Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prior service enlisted - looking for OCS

Hello All,

I am a prior service enlisted Soldier looking to attend OCS with the National Guard. Is the process of attending OCS that you enlist into the Guard at your current rank and then put in an OCS packet with your unit, or can I sign my contract as an officer candidate? I have been told the most common way of doing this is enlisting and then submitting a packet through your unit (which is the opposite of other branches where you will join as 09S or equivalent,) but I know that this does not work often in other branches as the unit does not want to lose an enlisted Soldier. I just need to make sure I am getting good information, and want to avoid locking myself into a position that I am not interested in. I will be signing the contract very soon.

Thanks for any insight.
    Last edited by VaR; March 4th, 2013, 08:55 PM.

Re: Prior service enlisted - looking for OCS

Originally posted by VaR View Post
    Hello All,

I am a prior service enlisted Soldier looking to attend OCS with the National Guard. Is the process of attending OCS that you enlist into the Guard at your current rank and then put in an OCS packet with your unit, or can I sign my contract as an officer candidate? I have been told the most common way of doing this is enlisting and then submitting a packet through your unit (which is the opposite of other branches where you will join as 09S or equivalent,) but I know that this does not work often in other branches as the unit does not want to lose an enlisted Soldier. I just need to make sure I am getting good information, and want to avoid locking myself into a position that I am not interested in. I will be signing the contract very soon.

Thanks for any insight.
    Both ways are correct ways.

If you qualify you can directly enlist as an Officer Candidate - 09S. Depending on how long your break of service is, you may or may not attend BCT. So you'd either roll right in to your state's OCS accession pipeline or do BCT then directly into the pipeline.

The other way is to enlist with a unit, complete your training (AIT), then try to put an OCS packet together later. Not necessarily any guarantees that you can go OCS this route, but most commander's aren't going to stop you from doing so unless maybe the unit has come up on the rotation cycle or your MOS is severely understrength.

If you aren't interested in the enlisted position with a unit and really just want to become an officer, then straight 09S enlistment is definitely the way to go.

Comment

Working...
    X