Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deploy in an O-2 slot while promo packet is at FEDREC?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deploy in an O-2 slot while promo packet is at FEDREC?

Hello all,

I have been a 1LT for over three years now. I have never been on a proper deployment before. Recently, I was about to deploy to Afghanistan in an O-3 slot as part of an SFAAT team, but then the mission was cancelled. Not just for me but for hundreds of others. It was a disappointment since it was a golden deployment opportunity. While the mission was getting ramped up and then ramped down my promotion packet got through state and has been submitted to NGB for FEDREC. It is a unit vacancy promotion as I am in a staff O-3 slot at my home unit where I drill. Assuming all goes smoothly at FEDREC I should see promotion orders by May or June.

Recently I have learned through informal channels of a deployment opportunity in a company that is about to go to Afghanistan. However it is for an O-2/platoon leader slot. I was a PL for a few years stateside before I moved on to my current unit. I know the company commander and I know I am MOSQ and meet all other qualifications for the position. I had recently gone through the whole SRP process without a hitch to get ready for the SFAAT mission.

Has anyone ever been in or witnessed a similar situation? Is it possible to join the company as a PL while I am still a 1LT, and then be moved into an O-3 slot somewhere, perhaps a staff position of the company's deploying higher HQ? Or would the FEDREC process simply be placed on hold or cancelled if I were to switch from an O-3 to a deploying O-2 slot? It seems like it is coming down to either staying home and get promoted, but miss out on a "real" deployment, which are farther and few between these days. Or deploy and get that valuable experience while I have an opportunity but be willing to hold off promotion for another year or so. Can a CPT even be a PL? I know some companies have Major's as the company commander. But I'm guessing this is unlikely.

Thanks in advance for any advice/guidance.

Re: Deploy in an O-2 slot while promo packet is at FEDREC?

Originally posted by Kameraden View Post
    Can a CPT even be a PL?
    I have never seen that in all my years. Plus, for a CPT to be in a PL position is moving backwards; not forward.

Comment

The most likely scenario is that you'll promote yourself right out of consideration for the deployment (at least in that duty position). If your packet has already started the fedrec process, there's no good way to stop it or slow it down, it's got a life of it's own now.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
        I have never seen that in all my years. Plus, for a CPT to be in a PL position is moving backwards; not forward.
        You wont see it on the conventional side of the house.

Comment

Working...
        X