X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Journey to OCS (Federal)

Well it's "Official" - I swore in last Tuesday and I ship for basic on August 19th! (2 Days after my birthday!) BCT runs from 8/26-11/1 and then OCS starts the following Monday on 11/4!! I will be calling Ft. Benning my home for ~6 months. (Both BCT & OCS will be there)... Though there isn't much of a break, at least I will be in peak fitness going into OCS...that's how I'm looking at it any way. Hope my feet aren't too sore!

Question for those who have had training fall over Christmas, when does the exodus normally begin? The contracting gentleman at MEPS said its a whole three weeks off. Which would mean training wouldn't end until 1st/2nd week of March! Anyway, I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences here.

Hawks

Re: Journey to OCS (Federal)

I did basic & OCS at Ft Benning roughly the same period as you are going to. It's the perfect time to go...it's still gonna be hot in Sept, but it'll cool down nicely when the training starts to ramp up.

I think I was home 22DEC-6JAN for Christmas exodus, so just over 2 weeks (and a 4-day off-post pass for Thanksgiving, too).

As far as being in peak fitness for OCS, I wouldn't count on that. My run time took a significant hit from the lack of running at BCT. Make sure you ship in peak shape in order to reduce the losses.

Comment

Lack of running in BCT? Lol, when did fort benning become a school for girls? I was just over a 13 min two mile when I started BCT and a little under 12 min when I graduated. If we were outdoors, we were running. Walking was strictly prohibited.

Comment

Well, yeah, I mean I guess it's all relative. I was running about 25-30 miles a week before I shipped and about a 11:15 2-mile. I ran about 12:00 on the last APFT.

You'll do significantly more running at OCS, and all I'm saying is don't expect the running at BCT to prepare you for that.

Comment

Originally posted by enceladus View Post
          I did basic & OCS at Ft Benning roughly the same period as you are going to. It's the perfect time to go...it's still gonna be hot in Sept, but it'll cool down nicely when the training starts to ramp up.
          That's exactly what I thought! I will deal with sweltering (sp?) heat for ~ 1.5 months then enjoy cooler temps for OCS.

I think I was home 22DEC-6JAN for Christmas exodus, so just over 2 weeks (and a 4-day off-post pass for Thanksgiving, too).
          Ok, do you think my recruiter would have this information? Just curious how I could get it. I would like to work a week when I come back if at all possible...

As far as being in peak fitness for OCS, I wouldn't count on that. My run time took a significant hit from the lack of running at BCT. Make sure you ship in peak shape in order to reduce the losses.
          maybe 'peak' was too strong of a word. Im saying at least my body will be ready for the physical demands and it would not be as big of a shock if there was a large gap between trainings.

Comment

Congrats on getting Federal OCS, that is somewhat of a rarity here in the NG. What are you plans for branching? Do you get to pick before you go? Work your tail off while you are there and what not... you may earn a slot at AB school.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawks View Post
              Well it's "Official" - I swore in last Tuesday and I ship for basic on August 19th! (2 Days after my birthday!) BCT runs from 8/26-11/1 and then OCS starts the following Monday on 11/4!! I will be calling Ft. Benning my home for ~6 months. (Both BCT & OCS will be there)... Though there isn't much of a break, at least I will be in peak fitness going into OCS...that's how I'm looking at it any way. Hope my feet aren't too sore!

Question for those who have had training fall over Christmas, when does the exodus normally begin? The contracting gentleman at MEPS said its a whole three weeks off. Which would mean training wouldn't end until 1st/2nd week of March! Anyway, I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences here.

Hawks
              I ship off for Basic and OCS the same dates as you. Probably will see you down there. My cousin did bct and ocs around the same time last year at fr. benning, so if you have any questions I will try to help you out. Best of luck to us. We are both gonna need it. hahaha

Comment

You should visit armyocs.com, there numerous posts from recent grads that give you some good info.

Comment

You might want to look at armyocs.com, there are quite a few recent posts from recent graduates.

Comment

Working...
                  X