" possible. They run a Winter AOCS at AMA in the February-March timeframe each year so depending on when you graduate BCT that "could" be an option. It is up to each state's RTI on which route you go really. If you're attending BCT this summer you will likely be sitting around doing prep for OCS until early next year, whether it be RSP-O, an OCOP type thing, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
            What date is your BCT scheduled to end?

The normal timeframe is to come back from BCT, check in with your "unit" (ie - the ones who own you when you enlisted) and drill with them until your Phase 1 report date (Usually late Spring, early Summer - May to Jun'ish).

Now, a majority of the states have an OCS - Phase 0 program in place. You'd drill with them at your state's RTI (Texas is Camp Swift) versus your home unit and prepare for OCS. You'll do APFTs, Land Nav and paperwork verification. Phase 0 usually stars in January and you'll get orders attaching you to them for the duration of OCS.

Now, in Texas (and this may/is probably different in Minnesota), we are slotted a few number of AOCS and even fewer Fed OCS spots yearly. The cadre at Phase 0 *usually* decide who to send where (whether it be AOCS, Trad OCS or Fed OCS) based on the performances in Phase 0 (plus any age issues... like those OCs who are rapidly approaching the age limit).

A good, high APFT (270+), clean paperwork (no waivers, issues) and rocking it on Land Nav is more than likely going to be your ticket to AOCS.

Hopefully, a Minnesota OC or grad will chime in.
            Thank you for your information. My BCT is scheduled to be done on August 16. My Squad Sergeant told me yesterday that I will likely report to a "Officer RSP" (or something like that I don't know exactly) after the BCT and stay there until June 2014.

I think this path may work better for me because I will finish my master degree by next May, so I can get my education done before entering OCS.

I hope someone from Minnesota will give me more information.

Again, thank you everyone for your input.

Comment

A quick question:

Please correct me if I got the wrong information. I heard my recruiter told me before that when I come back after BCT, my pay grade will be E-5. And during OCS, my pay grade will be E-6. Is this correct?

Also, is that just for the pay grade only, not a real rank?

Thank you in advance

Comment

Originally posted by npthaiduong View Post
                A quick question:

Please correct me if I got the wrong information. I heard my recruiter told me before that when I come back after BCT, my pay grade will be E-5. And during OCS, my pay grade will be E-6. Is this correct?

Also, is that just for the pay grade only, not a real rank?

Thank you in advance
                Not sure if it varies by state, but in the NY traditional program your pay grade is E6 once you begin Phase 1. I remained E4 from the time I enlisted until phase 1.

Your pay grade will be E6 and you rank will be Officer Candidate (OC).

Again, this may vary by state and it may also be different for AOCS or Federal. Your OSM should have that specific info for you.
                Last edited by NY ARNG Woodard; June 4th, 2013, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X