Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

New on the Forum

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New on the Forum

    Hi everyone, I have been poking around the forum for a few weeks now and have finally joined, as I am scheduled to swear-in here in April! I look forward to helping others with my experiences in the ARNG and learning from yours as well!

    Me: Im married, and we have a daughter who is 2. (Pride and Joy)

    My 'Stats': have my 4-year degree in Sociology/ Criminal Justice, am a Colorado Notary, and have no idea how to calculate my PT score (Qualified?)

    What I do: I work as a deputy in my county, and have learned more than I ever thought I would about people and how to deal with them. (Frustrating at Times)

    Our Co-Inhabitants: Besides our daughter, we have 2 cats and a German Shepherd mix who likes to think he owns the place. (See above tag line )

    Our History: When I met my wife almost 6 years ago, she gave me the itch (why do i see this getting mis-quoted? ) to serve in the military and I have been looking into it ever since. The main reason I am not Active Duty, is because our daughter has a life-threatening illness -a rare form of liver disease requiring transplant- and therefore moving from CO is not something we want to do (Childrens Hospital is Fantastic).

    Where I'm going: I just got the news from my recruiter that my slot at FEDOCS has been reserved and I go down to Ft Benning in 2014. I will be swearing this April and be headed to BCT no later than July 15th to hit the fiscal year cut off October. (2LT Bound!)

    Feel free to ask me questions as I will be doing the same of you!

  • #2
    Re: New on the Forum

    The thing that will help you as NG in FEDOCS is that you won't have to compete on the Order of Merit List (OML) for your branch, because you should more than likely have a branch slot reserved for you before you ship to Benning School for Boys.

    However, I know a lot of people who've gone through that course. I almost went there myself for AD. Run. Run a lot. The FEDOCS course is very physically demanding, and they are going to run your shoes off.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: New on the Forum

      Speaking of the branch slot...my recruiter says I can't pick it-which I knew that, and will not know what it is until I'm nearly finished with OCS...is there a way to find out early? Or will of be near the end of OCS?
      Last edited by Hawks; March 22nd, 2013, 10:16 AM. Reason: Typo

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: New on the Forum

        Originally posted by Hawks View Post
        The main reason I am not Active Duty, is because our daughter has a life-threatening illness -a rare form of liver disease requiring transplant- and therefore moving from CO is not something we want to do (Childrens Hospital is Fantastic).
        I don't want to talk you out of anything, but keep in mind that you can expect to deploy for a year at a time in the National Guard.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: New on the Forum

          For your Branch selection it will most likely be close to when you finish OCS. Between now and then there are far too many variables that can change in order to lock down a selection this far out.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: New on the Forum

            That sounds great....hopefully down the line you will utilize your chaplain in your command. Chaplains advise the command on religion, morals, and morale.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: New on the Forum

              Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
              I don't want to talk you out of anything, but keep in mind that you can expect to deploy for a year at a time in the National Guard.
              It is something my wife and I have talked about. The main concern is keeping our daughter near childrens hospital and our family near friends and family until post-transplant. (which they cannot give us a time-frame on yet) But thank you for the wisdom.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: New on the Forum

                Originally posted by Portree228 View Post
                For your Branch selection it will most likely be close to when you finish OCS. Between now and then there are far too many variables that can change in order to lock down a selection this far out.
                That is what I believe as well and have heard the most often. In addition to "the needs of the army" thrown around so often

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: New on the Forum

                  Originally posted by Hawks View Post
                  That is what I believe as well and have heard the most often. In addition to "the needs of the army" thrown around so often
                  Welcome aboard. I am down by Fountain stationed at Fort Carson.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: New on the Forum

                    Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                    Welcome aboard. I am down by Fountain stationed at Fort Carson.
                    Thanks Chief! I look forward to meeting you some day.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: New on the Forum

                      Originally posted by Hawks View Post
                      Thanks Chief! I look forward to meeting you some day.
                      No problem. I just got back from seeing the Croods. Awesome cartoon.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: New on the Forum

                        haha I may have to go and see that! ER, ahem* I mean take my daughter-I'm sure she would like to see it...

                        Thanks for posting the vid.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X