X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aviation BOLC without Spouse

Hello. It's my first post here, and I appreciate any information / advice.

I'm currently an E-4 in an aviation unit and I am currently preparing for OCS starting this summer. I have the support of my commander, my training officer, and my squad leader, and, although nothing is official, I'm planning for an aviation branch commission.

I have a very good idea of everything I'm in for, and what future responsibilities, duties, opportunities, etc... except:

How is being stationed at Rucker while in a long-distance relationship?

First let me say, I know countless soldiers have dealt with multiple deployments with not being able to see loved ones. I respect that (a whole lot), and I don't want to be seen as complaining, etc.

That being said:

My girlfriend (hoping soon-to-be wife) will be working on her PhD for the next three years and can't just get up and leave, so the PCS option isn't available. I can't imagine, nor am I expecting, any leave opportunities. But, at the same time, I can't imagine myself flying home for a weekend every so often just to spend 24 hours together.

Has anyone else had / heard of similar situations? How did you all / they find ways to make it all work out?

Thanks for your input.

Re: Aviation BOLC without Spouse

I'm currently in OCS with my Aviation LOA in-hand, just waiting on Phase III and August to roll around. I know a few LTs down there now and have known several WOs and RLOs to go through.

Because of the length of the entire Flight School program, it IS a PCS move. If you choose to leave your wife back home, that's on you. I'm debating on what I'm going to do myself because my wife is a full-time Army Civilian like I am, and we will have 2 kids at that point as well. The only "plus" for me if you can call it that is that I already live about 4 to 5 hours away from Mother Rucker, but as of yet I'm still undecided on what I'm going to do. You have the choice though to either bring your family or not.

Most of what you'll read from experiences on this forum and elsewhere is that the curriculum is academically intense, and will require a lot of time. Most will designate the weekends or at least one day down there as their "family time," while the rest is spent on memorization and studying. The first part of BOLC, the 6 weeks then Dunker, is the easy part. Once you get to SERE (about 3 weeks of communication blackout) and then IERW where you've got very long days ahead. Just from that you can imagine that family time will be scarce either way, so you just have to make the best of it.

A relationship is what you make of it, so if you want it to work out you WILL find a way.

Comment

Re: Aviation BOLC without Spouse

Technology is one way to stay connected....in CHBOLC we had several weekends off.

Comment

Working...
      X