X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entering ROTC laterally

I'm currently finishing my freshman year at a private university that offers ROTC. I've spoken to both a recruiter and an ROTC rep for my area so I'm in the process of trying to sort out my options for making up the year of ROTC I will have missed. The captain I spoke to told me my best option would be to enlist and attend basic this summer and begin ROTC next year on a 3 year scholarship. However, I won't be able to attend basic this summer, and I was not originally planning to enlist. Instead of waiting until next summer to enlist, I had a few ideas....

My ROTC rep did mention the possibility of compressing MSI and MSII into my sophomore year, but sounded skeptical and said it would be difficult. I've heard of this being done with seemingly no problems, so why would the one extra class be a difficult option? I feel like as long as I have the classroom aspects done, the one year of PT I missed wouldn't be a reason not to compress, especially if I am in good physical shape already.

If that is not an option, I will most likely enlist after soph year and do SMP for my last two years. I was also considering taking MSI next year just to get acclimated although I would not be eligible for a scholarship. However, I came across the Recruit Sustainment Program, and I started to wonder if it would be possible to enlist this summer (and thus be eligible for scholarship), enroll in MSI, and pick a ship date for basic for next summer while participating in RSP until then. Is this realistic or can I not pick a ship date this far in advance?

Thank you for the help, again I would prefer not to enlist but if I am prepared to do that, although I cannot attend basic this summer and I could really use the financial aid as soon as possible. I am waiting to hear from an email I sent the ROTC woman with these questions but I figured I could use as much input as possible.

Re: Entering ROTC laterally

You may find some difficulty scheduling MS I and II classes along with all your other classes. Perhaps that's what he meant.

What's most important to you? What are your priorities? I can give you better targeted guidance if I know the parameters of your decision making.

Comment

Thanks for your time. My goal is to graduate ROTC (with the scholarship that is offered with my school) and serve/drill as a 2LT upon graduating, hopefully while attending grad school or otherwise working. I'm hoping to get into law enforcement down the road and I feel this would be an excellent resume booster, in addition to the experience of serving and the sense of accomplishment from completing such a program. I understand the benefits of enlisting and doing SMP as well, but my main goal is to become an officer while obtaining an education.

I also figured she implied the difficulty would be in scheduling the classes with my current schedule but I am very flexible as I told her in the email I sent, I'm just wondering if she would allow me to take MSII without the prior experience of MSI...

Comment

I would strongly suggest that you go SMP. basic training, ait and experience in general will give you an enormous edge in ROTC and something to be proud of. plus your school is still paid for if your rotc plans fall through.

avoid doing civilian scholarship. It won't prepare you nearly as well for an officer career.

I know plenty of smp cadets that take a semester off to attend basic training and AIT. you can always consider this. If you have over a 3.0 gpa and can earn around a 270 on your pt score then your school's rotc program will definitely help you flex your schooling. If you are a nursing major then your odds of getting a scholarship are almost guaranteed as long as you can meet the standards.

Comment

Originally posted by bellboy3 View Post
          Thanks for your time. My goal is to graduate ROTC (with the scholarship that is offered with my school) and serve/drill as a 2LT upon graduating, hopefully while attending grad school or otherwise working. I'm hoping to get into law enforcement down the road and I feel this would be an excellent resume booster, in addition to the experience of serving and the sense of accomplishment from completing such a program. I understand the benefits of enlisting and doing SMP as well, but my main goal is to become an officer while obtaining an education.

I also figured she implied the difficulty would be in scheduling the classes with my current schedule but I am very flexible as I told her in the email I sent, I'm just wondering if she would allow me to take MSII without the prior experience of MSI...
          Completing Basic and AIT would give you constructive credit for MS I and II years, so completing Basic and AIT provides several advantages all at once. If you have a flexible schedule, take a semester off to complete that training (fitting it into a summer break doesn't always work perfectly, and it dramatically limits your MOS choices).

Read some of the threads linked in my signature file for some additional background on SMP benefits, National Guard ROTC scholarships, and service obligations.

Comment

Working...
          X