X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMP and scholarship questions

Okay, so I have a few questions, but first I'd like to give a little background about myself. I am a full time junior in college and have just enlisted into the ARNG as of yesterday. I have accumulated about $23k in loans thus far, and have another two years of school until I am ready to graduate with my bachelor's in Kinesiology. At first, I thought the best route to receiving as many benefits as possible was to enlist, complete BCT + AIT, receive tuiton assistance, the Montgomery, attend traditional OCS for 18 months, and the SLRP. However, as time wore on my recruiter informed me that the SLRP was not as readily available as its made out to be, so there was no possible way for me to receive it. My recruiter then suggested looking into my school's SMP program, because it was another way for me to become an officer after completing my degree.

So my main questions include:

1) How does one enroll into SMP? Do I contract with SMP following my completion of AIT?

2) I understand that there are two ROTC scholarships, the DEDNG and the GRFD scholarships. However, I am curious as on how to receive and what are the qualifications for the room and board scholarship. From my understanding, one can only take either the stipend OR the room and board, correct? Also, is the room and board money sent directly to me? From what my recruiter told me, that the $10k/year room and board scholarship is sent directly to me and can be applied to my loans in place of the SLRP. Is this true?

3) My federal tuition assistance is separate from a scholarship, correct? In other words, can I receive the room and board scholarship and federal tuition assistance simultaneously?

Re: SMP and scholarship questions

Originally posted by ahockenberry View Post
    Okay, so I have a few questions, but first I'd like to give a little background about myself. I am a full time junior in college and have just enlisted into the ARNG as of yesterday. I have accumulated about $23k in loans thus far, and have another two years of school until I am ready to graduate with my bachelor's in Kinesiology. At first, I thought the best route to receiving as many benefits as possible was to enlist, complete BCT + AIT, receive tuiton assistance, the Montgomery, attend traditional OCS for 18 months, and the SLRP. However, as time wore on my recruiter informed me that the SLRP was not as readily available as its made out to be, so there was no possible way for me to receive it. My recruiter then suggested looking into my school's SMP program, because it was another way for me to become an officer after completing my degree.

So my main questions include:

1) How does one enroll into SMP? Do I contract with SMP following my completion of AIT?

2) I understand that there are two ROTC scholarships, the DEDNG and the GRFD scholarships. However, I am curious as on how to receive and what are the qualifications for the room and board scholarship. From my understanding, one can only take either the stipend OR the room and board, correct? Also, is the room and board money sent directly to me? From what my recruiter told me, that the $10k/year room and board scholarship is sent directly to me and can be applied to my loans in place of the SLRP. Is this true?

3) My federal tuition assistance is separate from a scholarship, correct? In other words, can I receive the room and board scholarship and federal tuition assistance simultaneously?
    You need to contact your school's ROTC Recruiting Officer. He will be able to answer all of these questions for you.

Comment

Re: SMP and scholarship questions

Many of your questions have answers -- check out the link in my signature block.

Comment

Working...
      X