X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engineering Major and ROTC/SMP

Is there any added benefit in having a technical major such as mechanical engineering when being in ROTC/SMP versus say majoring in business or liberal arts? I've heard it is demanding to study engineering while doing SMP and wanted to know if it was worth it to do ROTC or just focus on studying engineering and then apply to OCS. Also, would it be wise to pursue an easier major like business if I were to do ROTC or should I stay with the harder, technical major since it may yield better civilian employment?

Re: Engineering Major and ROTC/SMP

This exact question was asked/amswered in a previous post...

Utilize "search".

Comment

Originally posted by nolls1 View Post
      Is there any added benefit in having a technical major such as mechanical engineering when being in ROTC/SMP versus say majoring in business or liberal arts? I've heard it is demanding to study engineering while doing SMP and wanted to know if it was worth it to do ROTC or just focus on studying engineering and then apply to OCS. Also, would it be wise to pursue an easier major like business if I were to do ROTC or should I stay with the harder, technical major since it may yield better civilian employment?
      The added benefit is that if the Army draws down and you are not retained, then you will be able to find employment much more easily than some other dude with some other f*cktard degree.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that ROTC now assigns a different "weight" to STEM majors on the National OML.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
        The added benefit is that if the Army draws down and you are not retained, then you will be able to find employment much more easily than some other dude with some other f*cktard degree.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that ROTC now assigns a different "weight" to STEM majors on the National OML.
        They push for STEM majors, but i haven't heard anything straight as to whether or not your major is 100% taken into consideration aside from nursing cadets. I've heard horror stories of Criminal Justice Majors branching signal and completely falling on their faces either in BOLC or in their unit. Part of me likes to think the Army has gotten tired of commissioning cadets with worthless degrees but i doubt it.

Engineering majors receive an additional 1 point for ascension and math/science receive .5 point.

LDAC curriculum is being changed around as well. a number of portions are being dropped and BRM is being implemented as well. The fact that they don't place emphasis on brm for officer cadets astounds me. land nav is becoming more flexed
        Last edited by Jackal; April 9th, 2013, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nolls1 View Post
          Yes to your first question; no/yes to your second.

Comment

Majoring in a "liberal art" at a non top 20 undergrad institution is a guaranteed EBT card these days.

Comment

Majoring in a "liberal art" at a non top 20 undergrad institution is a guaranteed EBT card these days.
              sad but true. The days of getting an office job with a liberal arts degree are long gone. I cringe when i hear an rotc cadet say that they are majoring in organizational leadership. I cringe even more when i hear a hipster brag about his most worthless art degree

Comment

Originally posted by Jackal View Post
                sad but true. The days of getting an office job with a liberal arts degree are long gone. I cringe when i hear an rotc cadet say that they are majoring in organizational leadership. I cringe even more when i hear a hipster brag about his most worthless art degree
                Try majoring in "entrepreneurship".

Comment

The added benefit is that if the Army draws down and you are not retained, then you will be able to find employment much more easily
                  THAT RIGHT THERE

Comment

Working...
                  X