X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP Officer

I am currently an enlistee with the MOS of 11B. I will be attending college next spring and participating in the SMP program. I've selected Criminal Justice as my major with hopes of pursuing a law enforcement career.

What duties do MP Officers perform? Obviously as an officer the job description can be quite different from that of an enlistee. Any help is much appreciated

Re: MP Officer

Line officers are responsible for the actions of their troops. Therefore, as a MP officer, you will first start at the platoon level as a 2LT, then you will become a company XO, then at CPT you would be the commander of the MP company.

At some point no matter your branch you will be moved into staff officer positions for instance you could become the battalion's S1 or S3....then once you become an old man you may have command of a something that isn't even in your branch.

Line officers command troops, and staff officers perform staff functions. Chaplains and CSM's are the battalion commander's special staff.
    Last edited by Chaplain4me; March 6th, 2013, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Reagan View Post
      I've selected Criminal Justice as my major with hopes of pursuing a law enforcement career.
      Please do not do this. The vast majority of law enforcement organizations do not value a CJ degree any more than any other degree. Meanwhile, there are no non-LE organizations which value a CJ degree at all. If for whatever reason your law enforcement career doesn't work out, you will be completely SOL. Get a more versatile degree that involves actually learning something.

Comment

Yeah, it's kinda like majoring in Christian Ministry....Douh!

Comment

Originally posted by Reagan View Post
          I am currently an enlistee with the MOS of 11B. I will be attending college next spring and participating in the SMP program. I've selected Criminal Justice as my major with hopes of pursuing a law enforcement career.

What duties do MP Officers perform? Obviously as an officer the job description can be quite different from that of an enlistee. Any help is much appreciated
          Terrible selection.

And here's why:

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
          Please do not do this. The vast majority of law enforcement organizations do not value a CJ degree any more than any other degree. Meanwhile, there are no non-LE organizations which value a CJ degree at all. If for whatever reason your law enforcement career doesn't work out, you will be completely SOL. Get a more versatile degree that involves actually learning something.
          If you want to choose a major that gives you the widest options for LIFE and law enforcement, take a look at the critical skills/education:

https://www.fbijobs.gov/downloads/FY...ation13113.pdf

Comment

MP's don't do a lot of the law enforcement function, especially officers. Do a search, this has been covered quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
              MP's don't do a lot of the law enforcement function, especially officers. Do a search, this has been covered quite a bit.
              +1 So true.

Squad Leader SSG me in Iraq conducting business

My former PL now civvie enjoying times in Iraq lmaof joking. She was really a good person.

And that is my former interpreter who was killed by a sniper at the IP station. I took care of that guy. 25th ID takes over my AO and he is dead a couple of months later. It hurt and I cried for that kid many times.

Comment

I will echo what jwarren has said and strongly, strongly recommend a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics) major. At most schools, you could still take CJ classes as electives, as a minor, or as a double major if that's something you wanted to do. The STEM major will be a major asset for you after you graduate.

Comment

A former TAC had discussions with us about this on branch choices. He's AGR and during the day-to-day he works state Joint Staff stuff taking pictures and doing public affairs work. He did public affairs stuff before AGR too. He just became promotable to Major and left the RTI to go back to the MP world.

His advice to us was "Why would I choose to do the same thing on the weekends that I do every day? I chose MP so I could do something different and more fun than my everyday job."

Now that might not be everyone's bag, but it's good advice in my book. If you're already LEO all day everyday, why go pursue that career in the military? It's also been mentioned on here how the experience doesn't necessarily cross over from the military/civilian worlds.

Comment

Unless you are a staff officer like a chaplain, they really want to recruit ministers for the guard that are really ministers on the civilian side.

Comment

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
                      A former TAC had discussions with us about this on branch choices. He's AGR and during the day-to-day he works state Joint Staff stuff taking pictures and doing public affairs work. He did public affairs stuff before AGR too. He just became promotable to Major and left the RTI to go back to the MP world.

His advice to us was "Why would I choose to do the same thing on the weekends that I do every day? I chose MP so I could do something different and more fun than my everyday job."

Now that might not be everyone's bag, but it's good advice in my book. If you're already LEO all day everyday, why go pursue that career in the military? It's also been mentioned on here how the experience doesn't necessarily cross over from the military/civilian worlds.
                      So in other words, he did nothing.

Comment

The two MP officers in my state hate their branch selection. They chose MP to get out and do law enforcement type stuff. Hurricane Sandy hit and who did the state pick to do road blocks, rescues, traffic control, search and recovery, etc?

Infantry.

What did he do? Nothing. He did some admin stuff and a few of his soldiers were called up as well but they were among the first sent home. His exact words were "I think the army just hates the MP corps"
                        Last edited by show_stopper999; March 7th, 2013, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Hooah go infantry!

Comment

To me, it is personal preference. Like I said before, I had buddies who were a CT State Trooper and another one that was a local town police officer who was a dog handler. He still did dog handling in the CTARNG and the other one was an MP. They loved doing law enforcement so much that they preferred to do it in their Guard duties.

I was civilian IT for over a decade. I also did that on active duty in the Marines and now active duty in the Army. Before I was a 31B for over four years on Army AD, I did federal law enforcement. I was a 42A in the Guard and that helped me with my admin functions as an IT manager. I was a 12B for over 6 years and I did civilian construction work for a short time in my early civilian employment. Did not like it.

Again, it is up to the individual. I always recommend that someone have a second skill, just in case they cannot find employment in their primary field.

Do whatever makes you happy.

Comment

Working...
                            X